nice lookin cars

Home Forums 1/8, 1/10, 1/12, 1/18 – Discussion nice lookin cars

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      SurfmyStrat
      Participant

check these babys out, ide like to own them some day…

overallfrog.jpg

my favorite of the bunch

lanciaoverall.jpg

lancia in the box

rereleaselanciarunner.jpg

nice stadium car

stadiumthunderrunner.jpg

man i wanna be this guy, im jealous of his toys:shock::shock::shock::p:smiley2::D:smiley16:

i got all these pictures fromhere, go check them out if you want, you can also see some more cars that this dude has!!!

Edited by – SurfmyStrat on 22 May 2003 08:10:05

barto_85
      Participant

pretty cool surfmystrat.

PandaBear
      Participant

Haha… yeah, that site is Darryn’s from Canberra.
      Darryn is one of the more famous vintage Tamiya collectors in Australia.

#1 picture is that of a Frog buggy (Tamiya 5840)… came out in Dec/83, long discontinued. Quite a lot of ppl had them as their first RC cars, so there’s a big nostalgic following for them today – personally I think they’re dog ugly. If you can find one today even a used one is worth quite a bit of $$$, let alone if you have one in Mint condition.

#2 picture is the Lancia 037 Rally (Tamiya 5839) from Nov/83. This is probably a rarer model than the Frog as it was less popular when new, so again its worth big bucks now. The chassis & drivetrain underneath is very similar to the Frog.

#3 kit picture shows a “similar” Lancia 037 too… however this is the recent Tamiya rerelease #58278. This one came out in ~2001 and underneath is their TA03RS 4WD touring car chassis.

#4 blue ute is the Stadium Thunder #58181. Not sure if this has been discontinued but I think some hobby shops in Oz still have stocks. Its a nice handling 2WD stadium truck.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Is a Grasshopper II worth anything???:D:D

SurfmyStrat
      Participant

my friend has a grasshoper 2, just got it from a hobby store on sale, it was pretty old, i doubt its worth much cause he got it pretty cheap

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      Is a Grasshopper II worth anything???:D:D

Up to A$50 if you find the right sukka… :p:D:p

barto_85
      Participant

the front wheels on that ute are huge, or is it just the photo?

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      the front wheels on that ute are huge, or is it just the photo?

Is just the foto, front wheels are same as rears. The wheels should be 2.2″ diameter. Those are the kit’s wheels anyway too.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

GRRRR that sucks, only 50 bucks.
      Cash Converters wants $299 for second hand totally ragged ones, i could not believe it when i saw it.

FreeLoader101
      Participant

such a waste of fun tho. keeping them all packed away like that.. i hate ppl who do that.. y collect when u could play??? they’re all gonna end up in the hands on sum lil kid in the end ne ways.. mise well have fun with them urself.. stuff that could be so fun that just end up sittin on sum guys shelf in his basement is such a waste..

oh well.. im done my rant.

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      GRRRR that sucks, only 50 bucks.
      Cash Converters wants $299 for second hand totally ragged ones, i could not believe it when i saw it.

Easy exercise… just take something to CC’s “sell” desk and ask them how much they’ll pay you for it. For a Tamiya in average condition… approx $30 for the car, $50 if including radio & battery.

Then by the time it reaches the shelf, it’ll be carrying a sticker of somewhere between $199-$249-$299… hey, someone’s gotta pay their wages and rent. :p

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      such a waste of fun tho. keeping them all packed away like that.. i hate ppl who do that.. y collect when u could play??? they’re all gonna end up in the hands on sum lil kid in the end ne ways.. mise well have fun with them urself.. stuff that could be so fun that just end up sittin on sum guys shelf in his basement is such a waste..

Ahh… you’re a bit behind the times, my friend.

The early Tamiya RC models have hit “collector” status in the past few years, where there are a lot of people now seeking to buy them for collection/restoration.

They are like 1930 Model-T Fords and all other vintage 1:1 cars…. sure, back in the 1950s nobody wanted them and lots of them were sacrificed to make hotrods or paddock bombs (“giving them to the kids”).

Then by the 1970-80s… vintage cars came back into desirability, but not as chopped up hoon-mobiles but now as fully-restored-to-factory-originality classics.

Running some older Tamiyas is still fun, but do bear in mind that parts are impossible to buy from your local hobby shop anymore – so if you break anything, that’s the end of it. Age & exposure to light and oils also weakens vintage plastics and rubbers.

Don’t forget also that RC technology has come a long way since then. The very first Tamiya RC car came out in 1977… this is the equivalent of a 1910 1:1 vehicle. These days a 1/10 touring car has 4WD and full independent suspension… right up to tech with a modern family sedan, all in less than 25 yrs. :smiley16:

Think “stamp collector” too… do you even think that a stamp collector would be buying all those rare stamps to stick onto an envelope??! 🙂

And if you’re still not convinced… too bad. They’re not your RC cars; when you go buy your own, you’ve got the right to do whatever you want with them. Nobody cares what you think. :D:D

FreeLoader101
      Participant

bah.. but i mean really.. wat lasting value do these provide? they’re just toys.. toys only purpose is to be played with.. not to be stored away until the end of time.. he doesnt even have them built or ne thing.. if they were built atleast they’d be cool.. but packed away in boxes?? its pointless.. and i have my own r/c cars.. and i play with them till they break.. why? becuz havin them sit in a box is boring.. and seeing how long it takes for them to break is fun.. atleast stamp collectors look at their stamps and display them and such.. and stamps are pretty… r/c cars are just toys.. and these ones that are all still unopened have yet to serve their purpose.. and their purpose is to be played with.. otherwise they’d just be models.. and i dont care if ne one cares about what my opinion is.. its my opinion and i care.. and its such a nice opinion too.. :approve:

peace.:p

perriscope
      Participant

I collect micro machines

think big play small

there kewl and I have in original packaging. guess it is upto an individual what you do with them.

I have aliens, terminator, predator, spiderman x-men micro machines never taken out of packet and a whole heap of cars prob about 500 some out some not

if you don’t know what I’m talking about try

http://www.mikesmicros.com 😀

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      wat lasting value do these provide?

Umm… they’re worth much more “New In Box” than “New Built”.
      And once they’re “Used”, they lose even more value.

Quote:
      they’re just toys.. toys only purpose is to be played with.. not to be stored away until the end of time..

You might think differently after a few age wrinkles have appeared on your skin… 🙂 and when someone collects RC cars, they usually have too many to possibly run them all.

Collectors of Vintage RC are mostly guys 25-40yo, very rarely are they young kids. There’s 101 reasons why they collect, but mainly its to do with nostalgia about the toys they had/played/trashed/junked when they were younger.

If you didn’t miss the earlier analogy, 50 yrs ago a 1950 motorcar was a daily use vehicle. These days you’d be seen as stupid to still use that same 1950 car as your primary driver.

Quote:
      he doesnt even have them built or ne thing.. if they were built atleast they’d be cool.. but packed away in boxes??

There are collectors out there who only collect RC cars new in boxes; that is what they’re interested in. They’re not interested in used examples at all, nor even running them. Some of these fellas have 100s, some even reaching 1000, of kits… you would not believe how much space that takes up.

Haha, that said… I think Darryn will eventually build all his kits. He’s just waiting for enough display space.

Quote:
      its pointless.. and i have my own r/c cars.. and i play with them till they break.. why? becuz havin them sit in a box is boring..

Yea, I share your thoughts too – I rather have mine “built”.

But when you have more than 1 of the same… its no point running both, is it?

Ultimately… a real collector will have the HOLY TRINITY – 1 in box, 1 new built and 1 to run (with enough spares to cover all needs). :smiley16:

btw, some ppl out there actually collect 1:1 cars. Any ‘special’ sportscar you can think of (eg F40, 959, F50, Enzo, F1 etc) there’ll be at least one example that’s been stored away since new by a private owner, never driven. The richer ones buy a 2nd one to drive.

Quote:
      atleast stamp collectors look at their stamps and display them and such.. and stamps are pretty… r/c cars are just toys..

Err… stamps are just receipts to say you’ve paid the postage… :D:evil::D

Quote:
      and these ones that are all still unopened have yet to serve their purpose.. and their purpose is to be played with..

Personally, go take a close look at the older Tamiya kits and how they’re packaged. Its a real work of art!! All the major parts are individually packed in bubble nicely laid out… you’ll never find that packaging again today – they’re a real Pleasure to Build.

And yup, you’ve hit the nail on the head. Collecting vintage NIB kits is like a good wine in the cellar… “deferred enjoyment”. Even if you don’t want to enjoy it yourself later, there’ll always be someone else to on-sell it to.:p

Quote:
      otherwise they’d just be models..

Used to build 1/24 plastic models… but after they’re built they’re pretty boring too, eh? Now thinking those RC collectors do have something going… a new-built RC car on the shelf would be so much more interesting than a 1/24 lump of painted plastic. :p

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Personally i agree with pandabear, it is much more sensible and FUN to play with the latest and greatest performance machine, than to play with a vintage collectors car which is useless once you break something, where a brand new car would have the technical support and parts availability.

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      I collect micro machines…
      think big play small…
      http://www.mikesmicros.com

Cute motto!

MicroMachines are cute.
      And they take up a little less space than Matchbox cars. 🙂

At least collecting cute bits of plastic/metal/rubber makes some sense – they look nice on the shelf, to a guy anyway. :smiley2:

And I understand numismatics and philatelists too.

But I just Don’t Get kiddies who collect Tazos or Pokemon cards… what’s so fun with that? This is marketing gone hyper… :evil::evil:

perriscope
      Participant

Thanks for the complement on collecting micro machines 🙂

My friends think my kookoo!! hee hee

not really but they don’t understand why collect thing so small, there cheap <–some are and yes they don't take up a lot of room.

I have never got into tazo’s but they are atractive to the eye, and know some very young kids that play with them all the time, there not so bad. Just spinning tops, not aimed at the elder teenager or the 20’s living in the naughties “00-09” hee hee I love that saying no longer the 90’s it’s now the naughties!!

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I guess we never grew up with tazos or pokemon so we cant get interested, not that we’d really want to anyway. I always needed something a bit more stimulating to keep me interested.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

i.e RC Cars!

PandaBear
      Participant

For all you later kiddies who grew up in the 80s, the following are making their comeback in time for xmas 2003:

-Care Bears
      -My Little Pony
      -Strawberry Shortcake
      -Pound Puppies
      -Transformers!!
      -Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!!!

be afriad, be very afraid…

(yeah, Dr Evil must have stolen all the IMAGINATION out of today’s toy designers, how sad)
      :shock::shock:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES OH YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

Back to cars, i took my old tamiya grasshopper 2 for a bash today, and managed to break a front suspension tower :O. It really pissed me off, cause i’ve put so much time and effort into restoring her and i had her going perfect. A spare tower cut off an old chassis, a few zip ties, a drill and 5 mins fixed it up, but it does look a bit ugly 🙁

Hafta say tho, few things are as fun as throwing an extremely overpowered (motor is still on ‘0’ degree timing :O) buggy around on the tarmac, it spins the treads until the thing has reached its max speed, which is about 100km/h no load, about 70km/h load speed.

Considering this thing was gunna be a bin-job i am extremely pleased how it turned out.

PandaBear
      Participant

Funny that… 🙂

Was at the airport Sat morning at dawn (!!), so decided to drop by a offroad track that’s nearby there too.

Gave the old Hornet a trash… and it was doing double cartwheels off each bump. Weird handling, for something I’ve tuned to be able to drive straight – or maybe it was just me, Never driven a car at dawn (yawn) before.

4 big packs later…
      -front bumper mounts all ripped off
      -broke off left front spring holder (“shocktower”)
      -both rear body posts gone
      -shell has more cracks than a comedians’ convention
      -ESC hanging loose
      -running rear SuperHornet wheels, now with cracks
      -one rear shock mount hanging half off

Hornet now in hospital again. :p

jamiekulhanek
      Participant
      Quote:
      Funny that… 🙂

4 big packs later…
      -front bumper mounts all ripped off
      -broke off left front spring holder (“shocktower”)
      -both rear body posts gone
      -shell has more cracks than a comedians’ convention
      -ESC hanging loose
      -running rear SuperHornet wheels, now with cracks
      -one rear shock mount hanging half off

Hornet now in hospital again. :p

Yeah i admitted my GH11 (same car prettymuch) to E ward again last night. So far i have managed to break……

-2 side bumper mounts
      -Front Left shock tower
      -Rear Left shock
      -Crack/scratch shell

Shes all fixed now after surgery, and ready to go.

I noticed my local tennis courts have been resurfaced……god its great to drive on. Especially when you enter a corner, pump the brake, jam on the juice and give some opposite lock :D:D:D

These cars were built to drift, just gave my motor a tune up last night, so i cant wait to try it out 🙂

GT-ahh
      Participant

but imagine how fun it would be to wear big 1900s aviation goggles, a scarf and leather hat, go out and crank start you mad car drive past all these new bms and honk your “ooooooogggaaaaaahhhh” horn…
      sorta like rcs in a way imagine whipping out a classic rc at a race day…

DaveF
      Participant

That guy would be sitting on a fortune now too. All those cars, and the age of them, and what they would have cost way back when compared to what they’re worth now. It’s an investment.

Look at the rare Char-G NUR. Worth about $300 mint unopened inthe box I think, but if you opened the box and used it, it’s suddenly worth about $40. $260 for a bit of fun? I’d rather spring for a new Char-G and use that instead.

Mind you, I’m no collector either. Who’s got that sort of money for something I have to find appropriate storage space for. =o)

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.