my esc keeps overheating

Home Forums 1/8, 1/10, 1/12, 1/18 – Discussion my esc keeps overheating

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      betty.k
      Participant

i have an apex “equal” esc running a 23t (i think) tamiya super stock type r motor. the esc is designed to handle down to 10t motors according to the manual.

i originally got it second hand and ran it with nicads. then i got a nimh pack which triggered the thermal cut out after about 8 – 10 mins. i figured that was fairly normal, i run on grass and other current hungry surfaces.

recently though it s been cutting out after a couple of minutes and i dunno why. could it be that the recent overheatings has damaged it? or is it something to do with the motor like the brushes? they look a bit worn.:8ball:

PandaBear
      Participant

Try putting a powercap (electrolytic cap say 680-3000uF) across the battery inputs, and a Schottky diode across the motor terminals.

merc-blue
      Participant

also cecl the drive train for binding eg rebuild it could have got a stone or to much dirt some were that it isnt meant to have it and its casuing some binding

betty.k
      Participant

i’ll try the cap and diode but deep down i suspect i’ve killed this esc. not really sure why, the motor isn’t too “hot” and i’m only running 6 cells. i’ve checked and rebuilt the drivetrain, no drama’s there.

one incident that may be the cause was when i got a rock stuck in the belt (4wd) and i kept hitting throttle even though it had no effect. i assumed the thermal cut out would save the components but now i’m thinking i should be more careful in future. am i on the right track?:8ball:

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh the “stall” current on a motor is huge the thermal cutoff is basicaly a diode in there than tells it to turn off when its to hot and there not perfectly accurate so if it heats quickyl can still blow without thermal cutoff coming into play

betty.k
      Participant

well i’m pretty sure i’ve killed this esc and ordered a new one (apex “cubic”). but i wanna know if it’s worth keeping and repairing? or do i throw it in the “education” pile?:D

second question is regarding my motor (tamiya super stock type r). i wanna know (panda)if i can change the timing with this model and how. the new esc is forward and reverse and i think the timing is advanced on my motor making reverse a no no (so i’m told, i’m really outta my league here!). this motor doesn’t look rebuildable to me (how do you know?) so i wanna get clued up before attempting any nonsense. if i have to buy a new motor then i will.

ooo, one more quick one, how do know when it’s time to replace your brushes?:8ball:

merc-blue
      Participant

should have little springs that push the brushes onto the come take off the springs then pull them out. bassicialy u know when ts time for new brushes then the old ones are worn small

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.