my first project

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author
      hakhawk
      Participant

hi guys. i have finally started my first iwaver project. i bought a few bits and pieces from toyeast the other week, including a few new bodies. i have started on the subaru shell i got. im gonna lower the hell out of it, and respray it. not sure of the colour yet. im gonna bog up and smooth out all the body lines i dont want. excl. doors, bonnet and boot. i ve got a little intercooler im gonna put on the front. im thinking of replacing the grille with fine mesh and doing neons under the whole thing. im doing lights aswell. u can check out the pics i have so far in my gallery. only crappy mobile phone shots though. i also got a ferrari body, and a lancer, which i will also do up.

Edited by – hakhawk on 22 February 2005 00:24:09

dgs73
      Participant

coimng along well… you could also flare the wheel arches using a heat gun, giving more room before the front wheels’d hook up. Where’d you get the little intercooler? Cool as…:approve::D

hakhawk
      Participant

nice idea, i got the intercooler off a diecast silvia. u know that topic i started on the diecast rc car, i found some non rc versions at the warehouse, bought a couple, good for a few odd bits. being 1/24, theyre a bit bigger than the iwaver, but its all good.

z-beam
      Participant

“Where’d you get the little intercooler?”

FB6706A5FB5C60D6.jpg

you call that little!?

i hope your going to chop it to fit! be carefull of cutting away to much of the body for mesh, i have a subaru body on my z thats been through hell and back and it is really tough. but if i had cut any more out of it it would have been in the bin by now…

hakhawk
      Participant

lol, yeh, i have chopped off the pipes, and and putting shorter ones on. i do have a slightly bigger one with STI on it i could use 😀 i have decided not to remove grille. any tips on body modding and painting would be great.

z-beam
      Participant

heres a few ideas for colours…

BD55B9F0BD55B9F1.jpg
      this is what my subi looked like before it was given the blue/silver spray…

048AF7F8048AF7F9.jpg
      and an out of focus pic of what it looks like today…

bithed
      Participant

…that reminds me…I have a blank subaru in the shop too…If anyone wants it…I have too many bodies going…

…Hakhawk looks good though…Looking forward to it…

hakhawk
      Participant

hi guys, been doing some more work on it. i made new pipes for the intercooler now. starting to bog up lines i dont want. (slow boring process waiting for it to dry). got the body lowered, but i think i need to raise the rear end a bit (forgot about battery eight). the front wheels turn quite well without having to flair out the guards, but i think i might a bit. havent got heat gun, gonna try soldering iron barrel on low temp. check my gallery for more pics. oh, and how do i add pics into my posts? i also have a couple pics of the wings off the 1/24 cars i got and a comparison between one of them and the suby. dad and i are gonna go halves in a digital camera soon, so expect better pictures in the future.

z-beam
      Participant

i have put underscores (_) between the commands so they are shown…

type [_i_m_g_] put the location of the pic in the space between these promts [_/_i_m_g_]

the location of the pic is found by right clicking on the image in your gallery and then going into the properties option…

hakhawk
      Participant

sweet, thanks for that. now for some pics, so ppl can see them here.

05F647E805EF4FFE.jpg
      05F3ED5E05EF4FFD.jpg
      FB6AA0F2FB5C60D8.jpg
      05EF4FF905EF4FFA.jpg

oh, and nice subaru there z-beam. whats with those wheels on the green one? are they painted white?

z-beam
      Participant

i love how you painted the intercooler, i have seen those die-cast models before and thought they would look great on a z… have you tried the bonnet to see if it could fit?:smiley2:

im assuming you havent painted the car yet when i say this, have you glued the intercooler on before painting it? better remove it (and the headlights and windscreen) if you do do a spray, masking it would be way to difficult!

nah those are the original rims that came with the readyset… i know have alloys that are the exact same pattern:D…

hakhawk
      Participant

nope, havent painted yet, the diecast one is a ’04 subaru, so the bonnet will be different, and probably bigger.

i did have the intercooler glued to get the new pipes right, but its off now. the window and all lights are off, i just sat them on for dispay.

i havent even painted the intercooler yet, it came stock chrome with the sweet blue edge bits and “TRUST” on it. the pipes are off scrap 1/24 model kit, painted ages ago, but now that i look at it, im just gonna repaint the pipes gloss black and leave it at that.

oh, and the wings in my gallery are up for sale if anyone wants them. couple of dollars to cover postage would do.

z-beam
      Participant

could you take a pic with the yokohama one near the mini-z so i can see the size better?

what colour you thinking for the subi?

hakhawk
      Participant

here ya go, a few shots there. hope it gives u an idea. yeh, the colour, im still not sure. but i can use pretty much any colour from any car. i work at autobarn, and can mix my own paint for cheap as. i just gotta put a plastic primer on first.

0CD3A46E0CD3A45F.jpg
      0CD445800CD3A460.jpg
      0CD4D7DD0CD3A461.jpg

Edited by – hakhawk on 25 February 2005 09:10:16

z-beam
      Participant

i’ll take it! looks great and im sure it would fit on to the skyline i recently aquired…
      pm me with your details and i’ll send you some cash…

lucky you working at autobarn, can they mix paint to go into a spraypack or have you got to use the pant you mix with a gun and air compressor?

peteWah
      Participant

I still have to send you the wheels for that skyline z-beam, i forgot at the time…:smiley2:

hakhawk
      Participant

sure thing, pm sent. and, yes i can put it in a spraypack. customers $25, me $8. enjoy the wing and i wanna see pics.

z-beam
      Participant

thats awesome! $25 is a little to much but if were talking full size tin then thats very good indeed, i pay $9 for small tamiya tins of paint…

im not sure how im going to transfer this money to ya, useually i have to go into a branch of the bank your a member with and ive never seen a bendigo bank up here…

hakhawk
      Participant

lol, ok. it should be ok to transfer through comm bank. just let me know when its done, and i’ll send it. and, yeh, its a big 300ml can we do.

hakhawk
      Participant

ok guys, im almost done bogging and sanding the subaru. any suggestions on colours. i was looking through colour charts at work the other day, and well.. theres just too may to choose from. im thinking maybe an orange, or maybe a dark grey. opinions and suggestions very welcome.

z-beam
      Participant

what sort of mixing can you do at work?

is there options to add pearl,fleck or fine metalic bits of different colours…

gold fleks in a black base looks pretty sweet, ive also seen some far out jobs in magazines with things like pink fleck added to a metalic blue…

check out the pics of the sprinter i just uploaded… you can contrast colours with a little practice very easily especially using the cars natural details and the angle of spray to create nice highlights between the contrasting colours.

but for simplicity, black,white or my all time favorite for wrx’s dark metalic green…

hakhawk
      Participant

yeh, we just do basic colours and metallics at work, could probably ask a guy that comes in and mixes his own paint about adding the fleck or metallic bits. pearl i think is possible, im not sure, havent mixed many paints myself yet.

we mix the paint by hand, then put it into a pressurized spray pack. i can pretty much mix any colour i want, that has been on any car.

im after a straight colour overall, but not something standard. i want it to stand out, but not be excessive. and im going for the kinda stealth look. maybe a very deep green, almost black, but still green enough to see it.

as for the sprinter, very nice.

z-beam
      Participant

there aint nothing stealthier than matt black…

just dont go racing at twilight!

hakhawk
      Participant

update time guys, well, not much of an update. i have been pretty slack lately. few pics for ya. should be able to primer it soon.

0C4D38030C49A5A8.jpg
      0C4BB1FF0C49A5A7.jpg
      0C49A5B40C49A5A6.jpg

oh, and z-beam, little update on the paint, i can do metallics, and pearls. havent done any myself yet though. and, i’ve decided on a colour, holden green, from the vx-yz’s, u know, the metallic limey green style.

z-beam
      Participant

green wrx’s look sweet… did you have to chop out the holes in the bonnet?

hakhawk
      Participant

nope, they were already there, being an iwaver shell, they were different to the kyosho subaru, but they had a raised lip around them, as you can sorta see here.
      FB658FB4FB5C60D5.jpg
      FB6706A5FB5C60D6.jpg

that didnt match with my stealth theme im going for, but still wanted vents, so i smoothed the lip down and bogged in the edge around them.

z-beam
      Participant

keep it up! looks like its ready for primer!

hakhawk
      Participant

almost, just a few holes where the bog decided to sink in just a little bit more. but thats the joy of primer, it shows up any dimples and holes, so i can fix em. doing the door and window sills has been the hardest though.

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.