new improved camera tank

Home Forums 1/8, 1/10, 1/12, 1/18 – Discussion new improved camera tank

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      betty.k
      Participant

lately i ve been thinking about a new and improved camera tank and i came across a couple of perfect candidates. i scored 2 tanks, 1 assembled but never run and one still in the box from merc blue.
      they come with fully articulated tracks, crude but effective suspension, 280 size motors and gearboxes and a stupid switchbox thingy so it can be driven using servos and an rx.
      BDD4AC98BDD4AC99.jpg

it s much bigger than my old one which i like. i also like the top part, i would have removed a cannon if it had one as i intend it to be a camera tank again.
      i ve already cut out a viewhole and sorted out the camera mounting.
      BDD69DE9BDD4AC9B.jpg
      BDD8778BBDD4AC9E.jpg

since taking those pics i ve given it the camo treatment and i plan on using some cheap sunglasses as a window for the viewhole.
      i ve installed a 29mhz hitec rx and 2 x tamiya teu-101bk (stock) escs. i m powering it with an old venom 1500mah nicad stick pack but i plan on using aa s or something else smaller to reduce the weight.
      i modified an old hitec stick tx so the steering controller now moves up and down making controlling it less confusing

it runs really smooth now thanks to some tweaking of the design and has a reasonable top speed of about 10kph. only problems so far is the plastic tracks are not so grippy but i ll assemble the tracks from the new kit and maybe use rubber sticky pads or just glue (150!!) individual bits of rubber to eack track peice.

one good thing is there s still plenty of room inside the body for more electro gizmos, flamethrower, bird net cannon, water pistol, harpoon launcher, blah blah blah!

if i can work out how to hook up the night vision scope to the camera……. :smiley2::8ball:

empirebayjmt
      Participant

Yeah betty the night vision does attach to cameras but only certain ones??? dON’T KNOW WHICH SORT it said in the instructions something about a bayonet adaptor ??? SLR cameras i think ?

betty.k
      Participant

that sounds encouraging:smiley2:

anyway, have a look at this little beauty!!!!:p
      C71F43E8C718DF03.jpg
      C720A1E2C718DF04.jpg
      C7222814C718DF05.jpg

here’s the guts.
      C718DF01C718DF02.jpg

i need to lose some of the excess wiring but it’s pretty compact as is. the escs sit nicely on the gearboxes and the rx sits in the middle. i’ve found tanks work best if the front is heavier so the batteries are up front. that’s where the battery compartment was anyway. this kit was designed to use one of those 9.6v packs (8 x AA) but the escs are only meant to run on 6 cells so i’ll have to look around at batteries that are lighter than the ones in my stick packs.

i got a stick tx with the rx originally and i wanted a proper tank tx so after some chopping and gluing i modified the tx so both controllers move up and down. looks messy but works really well.
      C72727AEC718DF06.jpg

only things i got left to do are make a windscreen, sort out some other power source (maybe i might enter the world of lithium?) paint the tracks and make em grippier. i also want to seal all the little holes and make a cover for the rear vents so it can withstand a bit of rain.

this sure is one fun toy!:clown::8ball:

hakhawk
      Participant

lookin great so far, lovin that camo paintwork

betty.k
      Participant

so a little while back i decided to iron out some issues with this thing.

the stock gear ratio was 10:1, too high for a crawler so i checked out the tamiya gearbox range. i settled on the “high power gearbox”, can be set up as either 64.8:1 or 41.7:1. i went with the latter, i felt it would be low enough.
      70003_Tamiya_High_Power_Gear_Box_E.jpg

i needed 2 and they took quite a lot of modding to fit them in the chassis. in fact that back end took about a week to modify in order to accomodate the new gearboxes, it’s pretty much rebuilt but you can’t really tell by looking.

i bought an intellect 1200mah pack to run it, i estimate i’d get at least 30 mins of continuous run time from it, more than enough.
      i also wanted the camera and it’s battery mounted in the chassis with the rest of the guts.

it was also too low, kept getting caught on grass and the old gearboxes didn’t have the grunt to get out of it and the plastic tracks offered no grip.
      not very becoming of a tank!

i softened and bent the idler wheel axles and raised it a full inch.
      then i set about cutting and glueing 152 little blocks of foam rubber to eack section of track (just as painful as you think it was!)

now it tears through any terrain within reason. the combination of grip, torque and clearance has made a night and day difference. i can crawl up a wall and flip on my back if i want now. 😮
      it’s no speed demon, top speed is walking pace.

so i got it to walk the walk but it still needed to talk the talk! so a little weatherproofing was in order.

i bought a replacement lens for motorbike goggles (made from lexan!) and made a window for the camera. i screwed it onto some more foam rubber for a watertight seal.

the rear needed a cover and i made one from a maglite case, was the perfect size! sealed it the same as the window and it’s easily removeable for hot weather.
      i also plugged any holes in the lid and i just use a blob of blutac around the camera aerial and i’m happy to report it can withstand a heavy vertical downpour without a drop of water getting in! it can also go through puddles up to 1 inch deep without issue, 2 inches for short periods.

here’s my favourite little hidey hole, i can drive it there without leaving my seat and it gives me a full view of the driveway and street.

so there ya go, probably a month’s solid work from start to finish but worth every second to me. :8ball:

merc-blue
      Participant

nice tank betty they still bassed around the tanks i sold you?
      looks pretty sweet also if you want a nicer looking TX LMK i got one that had the joysticks screwed in so you can just unscrew and rescrew them to be all nice

betty.k
      Participant

yep, that’s still the dynatrack tank i got from you way back! i’m using some track from the other kit in this one due to the lift and lengthened “wheelbase” so the other kit is spares.:8ball:

betty.k
      Participant

shot a quick vid of me driving from my room to my hidey hole: :8ball:
      http://home.iprimus.com.au/trentheffer/spytank.wmv

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

WOW!!! Very cool dude!

I got me one of these cameras off ebay for $36aud shipped, intended it for my surveillance helicopter or a r/c car bash cam. I figured for the price it wouldn’t be the end the world if it got smooshed against a tree or something.

Keep up the good work dude, any pretty ladies living in your street?

Ogier
      Participant

That’s really cool.

But you didn’t look left & right before crossing the road (Driveway).
      If you want night vision, you can try adding a bunch of infra red LEDs – the CMOS sensor in the camera should pickup the infra red and give you a black & white image, and no one can see the light.

You’d nead a good number of LEDs though.

Cheers, Graham.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.