My modified Iwaver 01

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      wildthing
      Participant

I have here my modified Iwaver 01 (currently on “proto-type” assembly):

DSC00031.jpg

Stock chassis plate, stock motor, stock suspension setup.

Modifications:

Micro servo (GWS), DIY servo arm, DIY voltage regulator for the servo (6v), TEU104BK ESC, generic 2.4Ghz receiver, 2S lithium ion batteries 600mAh… everthing was being held only by double sided tape 🙂

DSC00032.jpg

I modified the ESC because I intend to use a lipo/liIo battery as well as a Plasma Dash motor. TEU104BK have a lipo cut-off but no BEC… so I have to make a voltage regulator so that I won’t fry my servo (I already fried one :D)

DSC00033.jpg

I have a cheap spare china made 2.4Ghz controllers and they were better than AM band controllers.

I still have to modify my BIG switch and add an implement to hold the body.

With my short small test run on my carpet track… it was running faster than my mini Z AWD.

betty.k
      Participant

that’s a hot looking setup! :8ball:

betty.k
      Participant

that’s a hot looking setup! :8ball:

z-beam
      Participant

looks hot, but very very fragile. it would be solid if it was stock, but with that set up a wall=death!

wildthing
      Participant

yup… indeed it looks very fragile… I hope to “redo” a customized plate chassis that could handle the set-up better.

will update this thread soon as I have done the changes. 🙂

wildthing
      Participant

I’ll probably change the ESC to an MC230CR or MC330CR… they’re “low cost”, have smaller dimension than the TEU, can also handle lipo/liIo, can handle the power requirement of a Plasma Dash motor and most importantly have a 5V BEC incorporated.

I also found a smaller LiIo battery that weighs less than half of what I have currently installed (but will be around 180mAh only) even on a 2S1P configuration. 🙂

betty.k
      Participant

you can buy an upgrade carbon fibre chassis, it’s made from thick cf sheet and is pretty tough. i should know, i got one!;) :8ball:

wildthing
      Participant

How do you cut those CF? I have 2mm thick “scrap” CF that will fit the project, but I am running out of patience in cutting it to size (with my hack saw and dremmel). It is quite tough! Any tip would gladly be appreciated.

Right now, I am eyeing on a rectangular tube PVC or a U-channel aluminium – both are easier to cut. The PVC have the same thickness and “flexibility” as the stock Iwaver chassis plate. If I cut one of the wider sides to turn it into a short U-channel, it could the right material. The U-channel shape will make it tougher on the main body, but the rear will be more flexible (like the stock chassis) because I will the remove the U-channel shape on that end to accommodate the motor mount. The sides can also be modified to accomodate the body mount lock mechanism and double as a battery holder.

short U-channel shape image

The short U-channel aluminum that I have also looks good and light, but if I go this way, I might loose the flexibility on the rear wheels even if I trim the U-channel shape on the rear to accomodate the stock motor mount.

I will have to convert the set-up into like the MR02 chassis to have a rear suspension.

But if convert the rear into like the MR02 chassis suspension style, I will have to replace the motor mount and add dampers/springs too.

betty.k
      Participant

this is what i was talking about. it’s 2mm thick.
      a02103194a.jpg

if i was going to cut cf i’d use the cutting wheel on a dremmel :8ball:

wildthing
      Participant

betty.k,

I was trying to “avoid” that option … huhuhu… 🙂

okay, if my DIY don’t go well, I’ll fire up my paypal…. :gatlin: :smiley15:

wildthing
      Participant

Anyway, I had my Iwaver modified (more permanent this time) – as mentioned above, I used a Tamiya TEU104BK ESC, DIY 6v power regulator for the receiver & servo, 2.4Ghz controllers, Towerpro 9gm Micro Servo, DIY servo arm, Lithium Ion Batteries 7.2v 600mAh:

Setup 1) Stock motor, T8 pinion gear – top speed runs 31 to 32kph
      YOUTUBE VIDEO LINK – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiWEfh2a_Kw

Setup 2) Plasma Dash motor (pang mini4WD), T6 pinion gear (smallest available) – top speed runs 40 to 41kph
      YOUTUBE VIDEO LINK – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74gF0sns6Yg

Setup 3) Plasma Dash motor, T8 pinion gear – top speed runs 51 to 53kph
      YOUTUBE VIDEO LINK – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asdhiYWyYJ4

T8 is not yet the largest … I still have a T9 but the motor bracket was broken so I could not use it.

BTW, the Plasma Dash runs a bit hot (but my esc can handle it)… maybe an upgrade to a metal (aluminum) motor mount is needed if this will be used permanently.

betty.k
      Participant

that thing’s gonna be a handful on a track! nice work :8ball:

wildthing
      Participant

Details and images of my modified Iwaver 01:

Version 1.0
      DSC00031.jpg

Version 1.1
      IwaverModifiedv11a.jpg

Details of version 1.1:

Battery – 2S configuration with balance wires
      2sLiIo.jpg

DIY Adapter plates for the ESC and Receiver (I don’t want to destroy yet the stock battery and electronic mount)
      IwaverModifiedv11b.jpg
      IwaverModifiedv11c.jpg

wildthing
      Participant

Modified switch position
      IwaverModifiedv11d.jpg

Tamiya TEU104BK ESC – with “built-in” DIY voltage regulator
      TEU104BKv2b.jpg
      TEU104BKv2a.jpg
      the voltage regulator is a 7806 IC with two electrolytic capacitors

The cost of my Iwaver upgrade was about AUS$250:

1 pc – 2mm x 12mm hex bolt (any 2mm bolt should work) for the servo arm – AUS$0.46
      1 pc – Towerpro micro servo 9gm – AUS$12.50 (bought from seller in my country)
      2 pcs – Lithium Ion Batteries, 3.3v 600mAh (from a laptop battery repair/seller shop) – AUS$14.00 each
      2 pairs – micro plugs (from an electronic shop) – AUS$ 0.16 each pair
      1 set – DIY 6v power regulator (7806, 2 electrolytic capacitors from electronic shop) – about AUS$ 3.00
      1 pc – Tamiya TEU104BK ESC (from local reseller) – AUS$ 40.00
      1 set – Generic 2.4Ghz controllers from seller in singapore – AUS$ 160.00
      1 pc – Tamiya Plasma Dash motor for mini4WD – AUS$ 11.00

The controller was the most expensive… BUT I have come across already of an option that is about US$ 20.00 only (freight cost will probably be another US$ 10.00). So if this work out, the “upgrade cost” is only about AUS$ 132.00

The Iwaver 01 I got was around US$ 60.00 (including shipping). So the actual total project cost was around AUS$ 330.00

However, if could get the Iwaver in wholesale, the Iwaver 01 will cost US$ 20.00 less … so it could go down around AUS$ 300.00

And if I could get the cheaper 2.4Ghz… then the whole thing could be as low as AUS$ 190.00

wildthing
      Participant

Atomic mods’ version of a 53kph miniZ (MR02):
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6ywHxzw3-I
      Mini-Z AtomicBuilt Manhattan V2.0
      http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/Mini-Z-AtomicBuilt-Manhattan-V20__10990.aspx

at a staggering cost of US$799.99 (nearly 4 times my cost)

auldey
      Participant

dko po ma gets yng upgrade ng iwaver pwd po ba mag 2 lipo battery agad walng babaguhin sa eletcronics newbie lang po ko

wildthing
      Participant

^^ you can not use the stock electronics (PCB) of iwaver with 2 lipo configured 2S (series) because it will produce a voltage higher than what the board can handle and eventually will burn the board.

but you can use 2 lipo if configured 2P (parallel).

PandaBear
      Participant

looks like a bit of work! 🙂

wildthing
      Participant

indeed it was a bit of work….. hehehe

I am still searching for a small ESC for this size… so someday I will update this thread with more “compe***ively” configured hacked Iwaver to match a mini Z (MR03).

PandaBear
      Participant

what kind of ESC specs do you need?

go look for a Nosram Dominator or its LRP equivalent, from like 10y back
      they’re made for 540s so they’d be “unlimited” for 130 motors

or go brushless for MiniT? 🙂

mangoman
      Participant

Do people still sell iwaver parts?
      I just bought an 05 (bigfoot) for my nephew.

Got an iwaver02 sitting on the shelf at home but figured that since hes so young the bigfoot might have a bit more ground clearance to run over things and have a bit of fun inside of the house.

Anyway looking around i dont see much trace of the iwavers anymore.
      It’s a real shame, as to me it seemed like a nice little entry level car as opposed to some of the rubbish you buy from a big chain department stores or those mass sell cheap ebay remote control things.

Will the 3racing/atomic/….. mini-z parts generally speaking direct fit?

Thanks,
      Martin

PS. Sorry to read your forums have come across hard times. I never got into micro stuff but i remember these threads being quite active not that long ago.
      Also figured i’d post here as the threads werent letting me start up a new thread.

betty.k
      Participant

the iwaver 02 (as opposed to the 02m) will take the same parts as a kyosho mini z mr02, you could try rc kennon for that stuff.

the bigfoot though may find you shopping locally (vic), try gigspeed

http://www.GiGspeed.com.au
      http://www.facebook.com/gigspeed
      :8ball:

mangoman
      Participant

Cheers thanks betty.k

It’s still in 1 piece but hes only 5 so i expect it to be broken in the VERY near future.

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.