New PN racing motors….speedy07, xeric(awd) & anima 2

Home Forums Mini-Z, Mini-X, X-Mods and other Mini-Scale Mini-Z, Mini-X, X-Mods – Discussion New PN racing motors….speedy07, xeric(awd) & anima 2

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      ph2t
      Participant

http://www.pnracing.us/new/news.php?show=more&news_id=85

-Speedy07 BB Stock Motor.
      -Xeric AWD Modified Motor.
      -Anima II Modified Motor.

20070406-122831-1.jpg

more info here:

http://www.minizracer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24856

looks like the speedy07 is the new “must have” stocker…

klims
      Participant

Hey Aaron any chance you will be getting any of these in?
      don’t really like the idea of paying 19USD for shipping…

klims
      Participant

does anyone else (from melbourne) want one of these? if we bought a few we could save on the price of shipping. might get a meet to happen a little quicker 😉

Keymaster

Yep – they will be coming into stock in the not too distant future.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Traveler
      Participant

Aaron, or anyone else that can help.

I put the new Anima II in my Gen 1 Xmod equipped with the v2.1 spider (which has worked superbly with other hot motors like the PN Anima, Atomic Z2 and T2), and the spider got pretty hot after just a few minutes of running. The batteries also seemed to be out of juice at that point because the car slowed noticably. I couldn’t find anything wrong with the set up, so I switched back to the Atomic T2 motor and the car ran like a champ.

Could it be that the Anima II is too much for the spider, or may something else be going on. Please help!

ph2t
      Participant

Traveler, what are you running this gen1 xmod on? 4 cell nimh or li-ions?

The Anima II is most likely a few winds less than the current anima which is 33 turns. this is a pretty hot (but not crazy hot) motor and traditionally the border to which li-ions can dump current OK.

Maybee the Anima II is a bit too hot for li-ions, did the batteries dump quickly? Were they warm?

If it’s a gen 1 then you’re still using brass press on gears? Maybe when you did that you buggered the motor perhaps? Hence why the problem is with this motor.

So did the anima II actually perform faster than your original anima?

cheers,

ph2t.

Traveler
      Participant

ph2t,

What an honor! I’ve followed your happenings on the forum and you are clearly the master.

To answer your questions, I’m running NiMH (Its my understanding that the spider and lithium are not compatible on the Gen 1 Xmod). The batteries were not really warm, just the spider, and when I later tested the batteries, they still carried a charge. The car was acting as if the batteries were running out of current.

I am using an 8t brass pinion. When I removed the Anima II from the car, I checked it for binding and found none. I then hooked it up to 2 NiMH cells and it ran fine. So I reckon the motor is OK. (side note – the three new PN motors have very cool open endbells, but different than those on the Atomic motors)

In summary, the problem only occured when the Anima II was in the spider car. I’m at a loss! :huh:

As for performance, its hard to say as I only had goodperformance for a few minutes. The Anima II appeared faster than the previous version on the ground, and seemed to have a smoother power band. But I haven’t gotten it on the dyno yet. Will do once I get the spide problem worked out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated ph2t…

klims
      Participant

i’ve been having a few problems with mine too.

while running in the motor pulsates from time to time. only does so when its been running for a while. wierd. maybe there is a problem with the first batch…

Keymaster

These are now in stock, they are all great improvements over the earlier models, with the standout being the Speedy07.

Pricing is better than ever thanks to the continued strength of the Aussie dollar.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

if you guys are going to a hotter wind motor and having current draw probs, will a smaller pinion gear resolve some of this?

Needs to be done with 1/10 and 1/12 electric cars.. the hotter motors must be allowed to rev more to make the extra power.

Keymaster

Pinion sizes can help a lot with things. The best thing I’ve found is to do some straight long-run tests with a motor and each size pinion, ideally I want to get top-speed as quick as possible with maximum control (less wheel spin, crazy fish tails etc).

If the pinion is sized right you get good top speed, but also great ability to drive out of corners without spinning. Is this the best method? I’m not sure, but it works for me. Generally it also means that the motors don’t bog down as much either, becuase I start small (lots of spin/acceleration) and work up (more speed, less traction issues) stopping when I can control it.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

klims
      Participant

i do the same thing. works really well for me too. but then if your racing on a different track where there is not enough room for top speed do you change motors or just deal with it?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.