*new* melbourne track….lol….

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
      ph2t
      Participant

There’s a new melbourne “track” and it’s in my garage! It’s currently 2.4m x 2.4m with 58cm wide lanes (what was I thinking) but it WILL grow!

track1.jpg

Overall investment so far is about $160, that’s 16 mats and the barrier materials. 🙂 Strike one for clarke rubber….

My problems are a bloody leaky roof that I’m slowly fixing and just a lot of crap I don’t know where to store, lol….

Once it’s all done I would like to start holding monthly meets, see if we can drum up bit of a following!

ph2t.

betty.k
      Participant

looks like i’ll have to scrape the cobwebs off the ol’ z! literally!:D :8ball:

kevsta
      Participant

Looking good, I use the clark rubber ones as well and they are pretty good quality mats. I found that the track width of one tile is too narrow for me to get any decent speeds, so am in the process of removing all the track barriers (which were glued down) and just having the track barriers around the edge of the mats only. My plans are to simply use round foam barriers like those pool noodles or whatever they’re called, and using elastic bands to fix them to the tiles where they join up with each other.

If you were in Sydney, I’d turn up for a run.:smiley14:

betty.k
      Participant

hey, i forgot to ask. what sorta tyres are working with this surface? are all my foam tyres useless now? do i gotta place a full on order for rubber? :8ball:

ph2t
      Participant

I’m using these split pins to just pin the siderail foam to the mats, so far it works. I got them from bunnings, a few bucks for a pack of 30. I’ve yet to run a car with a shell on the track but I think the rails can be run over so they might not be high enough, lol…

Bet Bet, I’m not too sure on the right tyre settings, but it’s all to do with soft rubber compounds, < 10deg usually. I'm running with a standard concrete setup: 20deg ATOMIC X patterns on the front and the GQ soft trued foams on the rear. With this setup it's like flies on shit, very stick, lots of oversteer it you're not too carefull.

As you said Kevsta, I’m finding the tile wide lanes hard to stay within myself! Might pop a stock motor in and see how it goes.

I’ve heard also that you have to wait for the dust on the mats to settle or something, maybe it was only to do with RCP, I’m not sure. Go figure. lol.

cheers,

ph2t.

ph2t
      Participant

Here’s a small vid:

http://www.woahnelly.com/stuff/mr02/track_test_run1.wmv

Bluetak does wonders….. 🙂

Renton
      Participant

I love it ph2t

ph2t
      Participant

thanks Renton, you in Melb?

Renton
      Participant

unfortunately not ph2t 🙁

am in Melbourne every now and again most years, so will definitely have to speed my next trip up by the looks of it

whtang
      Participant

nice track… 58cm wide.. thats about as wide is the mini96 RCP track’s isn’t it? they always seemed to look wide enough… 🙂
      you’ve got my vote for monthly meets :p

ken_wyleung
      Participant

its looking good!

ph2t
      Participant

If I could only get the leaks out of the roof…….Still working on that!

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

get the leaks outta the roof?

cut them out… 😛

am amazed at some of the cornering ability on RCP track vids.. must be mountains of traction

icebreaka
      Participant

I’m making a track too, I used tiles from Super cheap auto $20 p/4.. Nice smooth grippy surface, but theres a few noticeable height differences at the joins (1 – 2mm)..

Still trying to find a good way to temporarily tie down foam barriers.. might have to try split pins as well.. Oh and I’m planning to use a 1.5 Tile width.. Like Kevsta said, can’t really push the speed up with the 1 tile width…

I noticed ALDI has a sale on similar tiles starting 28th August.. $20 p/6

ph2t
      Participant

Yeah the pins hold the track barriers down but they don’t domuchmore than that. The barrier is quite flexible so in a real race it would be useless.

I got my foams from Clarke RUbber, they mesh well, no noticible bumps in the joins and stay flat on the concrete pretty well!

Goddam Freezing melb winter though…….makes night racing impossible in that cold bloody garage….

As for the leaks DD, you’re not too far off mate. On section is so “Qantas’ed”, lol that I need to cut all the rust out, put some mesh up and fill it in all around it…..

I ain’t the worlds best handyman, if it ain’t got batteries in it, I’m clueless….

lol….

Admin
      Participant

@ph2t 227197 wrote:

Here’s a small vid:

http://www.woahnelly.com/stuff/mr02/track_test_run1.wmv

Bluetak does wonders….. 🙂

Hey ph2t,
      it’s been awhile since I logged on. how you doin’?
      nice vid my man! 😀

dgs73
      Participant

nice… this is the idea i settled on a year or so ago, but chose to shoe goo the edges down. Works awesome, nice job ph2t!! I decided to go wider lanes to accommodate our x-speeds and ‘other’ motors in the end … the lanes are now 898mm wide, but it uses alot more mats…

Admin
      Participant

Hi there,
      There is actually a new track openned in Box Hill. Melbourne ! There is a track area for Mini-z / Iwaver with cafe facility. They also sell Iwavers and hot up parts. It is not bad, only costs $5.50 for a dayp***. The price also included 1 can of drink !
      Address is 757 Station St, Box Hill (on the corner of Thames & Station St, it was a petrol station)

Modelcarmonster

track2.jpg

track1.jpg

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

wow.. 😯

Renton
      Participant

wow indeed Dangerous Dave

two of the sweetest words in the english language, ROAD TRIP! 🙂

betty.k
      Participant

guess who lives in box hill!:beer: :8ball:

dgs73
      Participant

so how much is a bus ticket to Melb. again??? lol. Wow tho, thats the s**t… and 5.50 for the day? Our local slot track (yeah, i’ve given up steering for the mo) charges that for HALF AN HOUR. Rort…

dgs73
      Participant

bugger the bus. Plane. Melbourn return flight in December…

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

hey dgs, get into HO (AFX sized) slot racing – then you just have your own track at home, keep the $5.50 for the RC lol

dgs73
      Participant

nah, i got into the scalxtric size stuff… couple of Slot-it cars and an MB Slot (plus about 15 scalextric…) the slot-its are nuts fast too… hahaha… the funny thing is, my whole lounge room is taken up by track, and my garage is owned by a mini z track… we go to the local track because its M***IVE

z-beam
      Participant

ive got a rep for victoria now so i dont get to see melbourne any more 🙁 nothing beats earning money sitting at home though 😀

still that set up looks great. id love a nice track and a cafe, but do they sell beer? that’d be the best!

dgs73
      Participant

you pose a very interesting (and highly important!) question there ZB…

PandaBear
      Participant

nah no beer – they’re asian… and in box hill… HARD LIQUOR maybe 😀

ph2t
      Participant

Well, it sat in the garage for months and didn’t get touched. So why not expand! 😯

track_new1.jpg

Got another vid. Getting better too! (car in the vid is a stocker, bar tyres/rims and bearings)

http://www.woahnelly.com/stuff/track/track_run.avi

😳

Used my SE w910i as the onboard cam, lol…..

ph2t.

betty.k
      Participant

looking good! and it looks like you’ve been practising, you only crashed 73 times!:D :8ball:

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.