My Iwaver Z with a few upgrades.

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

2×2 FET stack of SI4562DY FETs (you ll like this one)

da89f0b3.jpg
      6b6d9b45.jpg
      78538867.jpg

Carbon Fiber Midship Conversion X plate…now I need a Ferrari Enzo body….:dead:

48e911a1.jpg
      e3c37882.jpg
      4de93b7c.jpg
      101d98ba.jpg
      da4cb886.jpg

This isn t a really good shot….GPM Alloy motor mount

758c3810.jpg

And I need a ball diff (for more clearance and for WAY less slippage in the gears…With all the power from the FETs and the 35 turn motor with Crest Spinbrush mags, this thing fucking screams!!) for this to work, because the screw gets in the way…..The GPM 11T pinion….

0fc29050.jpg
      47d61567.jpg

It s not installed now, instead I have to use the stock 6T pinion because of the lack of clearance from the stock diff….and it s also what s causing a shitload of slippage in the gears inside the stock differential….:evil:

Now I have to get a USB/Firewire cable and some movie making software to take a video….:question:

Participant

Slippage inside the stock diff???

There should be zilch slippage whatsoever…..

I guess that thing would be close on 40 k’s??

Participant
      Quote:
      Slippage inside the stock diff???

There should be zilch slippage whatsoever…..

I guess that thing would be close on 40 k’s??

Well, there was some slippage with the 6T pinion, when I moved up to 11T, there was less….but I still need a ball diff anyways.

I think I may have already damaged my FET stack..when I resoldered on the motor hookup wires (I need stronger ones that won’t break damnit!!) and gunned the throttle with my finger on the FETs….they got really hot and I almost burned my finger. However, I didn’t see any smoke coming from them, so hopefully my FETs are ok…

Now to get this mutha crackin, I need a ball differential, a motor (current one went bust on me again :dead:), and maybe some more FETs just in case…

Participant

get a whoa nelly…….better than any FET stacks out there.

Participant
      Quote:
      get a whoa nelly…….better than any FET stacks out there.

I agree with you 100%, but for now, I only have enough dough to get the ball differential and a cheap motor, but when I have my next 40$ worth of allowance, then I’m getting a nelly (that’ll eat up about $30) and the 35T from Mini-Z workshop. :smiley2:

Edited by – Charlie Brown on 14 July 2004 03:30:52

Participant

Looks good mate.
      What do you mean by slippage?
      Like the pinion gear slipping on the spur gear, or the actaully diff internals slipping. If the internals are slipping then maybe they are stripped?

Participant
      Quote:
      Looks good mate.
      Like the pinion gear slipping on the spur gear, or the actaully diff internals slipping. If the internals are slipping then maybe they are stripped?

Yup, the internal disks are slipping, that’s with a 6T pinion. The Iwavers come with crappy differentials, but for such a cheap price compared to an “official” Z, I no complain. :smiley2:

Participant
      Quote:
      Quote:
      Looks good mate.

Yup, the internal disks are slipping, that’s with a 6T pinion. The Iwavers come with crappy differentials, but for such a cheap price compared to an “official” Z, I no complain. :smiley2:

WHAT INTERNAL DISC??

Participant

Charlie have you ever actaully pulled the diff apart?
      If it is anything like the mini Z stock diff then i can tell you that there is no discs, but 3 spider gears and some other shit which i cant remember.

Participant

are iwavers as fragile as i think they are, or did talldude just have rotten luck with his? ..and man that`s a tricky looking rear carbon plate, anything like that available for miniZ? ..looks like it wouldn`t break in a hurry!!

Participant

they seem to be fragile, but it’s down to the way they’re driven… i’ve never seen a real Z do its servo gears in such a small amount of time! You know of who I speak, Jay… that plate; available, speak to the Bithed, man with everything…:approve:

Participant

does bithead stock that kind of thing? how do you think that sort of plate would compare to your O plate?? sure looks like it could take a beating, handy for those who like to jump their Z`s!!

Participant

lol, guys, by internal discs I meant the flat gear attacked to the axle of the left wheel (rear facing you) and the other flat gear attached to the right wheel…lol..the axle of the left wheel rotates inside the right wheel, if you spin the left wheel one way, you’ll notice the right wheel spinning the other, but the lug nut of the right wheel rotating the same way of the left wheel (that, or should I speak English?)

sausage link is correct…aaannndd it’s not the fragility of the car, but how good the driver is :smiley2:

Participant

the car has somthign to do with it… if u gave shurikan (probly the best driver out ther) a BCG and u drove a schuey fusion u would kill him doing 120 KPH.. but wihtout extreames.. the iwaver is 30 usd you get what you pay for ther mr01 is aobut 100 usd and the quality you can see

Participant

must agree, iwaver got the suckiest chassis, take the switch out once and it’ll never stay in like it was. as me and tall dude learnt switch also crap. im sure with a bit of chi ching you’ll be able to get a nice running car.

Participant
      Quote:
      must agree, iwaver got the suckiest chassis, take the switch out once and it’ll never stay in like it was. as me and tall dude learnt switch also crap. im sure with a bit of chi ching you’ll be able to get a nice running car.

#1: Why would you take the switch out in the first place?
      #2: I don’t give a sh1t how “suckiest” the chassis is, or how much “full” propo it lacks. As Bird on Bitpimps said, If I have my Iwaver next to a “real” mini-z in a race, hopped up with the same parts, then I can just be a good driver and use real skill to make up for the “differences” between the Iwaver and the “real thing”.

Participant

yes but charlie do u have the driving skills

Participant

being in australia i doubt we’ll never know…

was a good point that bird had tho…

my mini-z was even cheaper than an i-waver, so what ever i can get out of it i’m very happy.

how much did the x-plate set you back charlie?

Participant

chill charlie brown! need to get some valium quik dude. iwaver is all good, being a proud owner of one too :D. It has flaws here and there, but nothing a afta market upgrades u would normally do wouldnt fix. i like the servo gears, ive driven it 5 times and full throttled no body crashed the front wheel into the wall, and so far no broken gears :Dmy luck eh :smiley16:. iwaver is a dream for any1 who wanted to use it to test dummy their lasted mods, cheap, works, of satisfactory quality

Participant
      Quote:

my mini-z was even cheaper than an i-waver, so what ever i can get out of it i’m very happy.

The X-plate cost me around 13 dollars, from here:

http://mini-zracer.com/shop/product.php?pid=856

Participant
      Quote:

The X-plate cost me around 13 dollars, from here:

http://mini-zracer.com/shop/product.php?pid=856

Participant
      Quote:
      the axle of the left wheel rotates inside the right wheel, if you spin the left wheel one way, you’ll notice the right wheel spinning the other, but the lug nut of the right wheel rotating the same way of the left wheel (that, or should I speak English?)

This is called a differential u moron, its meant to do that, this gives much more cornering traction and stability than a locked axle.

Participant
      Quote:
      the axle of the left wheel rotates inside the right wheel, if you spin the left wheel one way, you’ll notice the right wheel spinning the other, but the lug nut of the right wheel rotating the same way of the left wheel (that, or should I speak English?)

This is called a differential u moron, its meant to do that, this gives much more cornering traction and stability than a locked axle.

Participant
      Quote:
      Quote:

lol Charlie thats pretty common knowledge if your into cars and stuff like that, the idea is that the outside wheel is supposed to freewheel, making cornering easier because when you corner both wheels spin at different speeds. Usually the outside wheel spins faster than the inside.

If its noisy then just put some grease on the internal gears in it.

Participant
      Quote:
      Quote:

lol Charlie thats pretty common knowledge if your into cars and stuff like that, the idea is that the outside wheel is supposed to freewheel, making cornering easier because when you corner both wheels spin at different speeds. Usually the outside wheel spins faster than the inside.

If its noisy then just put some grease on the internal gears in it.

Participant

First thing that caught my eye is the midships reversed motor. Does just reversing the motor wire connections at the screws reverse the motor’s spin or is there more to than that? How much longer than the stock H-plate is the X-plate?

Participant

First thing that caught my eye is the midships reversed motor. Does just reversing the motor wire connections at the screws reverse the motor’s spin or is there more to than that? How much longer than the stock H-plate is the X-plate?

Participant

yup, reversing the terminals will reverse the direction that the motor spins…

Participant

yup, reversing the terminals will reverse the direction that the motor spins…

Participant

Ok, here are some more parts…

34e493b8.jpg
      8d8ca886.jpg
      006866a7.jpg
      433b794d.jpg
      e3c38800.jpg

-Kyosho clear blue chassis
      -Xtra Speed high performance motor
      -Bearings
      -Ball differential
      -Alluminum lock nuts
      -Stock Iwaver h plate/motor pod
      -2×2 SI4562DY FET stack
      -Delrin Servo gears
      -IC-3 batteries

Next steps are the PN Racing Pro Modified motor mount, rear roll shocks, an alloy 1st servo gear, a Woah Nelly turbo, and maybe a bigger pinion.

Edited by – Charlie Brown on 17 September 2004 07:43:48

Participant

so all that’s Iwaver now is the ‘tronics and motor mount? How much to do that, compared with doing it to a real Z? In your $$, our $$, whatever

Participant

dgs73, it’d cost you 121.4 USD (174 AUD) to have the setup I have right now…If it was a “real” Z, then it’d cost about 50-70 USD more (72-100 AUD)…

note: The Xtra Speed High Performance motor and the X speed are not to be confused….

this is the Xtra speed high performance motor:

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=144_21_80&products_id=5934

Edited by – Charlie Brown on 19 September 2004 01:22:51

Participant

How fast is the xtra speed???

Participant
      Quote:
      How fast is the xtra speed???

Can’t tell yet….I have to get other stuff, like a replacement 1st servo gear, a PN Racing pro modified motor pod, and other stuff…

Participant

can’t you just chuck it in the stock mount? slacka…

Viewing 34 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.