My Gloria

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’ve been workin on this car for a while now. It’s been in the garage on and off over the last month. Hope you all like it as much as I do. She’s great for a bit of night driving.

gloria_1.jpg
      gloria_2.jpg
      gloria_3.jpg
      gloria_4.jpg
      gloria_5.jpg

Her specs:

Custom lights setup using my 5V DCDC Convertor PCB.
      Spring suspension
      Green gloria shell painted with Holden Gunmetal duplicolour autopaint
      DoubleStacked mosfet H-Bridge
      Guitar string antenna
      150mAh NiMh Battery
      Custom modified Bit-CharG rims.
      EM3.0 motor, orange gears.

Yum!

ph2t.

Edited by – ph2t on 13 October 2003 14:51:38

Participant

Here’s some shots of how I did all the (very messy) wiring.

g_bod1.jpg

As you can see I’m using one of my little 5V light PCB’s to run the leds, in this photo I have it hooked up to a 3V lithium for testing. The 3V doesn’t really matter since I get the same output from a 1.2V source anyways.

g_bod2.jpg

Here you can see how the front white and blue leds are mounted. I made sure to keep the light fixtures clear so I had masked them before painting. I’m a big fan of using surface mount leds and not drilling holes through the shell, that’s just me. I put a drop of superglue on the area and then hold the led to it to ensure its flush and I get a good contact so the light from the led gets a much brightness through the plastic as possible.

g_bod3.jpg

The same goes for the rear lights. Dang there’s a lot of wires there!

The Rims

The rims were made from normal Bit-CharG rims with some putty(bluetak) and some masking/painting.

First I bogged up every other spoke. I then used a cut up eraser to flatten the surface of the bluetak. Bluetak is used to hang posters n stuff so it’s pretty soft and prone to warping.

grims1.jpg

Once that was done I then masked the outer edge of the rim to keep the silver edge. I also masked the inside surface of the centre hub to keep it silver as well. Lookin’ a bit freaky at the moment, lol.

grims2.jpg

I then spraypainted it white. Approx 3 coats giving about 10 minutes drying in between. Once it had dried fully I then removed all the blutak and I got this. Pretty cool!

grims3.jpg

The front rims were done using the same method. They might be pretty small but it’s still achievable.

grims4.jpg

Once all the rims were done I threw them on the chassis and we are cool to go.

grims5.jpg

Yeah baby!

ph2t.

Participant

nice work ph2t, looks great. nice whells, and as always, nice electronic work.

Participant

I’ve been tempted to go down the same road with the wiring stuck to the body. You’ve convinced me to give up on a light set to swap between shells, and just have a body that has lights.

Love the wheel idea. Good result. Should leave longer between coats though, unless the pait says recoat after 10 minutes. Rushing the coats will give a less smooth result, and a light sand between coats does wonders too.

Participant

Awesome!! That looks so cool.

Participant

You’re enterring that in the Comp, yeah!!?!?!!

Participant

Good stuff ph2t, love the wheel idea, might look good in other colours too.
      :)uA

Participant
      Quote:
      You’re enterring that in the Comp, yeah!!?!?!!

A few touchups are requred first. Gotta do the old “paint the inside black” mod to it first to realy make the lights how I want them.:p

ph2t.

Participant

Here’s some custom ph2ty video action:

http://www.prahranpianos.com/bit_g/day_final.avi

Divx format of course, if you don’t have divx got kick your own arse then visit http://www.divx.com.

ph2t.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.