New things in Toys R Us

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      leonli17
      Participant

I went to Toys R Us today and here is a few good things:

New 27Mhz Subaru WRX Compact Char-g $35

A 1/32 IR Remote COntrol car that control by a watch supplied for $40. Styles: Audi TT, Mini Cooper and PT Cruiser.

The Power AirSurfer Skywolf(i cannot wait to get it this weekend)
      $110 with FREE 1x 9V battery and 10x C Batteries.

barto_85
      Participant

what colour is the WRX?

micro_Amps
      Participant

The power air surfers are excellent, I have both the biplane and the Sky Wolf.
      That is a reasonable price with the batteries included. Last week T.R.U was selling those for $130 without the batteries, but Big W started selling them (on sale) for $97, so I bought mine there.
      I use a peak charger to charge mine up but the charger supplied does a good job too. Dont worry too much about taking off from the ground, you use a lot of power taking off, better to ‘power on’ then throw it.
      They have good controls, with 2 elevons controlling turning, up and down, and you have 2 motor speeds, and ‘glide’ as well.
      I will be putting an electric fan jet on my Sky Wolf as soon as the jet motor arrives from the U.S. (I just gotta mod it, thats just me.)
      Should be fun.
      :DuA
      Here’s a pic (thats not me by the way, this was taken at a toy show)
      TF03178.jpg

Edited by – micro_Amps on 05 November 2003 11:14:08

leonli17
      Participant

Barto: The WRX is blue with yellow rims. 27Mhz.

Micro-Amps: now i definately will buy the SKywolf. It’s seems really good quilaty(way better than the Yellow Bee).

TallduDe
      Participant

so the skywolf has only 1 motor.

and to control it is via the rudder??

it looks cool almost like an f-16.

do they perform well?

micro_Amps
      Participant

Yeah its kind of a cross between a sparrow and a fighter jet. Its made of foam, so it wont take many nose first landings (:smiley2: if you know what I mean) to do it damage, but as the batteries run down, it flies a little ‘nose up’ so its easy to land it safely.
      Control range on these is easy 100m. I was flying today from one end of a football field to the other with no sign of signal loss.
      They are a ‘dead calm’ flier, so most nights at dusk is the time to go for a fly.

:)uA

brendan
      Participant

is that a pull cord at the back of it?

micro_Amps
      Participant

Thats the aerial wire, in the pic they have it coiled up, it usually just hangs there.
      It is controlled by two ‘elevons’ not a rudder.
      Elevons (combination elevator/ailerons) go both up for “up”, one up one down to turn either way, and both down for down. Ant they work quite well.
      They are the black theings at the back of the plane, it does not have a ‘rudder’ at all.

leonli17
      Participant

That’s how the old F86 work.

micro_Amps: when u mean they are a ‘dead calm’ flier, do u mean they are not good with windy conditions?

TallduDe
      Participant

hahahaha yeah i hear ya about the old nose dive landings.

100metres range is good but not that great, but i guess its good for a beginner flyer. :smiley2:

leonli17
      Participant

I think 100 metres is good enough for this plane because it’s not that big, when it’s 100m away, it’ll be small and hard to see, it’s fun when u aim the plane at ur self and u can try to run from it:p THis plane has a foam nose so when it hit u it won’t as hurt as being hit by a porpeller.:smiley2:

Micro_Amps: When u put the electric jet motor(the ducted fan) on the Skywolf. THe plane will under alotta G force when it turns. so i suppose u gonna renforce it with tough and light material.

Edited by – leonli17 on 05 November 2003 23:56:03

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I had a Firebird XL, got caught in a gust of wind.

I’ll just say that it fitted in my school bag after the crash……

VooDooMafia
      Participant

These look ok for the price

http://www.toyeast.com/proddetail2.asp?pdtid=AC3817

Edited by – VooDooMafia on 06 November 2003 17:20:58

micro_Amps
      Participant

LeonLi17, you have the most fun with these when it is dead calm, you can fly in a breeze but you tend to spend your time ‘fighting’ against the weather. There is also more chance of a bad landing in the wind.
      I dont bother taking them out now unless its daed calm or close to it.
      It has a large wing area so I think ot will do fine with the increased thrust of a fan jet, we’ll see.

leonli17
      Participant

I just got one today. It’s really tough. I crashed it alotta times because of the wind. And it’s control is really good.
      And now i think that a fan jet is needed. the stock motor is too weak to climb up rapidly from the start. But it’s really good for the price. I actully only paid $69 for it because if u minus the value of the free batteries($41). So it’s really cheap. And now all i have to is get a new 12V AC adaptor 1000mah so i can charge the plane without the batteries.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Yes, for under $100 they are a good entry level rc plane, and lots of fun too.

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

The dude in the photo rocks… But anyway…
      What type of motor does it run… and
      Will it run out of thrust or lift first when it climbs???

micro_Amps
      Participant

The ‘dude’ in the pic is one of the proffessors who originally developed the Mars rover program for NASA, now works for WowWee toys in development.
      His speciality is robotics.

It runs a 130 size motor, so the likes of a Tamiya plasma dash motor should see this little thing speeding up a bit, (or a fan jet)

I think it will run out of range before it runs out of climb. With elevons you lose altitude when you turn, so its easy enough to climb in straight lines and turn to come down a bit, thats how you control these things.

leonli17
      Participant

uA: So 130 motors can handle 8.4V? Or does the circuit converts to 3V or something? And what is the stock motors RPM?

I had another play with my plane today./ It’s a bit windy but i manage to keep the plane in one piece. It hovers in the air when i make it against the wind. And almost every single one of my landing is vertical landing(i just turn off the motor when it’s only about 2 foot from the ground).

And now I definitaly think that this plane needs a fan jet or a Plasma Dash. It just can’t climb fast enough.

Edited by – leonli17 on 08 November 2003 23:56:43

micro_Amps
      Participant

The motors do run on 8.4v, but the plasma D wont, thats too high.
      Thats why Im going for a fan jet, they run on higher voltages.
      No idea on the stock rpms LeonLi, but if you want more rpm, try trimming a little off each side of the prop, to speed it up, but if you trim too much you will lose thrust, so a little experimenting might help.

leonli17
      Participant

THanks uA, I have 4 props to experiment on:smiley2:

micro_Amps
      Participant

I trimmed about 5mm off one of the props today and had no loss in thrust, but with the prop spinning at slightly higher revs (and lower current) the run time was a little longer.
      Might try trimming a little more off as well.

leonli17
      Participant

Cool. It’s not that windy on Sunday so I took the palne play around a little. It’s way better than fly in windy days.
      And uA do u know anyway to extend the run time? Like where to get bigger batteries for this plane?

micro_Amps
      Participant

Bigger batteries = more weight, which may alter the center of gravity (the balance point of the plane).
      I have changed the cells and the motors in my other air surfer but not the Sky Wolf, yet.
      As soon as I et the fan jet (2 or 3 days) I will experiment with other battery combinations.
      For now I’m sticking with the original. I peak charge my battery packs so they last a while.

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

I just a note, with any micro plane weight is critical. Therefore, I no longer beleive in using ducted fans. They add weight, and any theoretical efficency is more than offset by the extra weight of the fan unit. I would suggest fitting a single pusher prop in that rear mounted jet exhaust. My GWA A10 is now twin brushless pusher, and not only is it lighter, but produces much more thrust than any fan unit is capable of.

DF’s are cool, but more for novelty value at this scale.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

kokam lithium polymer cells!!!

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.