new esc is causing glitching

Home Forums 1/8, 1/10, 1/12, 1/18 – Discussion new esc is causing glitching

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      betty.k
      Participant

i recently dropped a mtronics digi sport max esc (reverse, brake, no motor limit) in my rs4 rally and the voltage drop on take off is so massive it s starving the rx. this means if i accelerate hard at a distance greater than 10m it glitches madly.
      i m thinking i need a big capacitor on the battery terminals but i m unsure what voltage or value i need. i tried a 16v 1000uf cap and it seemed to help a little but not enough.

so what s going on? i m only running a 19t motor so there s no real pressure on the esc, right?:8ball:

PandaBear
      Participant

Futaba RX should usually be pretty tolerant… blackeye:

Toss out the big cap on the powerleads, it don’t do nothing for your issue.

Instead you should get an extra servo lead (or the red plug from your 4-cell battery box) and wire that to the capacitor instead; plug that “stutter-stopper cap” into the BATT slot in the RX.

betty.k
      Participant

aha!! i had a sneaking suspicion that might be the case. and you’re right, the cap on the batt leads does nuthin for me!
      so am i right in assuming i should go for a 25v cap (approx 3 x 7.2v)? 1000uf a good start?:8ball:

FALCON-LORD
      Participant

Can’t you drop a separate Batt pack on your RX and servo? this isolates the voltage for the receiver from the Motor, and should alleviate the issue.

betty.k
      Participant

that would work but i’m saving that as an absolute last resort. i really don’t want to find room for another bulky batt pack in an electric car:8ball:

mini-g
      Participant

try thwe caps, also untie your wiring from the top plate, worth a try.

BIG DAVE

PandaBear
      Participant

Anti-stutter cap can be anything from a 10V 680uF & up. Probably can’t buy anything less than 16V or 25V these days.

Might want to make sure you’ve got 3 filter caps on your motor too, just need 103 or 103 ceramics or tagtams.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.