oil problem

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      mutionu
      Participant

ok heres the problem.
      I read that oiling the gears makes char-g run alot smoother.
      ok i went to the local hobby shop and asked some oil for gears….
      they gave me the oil… went home… and put on the oil… test ran it and at first it didnt run at all… then i cleaned it a bit and it ran better but it doesnt run even half as fast as it used to… its really smooth though…
      QUESTION: WHAT KIND OF OIL SHOULD I USE?

Edited by – mutionu on 06 August 2003 02:45:53

KingRX7
      Participant

wouldnt oiling the gears make them slip easier instead of getting a good grip to turn the gears?

mutionu
      Participant

well the problem aint anything like that its more like the motor doesnt have enough power to move the car.

PandaBear
      Participant

I know the guys usually use something really light, like silicone oil spray (check your hardware store). Some use powdered graphite.

Thicker oils & grease will cause drag. Your BCG motor will not have enough torque to overcome the extra drag.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Use the ceramic grease tamiya make for plastic gears, it works very well.
      :)uA

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Use graphite powder, it has virtually no drag, and as it is a powder, it doesnt get sh*t stuck to it.

jazza_1984
      Participant

i have the tamiya ceramic grease as well, never had any problem s with it before

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Oh sure, I’ve got some of that tamiya grease, and it is great stuff, but for carpet racing, it only helps to pick up crap.

Graphite has even less drag than ceramic grease (More power at the treads), and once applied, prettymuch stays there for an eternity.

mutionu
      Participant

ok thx for the help but how can i clean it from old oil?
      i cant see it anymore but it still runs a bit slow

jazza_1984
      Participant

jamie ill give the graphite powder a go cheers

z-beam
      Participant

skateboard synthetic oil is the best in my oppinion, the graphite powder has some nasty health side affects…:dead:……. one drop of synth oil is more than enough

jamiekulhanek
      Participant
      Quote:
      jamie ill give the graphite powder a go cheers

I warn you, it can be messy…..only apply it to the idler gear…i.e. take the idler gear off, and rub it in the carbon, then replace it. Do this outside as it can get messy.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant
      Quote:
      skateboard synthetic oil is the best in my oppinion, the graphite powder has some nasty health side affects…:dead:……. one drop of synth oil is more than enough

Still, the skater lube manages to pick up dust and dirt…..and there is no health side effects with the graphite powder if you do it properly, its basically the same as pencil ‘lead’.

RacerX
      Participant

bearing lube is very thin though doesn’t clag as badly but hell it’s expensive just use sewing machine oil I use the shit on my board works the same so it should work on a bit fine

z-beam
      Participant

dust and fluff are a bits worst enemy, and yeah it sticks to the oil pretty bad. it’s always good to race (or cruise) on a clean surface….

the trouble is finding a clean enough environment….

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.