my 7.4V li-poly madforce…..

Viewing 80 reply threads
  • Author
      ph2t
      Participant

well, almost…. not there yet but I made ya look! hah!

This chassis will be running a 7.4V, 850mAh li-poly battery. I will be using my nelly deluxe turbo for this. She ain t much to look at now, but give me a few hours, lol…..

ph2t.

mocky
      Participant

another milestone in moddin the crap outta something until it breaks something (eg sound barrier).

ph2t
      Participant

well, I’ve gotten futher. This time I’m taking it easy.

I’ve now confirmed that the steering works well and that the RX PCB is getting the 4.8V (exact!) from nelly deluxe. Everything is running smooth sofar.

Also testing with the multimeter on the nelly deluxe PCB I’ve found the new MOSFET drivers are doing their job.

Given all that, now I need to install the mosfets on nelly, at the moment she hasn’t got any. I didn’t want to solder them on until I have verified it was safe. I lost $20USD worth of mosfets the other night by being silly in my analysis and not paying attention. I definately don’t want that to happen again,…:dead:.

betty.k
      Participant

holy crap!:shock: last time i saw that thing it did wheelies from a stand still! what’s it gonna do now, launch into orbit?:D:8ball:

ph2t
      Participant

depends on the payload, lol….

ph2t
      Participant

IT FREAKIN’ WORKS!!!

No fet blowouts, no overheating, nothing! Yeah, just pure acceleration. An the torque is INSANE! I’ve still got the challange of putting it all together but I’m sure I’ll get that figured pretty quickly.

All thanks to mah baby…

due to the package type, the n-chan mosfets are located on the other side.

Now, this is what you have to see. The video below is a very small and short one. It shows you how tyres warp so mcuh from the sheer power this thing is puttin out! Bloody brilliant!

DivX, 250KB (0.25MB)

http://users.tpg.com.au/ph2t/lpm/wow.avi

Now all I gotta do is put the bloody thing back together….

ph2t.

icebreaka
      Participant

wow now that is pure genius…!

Charlie Brown
      Participant

HOLY ****!!! Ok, I hope you are gonna sell these now, because I just HAVE TO HAVE ONE!!!! You are a pure genius….:D

Oh, and care to show us a schematic/diagram? Thanks! 😯

Edited by – Charlie Brown on 11 August 2004 03:35:26

Charlie Brown
      Participant

Oh, and ph2t…regulating the voltage down for the board and allowing full voltage to the FET/motor is one thing, but have you thought about using relays? Hang in there a sec….

http://tinyrc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16774&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

That’s where Mr. Bigshot uses relays….

betty.k
      Participant

charlie, you’re way outta your league here, keep quiet:8ball:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Um, i’d say relays have more internal resistance than a whoa nelly 1.2/deluxe.

ph2t
      Participant
      Quote:
      Oh, and ph2t…regulating the voltage down for the board and allowing full voltage to the FET/motor is one thing, but have you thought about using relays? Hang in there a sec….

http://tinyrc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16774&perpage=40&pagenumber=2

That’s where Mr. Bigshot uses relays….

Mr bigshot is Mr bigpoop, it’s BS. Try getting a physical action within a relay to turn on and off 1000+ times a second. Technology moved to solid state electronics back in the 70’s for a reason…..

ph2t.

merc-blue
      Participant

lol good call.. all of u … charlie dont comment on the eletrics unless u get whats going down.. the reason u see fet boards and not relays these days is for a obvious reason

dgs73
      Participant

hows stability? Just curious, as with your last vid it appeared to be abit top heavy, now with the battery on top of the chassis and the stock battery holders (im guessing) empty, wont that bugger your centre of gravity? Way top heavy at a guess now… easier to roll:question:

ph2t
      Participant

Actually dude, the lipo battery is cut through the chassis, have another look at the 1st pic. I believe stability will be the same. The lipo is a shade lighter than 4xAAA nimhs. It’s sits in the centre vertically of where the two batteries will go on each side.

I won’t know for sure until it’s back together, at the moment it’s all in bits….

ph2t.

dgs73
      Participant

my mistake dude, in my hurry i took it as being the front damper stay… closer inspection proves a) I was wrong, and b) very bloody much so. Kudos are in order mate…:approve:

ph2t
      Participant

lol, no sweats…:approve:

dgs73
      Participant

so now you’ll be wanting everyone’s old mobes battery, yes?:smiley2:

ph2t
      Participant

haha, nah mate, I can get ’em pretty cheap from a QLD distributer on ebay. cost me like $17USD shipped.

PandaBear
      Participant

Might be an idea to recreate the chassis using aluminium U-channel, and place everything close to the axle height – as low as possible. 🙂

dgs73
      Participant

are we about to see a prototype of the Mini Z Monster II? lol

jamiekulhanek
      Participant
      Quote:
      Might be an idea to recreate the chassis using aluminium U-channel, and place everything close to the axle height – as low as possible. 🙂

Ya mean like the 1/8 MadForce???

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant
      Quote:
      I’ve now confirmed that the steering works well and that the RX PCB is getting the 4.8V (exact!) from nelly deluxe.

Why? Is the servo too fast for you? Get too much range? The PCB is designed to handle 6v+, and some people have apparently run on 7.2 without damage.

SausaGe_LinK
      Participant

Better to be safe then sorry i guess oldtamiyaphile…

*looks at ph2t* gee i wish i had a nelly :approve:

ph2t
      Participant

otp, keeping it at 4.8V ensures that the RX electronics is operating withing it’s designed tolerances. Just because a few components might have 6V labeled on them doesn’t mean anything…

besides, I’m bit of a purist…

anyways, I finally got her back together.

Ok, this is it. I can’t believe how fast this thing is now. It is truely insane!

Just checked it on the tammy speed checker, on a half charged li-po pack it’s hitting 42Kph, it will also do backflips on command, lol…..no sh1t…

ph2t.

Edited by – ph2t on 12 August 2004 00:06:03

Charlie Brown
      Participant

I wonder how your MR-01 would perform with that turbo and the battery pack…:D

TallduDe
      Participant

dude i want action vids damnit! 😀

looks real cool man real real cool.

dgs73
      Participant

yeah, what he said. 42 on half a charge? sheeeet:shock:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I had no issues running my MR01 on 7.2v, apart from lots of damage from high speed crashes…

ph2t
      Participant

yea, but what am I gonna say? everyone has their own way…..

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      otp, keeping it at 4.8V ensures that the RX electronics is operating withing it’s designed tolerances. Just because a few components might have 6V labeled on them doesn’t mean anything…

besides, I’m bit of a purist…

MiniZ is designed for 6V operation, rest assured.

4x 1.5V = 6.0V… 🙂

(And probably a bit more headroom too to survive the crazy Tasmanians amongst us. :p)

ph2t
      Participant

yea, but 6V from alkalines/carbon batteries is nothing compared to 4.8V AND A HELLA LOTA CURRENT from nimhs/nicds….especially in the steering motor dept…

ph2t
      Participant

got some great video today, I’ll edit and upload when I’m at home tonight.

here’s a teaser….

icon.gif

ph2t.

merc-blue
      Participant

holy shit that looks faster than my M03…

jamiekulhanek
      Participant
      Quote:
      yea, but 6V from alkalines/carbon batteries is nothing compared to 4.8V AND A HELLA LOTA CURRENT from nimhs/nicds….especially in the steering motor dept…

Try measuring the voltage of a fresh NiMH/NiCd….you’d be surprised….

But the unloaded voltage means nuffink!! Measuring the cells under load and you will see thats where expensive NiMH’s shine….perhaps li-poly too, not sure

micro_Amps
      Participant

Looking good Ph2t, things have really been developing over the last few weeks (months).
      Keep up the good work.
      :)uA

ph2t
      Participant

hey micro, good to see ya still around dude!

here’s some video fellas, enjoy!

Divx, 3.5MB

http://users.tpg.com.au/ph2t/lpm/fullysickmate.avi

:p

ph2t.

SausaGe_LinK
      Participant

That thing looks wicked now ph2t, nice work. What motor is in it ? X-speed ?

ph2t
      Participant

nah, it’s a plasma dash armature in a bb can and Xtra Speed brand brushes. The Xtra speed brush is longer than the atomic and 3racing/yearacing ones.

The brushes have been re-aligned to suit the fatter commutator of the plasma. I broke it in for an hour yesterday and so far it’s killa!

The motor gets fucken hot though, very hot. I originally had a Sprint Dash (stock 30t) in there but it got so hot that I melted the commutator and the whole thing very quickly went to shit…..so the plasma is pretty much a necessity given it’s high temp, ceramic commutator.

ph2t.

merc-blue
      Participant

thats sweet.. pity it probly wont last long at thoughs speeds

TallduDe
      Participant

what a screamer!

i hope those alloy parts are holding up well dude, you need it to!

kitsune
      Participant

I’d stick to 4.8v 5xAAA NiMH = thrashing servo on the Iwaver as those who went to templestowe saw, If 4.8v works why push more through the pcb?

No one has asked the obvious question 😉 …
      So ph2t when are you putting the second Li-Poly in there 🙂

SausaGe_LinK
      Participant

Maybe try and make some extra cooling holes in the Can of the motor ph2t?

How many Mah is that li-poly batt and whats the run time like?

leonli17
      Participant

well, with the extra torque it has, u can even install some cooling fans in the car.

betty.k
      Participant

i now know the true meaning of “scary fast”!:dead::8ball:

ph2t
      Participant

I’m going to wind a 20 turn. That should lessen the torque enough so it doesn’t want to launch into ordit everytime I press the throttle…

ph2t.

SausaGe_LinK
      Participant

A 20 turn in that will make that things top speed huge:dead:

ph2t
      Participant

OK, lately I’ve been concentrating on improving the little bugger’s handling. Initialy I just focused on being able to lower the chassis but in the end I also extended the wheelbase to its max.

I tried a couple of things and finally decided on this setup.

I raised the front damper mount by just simply putting some nuts in between the plastic mounts and the alloy damper. I also wrapped .2mm enamled wire around the mounts to improve their strength as on my original grey chassis they had cracked eons ago….. I used the really long screws that come in the kyosho Madforce screw set to secure the damper mounts.

The rear is still undecided. Due to the way the rear damper mount is connected to the chassis it poses a more difficult problem. This is where I just was stuffing around and came up with mounting 2 damper mounts on to ear other. I used long screws thoughout and it’s OK stable. I wouldn’t possibly trust it hitting a curb head on, but we’ll see…..

I’ve also extended the wheelbase to the max. I used the shock rods from the rear on the front as well to help level out the steering that was sorta “curled up” (if you know what I mean) by the longer, lower front wheelbase.

She sits pretty well I reakon…..

Under full compression….

That’s low baby! yeah! :p

I’ve also got another lipo pack that’s smaller but the same voltage/capacity, I’m yet to cut out the chassis to fit it in. Sorta half undecided if I should try atomicmods’ li-ions…

ph2t.

merc-blue
      Participant

she looks nice man.. cant wait to catch som vids of it going

ph2t
      Participant

soon dude, soon…..

I’ve now cut out the chassis and put the new lipo battery in. I can now fit the original battery clips back on!

It was this:

And now it’s this:

much better!

ph2t.

SausaGe_LinK
      Participant

Looks great. Cant wait to see vid action too.

ph2t
      Participant

Well I just took it spin outside, man o man. she kicks arse now!

The handling is excellent! I can take 3m wide turns at 2/3 speed without any flipping. she sorta sticks a lot more. the car will go onto it’s side wheels but will have a greater tendancy to come back to ground than actualy flip over. one happy chappy here….

ph2t.

merc-blue
      Participant

man that think looks/sounds totaly killer

SausaGe_LinK
      Participant

Like i said before, looks great!!
      You should bring it down to the bmx track with me tomorrow, on centre road, after about 4pm when the racing is over. Do some jumps with it.

btw those neo’s are awesome!

ph2t
      Participant

Well, the only real time I get to drive this thing is at night, so I sorta riced it up a bit with 8 leds.

4x5mm White LEDS (a pair per headlight)
      2xSMD Red LEDS
      2xSMD Blue LEDS

cool!

It’s soo much fun watching this thing zoom by at 30+ kph looking like a fricken ferris wheel of lights at 1am in the morning……

ph2t.

betty.k
      Participant

um, has anyone seen the movie tron? :D:8ball:

merc-blue
      Participant

lol nah whats u need to do is mount a smd led on the wheel and a button cell get 2 of these on each wheel woudld look sweet

ph2t
      Participant

well, on Sunday I finally got some track time and video down.

lets just say that this little beauty was putting a few 1:10’s to shame.

divx format, 5MB:

http://www.woahnelly.com/stuff/lpm/beast.avi

ph2t.

bithed
      Participant

…Ph2t…ive said it before and ill say it again mate…YOU da man !! ABSOLUTELY insane !! i LOVE it !!!

bithed
      Participant

…ive JUST realised something…your board is now OUT of the battery case!! I was just thinking about doing that…it doesnt flop around much? How do you keep your servo wires attached cos they dont like being ‘jiggled’ hmm…The force is strong with this one…

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

i hope that thing stays in a padded cell with a straight jacket when not unleashing the fury…..

ph2t
      Participant

ok, here’s some (post) grass bashing pictures, the shell is a wreck again but it’s still better than what it was, it had a huge hole in the top where betty.k’s wireless video was hooked up. I love driving this thing outside and on the grass. Can’t wait for my pin-treaded tyres to arrive, they’re meant to work really well of grass….

ph2t.

leonli17
      Participant

mmmmmmmmm….nice and DIRTY

ph2t
      Participant

I noticed that the top speed had dropped off a bit. Also the machine still had killa torque, just not the same amount as it had a while ago.

So I thought I’ll pull apart the motor and give it a good servicing…

Now, keep in mind that the li-poly madforce had eaten a normal motor already, so I used a plasma dash armature for its ceramic commutator. This worked out well. The heat this motor generates is enought to seriously burn your skin if you were to touch the metal casing of the motor.

I have not changed anything in this motor since I put it together and broke it in. The motor was made solely for the lipoly madforce after I melted the Ultra Dash motor I had. (sorry bithed…)

During the last 5-6 weeks I’ve kept my eye on the carbon brushes (Xtra speed brand, great brushes!) and I’ve noticed a slow wear down. So I thought now was a time as good as any to do some maintenance on this motor.

Lets just say I’m lucky I did. See the pic below, talk about a mess, the carbon from brushes is everywhere. Notice there is still a bit of carbon left on the brushes, enough for a few more hours of lipo fun yet!

The bell end on the left is the original, the one on a right is a new, never been used bell end. The heat was so strong from the axle that it transfered onto the bearing itself. This caused the bearing to spin and to melt the sorrunding plastic.

bithed
      Participant

…you MELTED the ULTRA DASH !! you SEARED the shaft to the bearing??!!! Baby you got some SERIOUS anger contrl issues going on…Ph2t mate you are heading out of my league in the spare parts department…you need some industrial sponsors…lol…Keep up the good work though…I will do my best to keep up with you 🙂

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

*cough* plasma can/endbell *cough*

Try a heatsink on the motor man….you’ll find a way

ph2t
      Participant

Okay, it’s getting scary now.

Latest top speed, 54kph / 33mph!!!!

that’s with the following motor.

ATOMIC bb can (plasma dash type endbell)
      plasma dash armature
      plasma dash magnets

and a 16t pinion.

With the same motor but neo magnets it is 48kph!!!! The torque can put it through a wall…..

ph2t.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

It’s funny, back in 2000 when i first laid eyes on a mini Z, i wondered how on earth that tiny 130 motor could actually move the car…..

Today, these tiny motors are pumping out incredible power and pushing zeds at phenomenal speeds…

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh well the only thing i havent seen is a brushless 130.. but im sure a heli motor of a similar size would fit .. u know u want to ph2t

Pork_Hunt
      Participant
      icebreaka
      Participant

that isnt 130 size??

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

yeah pork that aint a 130…

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

Its pretty close tho…. 🙂 thats all it takes 🙂

TallduDe
      Participant

is the monster still in one piece ph2t??

would love to see a vid of it now man (hint hint)

😀

Charlie Brown
      Participant
      Quote:
      is the monster still in one piece ph2t??

would love to see a vid of it now man (hint hint)

😀

Yeah, I’d love to see a video…

BTW ph2t, you planning on using ferrite magnets (more top speed) in the motor?

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

you’re an idiot CB….

Charlie Brown
      Participant
      Quote:
      you’re an idiot CB….

Wow, thanks for the breaking news.

….He said “plasma dash magnets”….I remember him saying somewhere else that they were stronger than normal magnets….

ph2t
      Participant

yes tha plasmas are the strongest ferrite magnets I’ve found so far. for > 4 cells they are a treat…..

and yes that’s what I’m using as I sorta pointed out a few posts earlier in this thread. so charlie you kinda sorta stepped in that one. had you phrased your original question as you just stated above Jamie prolly wouldn’t of come down on you like that.

ph2t.

pimpsmurf
      Participant

Ph2t mentioned using a 16t pinion on his old MZM. Does that work with the stock main gear? Where did he find it?

Thanks!

-JNY

betty.k
      Participant

it’s not the number of teeth that matters, it’s the pitch (size). only thing you need to fiddle with is the spacing.

you need to look for mrs4 pinions, they will fit a130 motor and come in larger sizes. the ausmicro shop has a selection of really good alloy pinions,not sure what sizes are in stock though. better check8ball.gif

pimpsmurf
      Participant

Yet another question. I know ph2t is exhausted, so if anyone knows what brand of lipo pack he got to fit in between the battery clips like that, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks!

-JNY

Viewing 80 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.