My first attempt at customising a body

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

This morning, looking down the barrel of an otherwise unplanned lazy Sunday, I decided I would have a crack at modifying/customising a Bit Char-G shell.

My inspiration came from the excellent work done by fellow ausmicro.com member, ZeroBXU, as displayed on his site The Admiral’s Lair. Having discussed the usage of dry transfer lettering; wet decals; marker pens and so on – I figured I was ready to have a crack at it.

The photos that accompany this brief writeup are located from the homepage at Tech’n’Tips –> Bit Char-G. Or, you can jump straight to the images here

Step 1 : Find a suitable Bit Char-G body
      Today’s victim was a blue WRX body that had a TERRIBLE factory paint job (must have been a Friday afternoon special – LOL). I kinda figured that I couldn’t make it anyWORSE if nothing else!

Step 2 : Gather the tools and materials
      You’ll need a 0.1mm marker, some try transfer lettering, some wet-apply decals, good quality tweezers, an Exacto knife, spray lacquer, ‘smoke’ spraypaint and a LOT of patience (or someone to kick!)

Step 3 : Start cutting, dipping and rubbing
      This is obviously the most painful part of the process. Each tiny wet-decal has to be cut and soaked in water before CAREFUL application to the body using a pair of tweezers. Just find some interesting shapes/objects/colours, cut to fit and apply.

Dry lettering is, at best, CHALLENGING to apply to a curvy, fiddly surface like a Char-G. Take your time and be prepared for a few “scratch off and try again”

Step 4 : Paint the exhaust tip
      This bit is dead easy. You just need a steady hand to work a fine-point silver marker around the exhaust to give ita nice metallic finish.

Step 5 : Body lines
      Whip out your black marker and SLOWLY trace out the body features that you’d like to highlight. This bit is easier said than done – trust me

Step 6 : Tinting the windows
      As a 1/10 scale nitro racer who has done this MANY times before, it seemed likea good idea to do the same thing tothe Bit Char-G.The result was windows that looked like they’d been painted jet black and ended up obscuring all of the window line accents and artwork I’d just put on there. My advice – DON’T DO IT. Oh – one SMALL upside – now the tail-lights have a tinted effect

Step 7 : Some lacquer
      Some high-gloss lacquer from your local hobby shop will give the best result. Protects the decals/lettering from damage andgives the car a nice shine.All I had lying about was some matt spray. It actually gave an interesting effect. The metallic blue UNDER the matt coat gave the illusion of a ‘pearl’ effect.

Step 8 : Admire+Race ORCurse/Swear + Hide
      I’m not going to say that I was happy with the result I produced today(understatement of the year?). Wonky body lines – crappy sticker selection – windows too dark etc etc. I’m going to put this down to experience – even if it is to tech me that somethings are better left to people with artistic skills like ZeroBXU!

Will I try it again? ………….maybe.

Cheers

Derek

Admin
      Participant

Lookin’ sharp!!!

I noticed that, with my blue WRX, paint readily sticks to the wheels (as opposed to the regular “chromed” wheels). Hitting the wheels with a gold paint marker really adds a sharp touch to it.

Derek–can you give me a photo for The Admiral’s Lair gallery (or go over and post it–even better!)?

Admin
      Participant

Gee I took a more destructive slant to modifieing my body. The first victim (I mean subject!) Was a 97’ish Dodge ram pickup slot car body from Johnny lightnings new thunderbirds collection (4.95!!) I cut the bed off and shortened, and then reaglued to the cab. Much cutting (dremmiling?) had to be done to the wheel wells. Then I had to cut a mounting slot into the front bumper and the rear. I primed it today, and layed one coat of testers yellow to it. It will need a few more coats, as all the sharp edges still show primer grey. The body fits nice and as soon as the paint is presentable I willpost a picture. The second poor body to ravage was the original booster car clear nissan body. I want to make a replica of my 89 trans am GTA so I slopped Lotsa plastic model putty on the front and back and that mess is now drying, and probably will take some time to dry due to my liberal use of the stuff on the body (picture a Bit body with lotsa grey toothpast on the front and back of it. Im not scared to do this as I have some clay modeling history and Im sure I can pull this off (dan looks at the poor little body) I better pull this off or that body is MESSED UP!!

dan

Admin
      Participant

i spent last night till 3 in the morning fixin up my wrx body. I re painted it and put in window and body lines, glued the spoiler in place, kinda loose, smoked the headlights and blacked the grill work. then started in on the decals. I used decals from a warhammer decal set i had lyin around. turned out pretty good for a first try. I’ll have to take pics tomorrow and send em to the admiral and derek for posting.

ryan

Admin
      Participant

Send them to The Admiral? Why are you sending my bird pictures?

Just kidding. Please post them to my Bit Char-G Gallery anytime you like!

An update on the WRX rally decals: I’m still working hard on ’em. I’ve probably put close to ten hours into them so far, and I’m not there yet. Bear with me. I found incredible source material at http://www.swrt.com.

Admin
      Participant

posted images of my project car at the Admiral’s Lair

http://communities.msn.com/TheAdmiralsLair/

ryan

Admin
      Participant

My Trans Am Gta is done, so is my dodge ram. As well as my track.

Images for all are at

http://communities.msn.com/TheAdmiralsLair/bitcharggallery.msnw?Page=3

tell my what you think

dan

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.