OEM Bullet/Bit Frankenstein experiment

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      mcojoc
      Participant

After destroying the steering arm and losing the spring on one of my favorite Bit Charg’s, (like a few other people I read about on this site :smiley6:) I decided to play Dr. Frankenstein and see if I could repair it using parts from an OEM Bullet I just received. It doesn’t run too well (as some of us know) so I went for it and mangled the OEM Bullet car to get the steering arm (with Spring) and the front wheel/axles for use on my Bit Char. The Bit Char was messed up by a certain klutz (me) while messing around with it before. I figured I’d write about it since it actually turned out well!

The carhandles better than itdid when it was new! The OEM’s steering arm appears to be just a hair less wider than the bit char-g’s, making for actual TOE IN on the re-assembled car. See below:

pic02.jpg

Top is the Frankenstein car, bottom, a standard Bit Char-g. Notice the difference in the tires. This is due to the OEM car having a bigger “bump” for the tires to rest on… The translation? More grip in the front. Here’s what it looks like without the tire. Left Regular Bit, Right, Frankenstein Bit with OEM wheels:

pic03.jpg

The parts all fit together without a problem. I did have to reverse the magnet in the steering arm and re-glue it because the polairty seems to be reversed on the magnet in the OEM car….Weird though because it steered properly using a Bit Char controller… Perhaps the receiver is wired differently…. ANYWAY, One more note about the OEM car. The Electro-magnets that control the steering arm appear to be “beefier” than in the standard Bit:

Here’s the OEM car:

pic04.jpg

As a result, it seems like the spring on the steering arm of the OEM car is also a bit stronger, and when placed in the standard Bit Char with the smaller electro magnets, the car surprisingly handles great!!! The steering response and radus hasn’t deteriorated, AND the car returns to neutral steering faster. At this point I’m thinking that this is turing out to be a modification, NOT just hacking for parts to get the car up and running… Heck, it’s running better than ever!

Next thing I did was throw on the standard tires on the front of the car (to be sure I could use standard bit tires with the OEM wheels), and the OEM soft tires on the rear of the car. I run on hardwood floors, and the Bit-Char tire set “SOFT” tires are what I usually run on the rear. The OEM tires are softer than the soft tires from the Bit Char tire set, so now I have even more traction. The car HUGS the floor, but has enough “push” to handle when steering without doing donuts.

Last thing. Will the body fit? After making sure, I stripped off the old clunky decals and put on some new ones. Here’s Frankenstein’s unvailing:

pic01.jpg

Bottom line? For 15 bucks, I gotfirmer steering, a new body, a set of tires, and had fun modifying my car…. It was quite worth it!

The standard and new cars together:

pic05.jpg

mcojoc
      Participant

Sorry guys, tried to upload pics with no luck. They were on the page before I posted it, but gone after. If anyone wants to see them let me know and I can try again…..

Admin
      Participant

wow.. sounds like the OEM’s are good for spare parts, bodies, wheels..etc. maybe even cheaper then getting seprate motors, wheel pack, etc. I am waiting for my first Char-G. can’t wait. I’m just afraid to break stuff as these things seem to be easily broken.

BTW…this is my first post.. Hi all. :smiley15:

Admin
      Participant

BEAUTIFUL! Sounds like a venture worth taking! Thanks for being the guinea pig, MCOJOC! Try to get those pics up somewhere!

(and welcome Dirk_Gent!)

Stormincow

Admin
      Participant

You said if anyone would like to see those pics let you know and i for one am intesively excited to see that exactly what i was thinking and asking for derek to do to his OEM cars you did before him so now i kno what to get and how to fix my problem. My problem had been posted all over this site and a couple other forums too about how i needed another magnet rod and was wondering if the OEM would work, you solved it all. Please when you have a chance get those pics up or send them straight to my e-mail addie: Snowboardr101387@cox.net

Thanks a lot, Dave

Admin
      Participant

Mcojoc

If you can email me the set of photos, I will host them on ausmicro.com for you and update your post to display the images.

Just email me them at derek@ausmicro.com

Thanks and regards (and I’m REALLY looking forward to seeing what mischief you’ve been up to :smiley2:)

Derek

mcojoc
      Participant

I’ll get them up to you tonight Derek. I’m at work right now… It was actually a relief to get my Bit char working again….The pictures are taken with a web cam, but are clear enough for you to see what was what…

F.Y.I: The bit bodies won’t fit on the O.E.M car, but the O.E.M body will fit on the bit. I didn’t even have to carve out the wheel wells, just slide the body towards the rear of the car on the chassis mount tabs after mounting it on the bit char-g.

The O.E.M Rear axle is a bit wider than the standard Bit, so that won’t work (yet)… I’m working on a mod, however I believe the gearing is standard to the regular axle so it may not make that much of a difference if you can get the axle/gear set…

The motor onthe O.E.M’s is weak in my opinion (That’s why they gear them so high!)…Plus, mine was HARD WIRED to the receiver. I’d have to cut the wires and then put contact tabs on the motor to use it in a bit char. This is different than the pictures I’ve seen that Derek has put up of his O.E.M cars, but just beware…. For me, Not worth it… :smiley6:…

mcojoc
      Participant

I’ve sent Derek the photos. Hopefully he will have them up soon!

:smiley15:

mcojoc

mcojoc
      Participant

P.S. I can confirm now that the O.E.M battery is a 120mah battery…. It is labelled as a 1/4 AAA battery… It is slightly smaller height wise, and the same radius as the n-50aaa battery in the bits….

However, each battery has it’s own personality…. A 120mah battery is no fun if it’s flat the whole time you run it… If the 50mah batteryhas punch and then levels out as it discharges, I’d prefer the shorter run times for more fun with that battery… In the OEM car, the battery discharged quicky in my opinion and ran flat… If installed in the TOMY car, with thesmoother gearing Bit char-g’s, maybe it will run longer and stronger. That’s a test for another day…!!!!!!

mcojoc

Admin
      Participant

NB: Mcojoc’s original message to display the images now hanging off the ausmicro server.

Thanks again for the info and images, Mcojoc. GREAT STUFF!!!

Derek

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.