New Motor

Home Forums General Chat New Motor

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • Author
      trash
      Participant

I found a new motor for my BCG’s. Shame I have to wait a few years for them to be available over the counter. I need one now !

http://www.research-tv.com/nano_story_template.html#

microengine1.jpg

Racer9
      Participant

Nice will it have enough torque?

Impreza
      Participant

I saw another one like that on tv, I think it was called nanomuscle, will try to find a link.

Amazing what they are coming up with:)

trash
      Participant

I have some muscle wire nitinol on the way from the USA. Also know as SMA (shape memory alloy).
      Basically you heat them and they change shape or length. Easiest way to heat the wire is pass electric current through it.

LILNismo
      Participant

cool, how much does that stuff retail for?

trash
      Participant

It cost about $10 per metre. I got it from the states. I have 100ft of it currently in transist.

Racer9
      Participant

I hope this engine is cheap and very torquey!

trash
      Participant

Even if they aren’t torquey, then it’s just a matter of design application, much like a traction engine in a train.
      It is designed to power some sort of generator to create electricity. If it doesn’t have enough
      power to drive a car, then the generator charges
      a small battery or capacitor and uses that to drive an electric motor with more torque or traction. A bit like the hybrid electric/fuel cars getting around now.

Impreza
      Participant

I saw the show on the nanomuscle and was very impressed. They are using it in everything from toys to car seat adjustors in 1:1 cars. Let us see what you are doing with the stuff once you get it:)

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

That thing is crazy, i want a straight 6, a v8 and a v12 of these things!!!

titaniumonkey
      Participant

i think a saw them on sale at an online-stope called http://www.mondotronics.com They have a kit with a whole bunch of different sized nano-muscles and they also had a handbook type of thing with it…I think

DaveF
      Participant

There’s a point. Being that size, even if they were under torqued, they could fit a v12 into the space a BCG motor gets into now. Well… maybe a v6, but either way, that’s pretty wild.

I wonder if they could be hooked up to do the function of pistons? hmmmm…. where’s Ph2t?

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

What do they run on???

trash
      Participant

They run on lighter fluid and they run at about 40000 rpm. Hmm, might have to gear that down a bit. But I’d guess that you’d just simply have the same setup as a diesel electric train to get the best performance, else you’d have to consider a gear box etc.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Man thats cool, I wonder what they sound like?? 40,000 RPM…. just use normal bit gears.

My big concern is…can they be throttled???

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Trash: Have you seen the little wankel rotary that has been made?? Has a 1mm diameter rotor!!

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

LOL i typed wa nkel and this site censored it!!

trash
      Participant

1mm w@nkel rotary. heheh, that sounds very cool too… do you have a URL for it ?
      I just had to type wqnkel for myself too.
      Invent an 1diot proof system and nature will find a better 1diot !
      I wonder if idiot gets censored ? 🙂

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

URL…hmmm i spose you could do a google search.

Racer9
      Participant

Cool build a new chassie for it that is extremely light weight. Build it so the engine is in the front and drives all four wheels using some tiny copper wires in the front and shafts in the rear. Just make sure the wires are storng enough. Use a watch batt. for receiver power and fuel tank for engine power. Build a rally version (stronger AWD, turbo, lighter) and setup a mini rally course! Evo would be awesome! 4 cylinder. Build an updated 6 cylinder for more power!

Racer9
      Participant

*chassis*

trash
      Participant

oh yeah, the future’s so bright, you’ll have to wear shades !

Racer9
      Participant

yep! I was think about this in school and got yelled at for it but It would be hard but it is possible. We would need tuned pipes and turbo for enough power but it is possible.

trash
      Participant

Do teachers still yell at students ? wow, I didn’t think they were allowed to even look at them ? Seems tame compared to one of my teachers who’d throw a blackboard duster at you. But we always knew the only reason that would happen was if you deserved it.
      That doesn’t mean that some/most teachers have deep psychological problems. Once you get past the hype of HSC and on to uni/tafe, you get rewarded for thinking about tiny motors and how to use them. It’s called Applied Science and the reward is call a Degree. The only reason teachers yell there is because their coffee is too hot when they sip it. :D:D

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

trash lol, i am only 16 now but can remember being scruffed by the teacher and chucked out the classroom door.

trash
      Participant

Barbarians ! 🙂
      We really need to bring back the cane and get rid of barbaric punishments like detention.
      Apart from trying hard not to laugh the cane was cool. 5 minutes and you’re outta there free to reak havoc on the world again. 👿

Racer9
      Participant

lol!

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.