My first attempt at a Daul Batt mod

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      ph2t
      Participant

Well, after seeing micro’s blazin’ daul batt bit on Saturday I just had to have a go at this.:approve: I didn’t have a cajones to experiment on a real bit so all of the following work was done on a Bensu clone.

Here’s the chasis, free of all electronics and motor/steering assembly.

Here’s body with the front section gouged out a bit. The pic is a bit dark so sorry about that. I had to gouge out the wall where the steering assembly terminates to be able to fit 2 batts.

Testing the fit of the two batts. Not bad! The extra one is raised a bit but that’s OK. I didn’t want the gouge out too much of the front assebmly ’cause I don’t have a dremel, bugger……..

Putting the batts together. Be careful when soldering NimH/NiCd batteries, to much heat and blow them up, whamo! Damn I need a good picture edit proggie….’scuse the mess…

Due to the solder points on the batteries effectively increasing their length I had to remove one of the battery contacts in the chassis (-ve terminal on the right), again sorry about the bad lighting… I left the bottom plate in though so the charger contact still works.

I wanted to keep design in a unmodded shell. With the extra batt in the chassis there is now no room for the PCB. To account for this I’ve flipped the PCB over(as many internal daul bat mods do.) The problem now is that the really big capacitor on the car’s PCB is to close to the front for almost any shell (apart from the Toyota Bb I guess) to mount on.

In this pic you can see the cap in the wrong location.

So I un-soldered and re-soldered it into a more “shell friendly” position. (minus the bluetak of course :smiley2:)

Soldering everything back on makes for deft handiwork. This is another great application for our friend Mr bluetak. Note in the zoom in the bottom right of the pic that the bluetak allows you to be able to hold the smallest wire ready for soldering.:)

With steering assembly back in place, antenna added and plastic cover put on we’re almost ready to go…

‘Tis a beautiful thing………

Now with all that out of the way (can you really tell I’ve got a new camera that I’ve been playing with, lol! :D). Here’s some video of the thing in action. Driver beware!

I added an extra steering spring to help straighten the beast, but hard tyres on a hardwood floor with inherently crappy clone steering makes for more work……….

z-beam
      Participant

good stuff ph! i cant see the movie cos my pc is missing software.:dead: whats the heat sink and motor you are using?

i tried selling some of my wares to mythic realities in prahran, but she waznt very nice…
      so do you repair pianos eh?

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Similar to last 4 dual cell cars ive made. Very good work considering you didnt use a dremel.

All you need now is the proportional control system and it will be a weapon.

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let’s get wasted and have the time of our lives!!

Cranga
      Participant

Nice PH2T

What are you using to hold the steering assembly in place? as it looks asif you removed the screw?

Its nice to be important,

But more important to be nice.:approve:

ph2t
      Participant

Yo Z! The motor is a clone @ 2.5 (you can thank micro’s DYNO for that measurement, damn that thing rocks!), the heatsink is from the same Bensu clone, not very good quality…. Yeah prahran pianos is my old man’s shop, worked there as a kid for years, he’s now decided to go online, site is still under construction……

Jamie, soon man, soon………:smiley2: Propo will work best straight off the mark, then build up to some serious top speed. Woah Nelly!!!!:shock:

ph2t. (who should be working…………)

Edited by – ph2t on 08 May 2003 18:49:36

ph2t
      Participant

Cranga, yeah the screw is gone (needed the space), but the clip-in nature of the steering assembly cover is adequate. This is a test clone so I can perfect my methods before modding the real (expensive!) thing.

ph2t.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Ph2t, try cutting the screw. It wil;l still screw into the small amount of remaining thread.

If life is a waste of time, and time is a waste of life, then let’s get wasted and have the time of our lives!!

z-beam
      Participant

ph! dont risk it! if the steering assembly isn’t screwed down the pcb cover isnt secure either.

you can do the nastiest collisions, i forgot the screw with a single cell clone and it smashed into so many peices coming off a benchtop.

ph2t
      Participant

Fair point Z…..I sorta forgot that the PCB cover applies opposite pressure to the steering assembly cover. Micro’s dual had the battery cavity gouged out the other way, that is the back wall connecting to the motor assembly. Maybe I should do that since there is no structural issues there, from what I saw……..

kevsta
      Participant

Can I ask where you bought your batteries from ?

I’d just went to jaycar, tandy, dick smiths and none of them had 1/3 AAAs.

Cheers,
      Kevin

ph2t
      Participant

I ripped apart a couple of my clones……

Or you can get them from here:

http://www.batterieswholesale.com/nimh.htm

Look for 1/4 AAA, they are rated at 150mAh and you can get them in a sample pack of 8 for $12USD.

Micro_Amps made a comment to me about the labels on these batts being wrong, can’t remember what he said but when he got them they were the correct ones.

Maybe you can go to their front door instead of mail order since they are located in Melbourne.

ph2t.

Edited by – ph2t on 01 May 2003 14:13:58

micro_Amps
      Participant

We have gone down this track before…..
      this place incorrectly labels the batteries we use as 1/4AAA, we all know they are 1/3AAA right.
      If you buy them from the link in ph2ts post, buy their 1/4AAA NiMh cells, they are very good, and cheap at US$12 for 8, and they are the correct ones for us.
      :)uA

kevsta
      Participant

Thanks for the info. Will look into it…

Cheers.:)

Crom
      Participant

Kudos to you ph2t! I’ve gone out and bought a clone. I’ve decided to try my hand at making one as well… Once all my exams are outta the way…

Yep, I’m still alive and floating around. 😀
      Uni’s just caught up with me thats all!

ph2t
      Participant

Crom, a word of advice with Uni, get in and get out as quick as you can. I turned a 4 year degree into 6! Enjoyed myself a bit too much. 😉

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Maybe you can go to their front door instead of mail order since they are located in Melbourne.

No can do. They’re mailorder only, as uA confirms.

kevsta
      Participant

They’re pretty prompt with the delivery. I placed an order last friday, and they were at my front door on the Monday afternoon.

The batteries rock, changed a battery on my clone, and the car runs for around 15 minutes with two charges.:approve:

Tried prying the ic cover on my tomy bit to do the same thing, and a part of the clip cracked in the process. I didn’t want to force it off further, so left it.

Does anyone know if the ic cover on compact char-g is glued on ?

K.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Yes the Compact’s covers are glued on.
      Try running around the edge with a craft knife and prizing it up that way.
      It will clip down after that but because you have already cracked the little clip off,(no problem) you need to hold the cover down with a little strip of clear sticky tape or something like that.

And yes the batteries do rock, so does the service from that battery site.

:)uA

kevsta
      Participant

Thanks for the info micro. I’ll give it another go sometime this weekend.

I couldn’t believe how fragile those clips are. I didn’t even apply too much force either. Oh well, I’ve got two oem ones coming…

Thanks,
      Kevsta

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.