New Mini-Z buildup, Oklahoma

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      Izord
      Participant

Hey! from Tulsa, place next to Texas.

My first real small scale, Been into the big gas before, FG-Marder, Ofna Monster Pirate, Associated GT, and Serpent. But never tried electric before.

Phil, a tech at work has been showing off his X-mods, he tricked out a couple of them with all the mods, lights and stuff. But I wasn t too impressed with they are pretty slow. So I read the forums about Whoa Nelly, and Atomic Mods and stuff.

So I ordered a Mini-Z Lambo Diablo from Tower, and some parts. Got them in the mail yesterday. The X-speed motor and bearings. First I tried it with the stock motor. It was pretty slow, but I didn t give up. Also it wouldn t center the steering real well. I didn t know about the pot on the PCB yet. So I took it apart to put in the bearings and some other parts. then I took apart the steering servo parts last night.

I thought I was pretty f**cked with the tiny parts. But finally I got it together again, and I read about the steering pot on the PCB. Then I broke in the X-xpeed motor in some water, and put it in and put it all back together. I just have a real small kitchen floor that is smooth in my apartment, but it is awesome in doing donuts and spinning out.

Phil says they race at a pool-bar in town on Tuesday so I m there. And I ordered some Li-Pols from Atomic mods, and another MM from Mini-Zracer.com and some other parts.

And I want to get some Whoa-Nellys from pht2. Also I read his article about how to make a hot motor so I ordered those parts he mentioned. So I m pretty psyched right now.

Well, I realize this post may sound pretty retarded, but I ve put away quite a few cold ones this afternoon and catching a pretty good buzz. Luckily I m not doing any soldering, or anything too technical right now.

So take care you Aussies. Izord from Oklahoma.

z-beam
      Participant

good to hear about another r/c fan giving smaller scales a try! you sure will have fun with the diablo…

one question, how do you break a motor in using water:question:

merc-blue
      Participant

z-beam bassicaly get a glass of water and a few cells 3 or 4 and run it under water for 2 mins then tip out the water do it again and again untill u do it for 2 mins and the water stays clean

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Merc that just wastes brushes, you only need to do it for 30 seconds or so…

ph2t
      Participant
      Quote:
      one question, how do you break a motor in using water:question:

after all those cold ones he had, I doubt it that he used “Water”, ha ha ha!!!

ph2t.

merc-blue
      Participant

opps yeah.. forgot.. 540 motors have alot more brush/comm to fool with u do it in 2 min stints till it runs clean then lube both ends with a good oil like trinity royal oil (the best bushing/bearing oil there is).. a 130 should only need 30 second stills maybe 20 seconds with 2 cells

Izord
      Participant

I let it run on 2 cells in a big glass of water with a drop of dish soap for about 20 minutes. Then I rinsed it off real good, and ran it in clean water for 10 minutes. Then I sprayed it off real good with motor cleaner. Then sprayed it off again with WD40, and ran it in air, still on 2 cells for 10 minutes. Sprayed it with WD40 again, and another 10 minutes on 2 cells in air.

I guess that was way overkill. But it does run like a raped ape.

Does anyone know if I can run 2 Li-Pol cells (about 7.5 volts) with the stock FET’s?

ph2t
      Participant

dude, just break it in dry for 30 – 40 minutes in the direction that is forward for your chassis…. that’s all you need to do.

Lipo cells may not blow the fets if you stay with the stock motor. Anything slightly hotter whilst on lipo’s will prolly blow the PCB.

cheers,

ph2t.

z-beam
      Participant

water + electricity = trouble! i still cant understand how immersing the motor is going to work, but ill take your word for it guys (and stick to ph2t’s advice:smiley2:)

Izord
      Participant

ph2t, I’ll take your advice on my next motor. I’d like to order 2 or three of your Whoa Nelly’s. Are you ready to take orders yet?

I was thinking of removing the switch, because I heard it robs power, but it seems with the Nelly it wouldn’t matter because the nelly takes power straight from the batteries and sends it to the motor, just using the PCB as a signal. Is that more or less right? Thanks.

betty.k
      Participant

when breaking in motors in water you should use distilled water. it’s pure h2o and pure h2o is an insulator. it’s just all the minerals and crap in tapwater that conducts. but for safety’s sake always assume an electrified puddle is live.:8ball:

ph2t
      Participant

btw, welcome to the forums dude. then nelly shop will reopen by the end of the week.

cheers,

ph2t.

merc-blue
      Participant

yeah .. puting it under water chews into the comm/brushes making them ‘seated’ bassicaly most contact area possible another thing people use is shelite casue it also cleans it as it does it but i woldnt do it casue it can catch on fire..
      i do suggest oiling teh bushings on ur motors oiled bushings are just as fast as bearings and sometimes better.. but for 540 water dip run ins for sealed cans KICKS ASS.. droped 2 (form 21 to 19) seconds by using s good run in motor

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.