Ok..im asking for a quick newbie intro!

Viewing 46 reply threads
  • Author
      Prowler3
      Participant

I liked the look of mini z s in my hobby shop window but really dont wanna for out cash…thats irrelevent but can someone give me a combatibilty guide for mini z s, mini x s and x-mods

or mini x s a clone of z s and xmods the american rip off?

plz help, thx

betty.k
      Participant

kyosho mini z: top quality 1:28 road racing chassis. 2 models available, mr01 and mr02. both require special parts. they both use the same motors, bearings, servo gears, and some other trivial parts. but for the most part it’s one or the other.

i waver: mini z mr01 cheapy copy. compatible with all mr01 parts.

mini x: i dunno much about these. i think they’re 1:24 scale 4wd road racers.

xmod: sold only through radio shack in america (and some places on ebay). 1:28 scale road racers, can be upgraded to 4wd. requires xmod parts.

all of these cars require parts specifically designed for them. there’s a little crossover, they all take the same size motors (130 size) except the mini x (?) and, um, maybe batteries. but that’s the official line. nuthin stopping us from a little frankenstining!:p:8ball:

betty.k
      Participant

kyosho mini z: top quality 1:28 road racing chassis. 2 models available, mr01 and mr02. both require special parts. they both use the same motors, bearings, servo gears, and some other trivial parts. but for the most part it’s one or the other.

i waver: mini z mr01 cheapy copy. compatible with all mr01 parts.

mini x: i dunno much about these. i think they’re 1:24 scale 4wd road racers.

xmod: sold only through radio shack in america (and some places on ebay). 1:28 scale road racers, can be upgraded to 4wd. requires xmod parts.

all of these cars require parts specifically designed for them. there’s a little crossover, they all take the same size motors (130 size) except the mini x (?) and, um, maybe batteries. but that’s the official line. nuthin stopping us from a little frankenstining!:p:8ball:

kevsta
      Participant

I think hobbyco have 4 mr01 mini-z readysets of the vw beetle going for $140 each.

Or shop around on the net, you could get some good bargains.

I’m picking up a second hand one for $80.

😀

kevsta
      Participant

I think hobbyco have 4 mr01 mini-z readysets of the vw beetle going for $140 each.

Or shop around on the net, you could get some good bargains.

I’m picking up a second hand one for $80.

😀

Prowler3
      Participant

hobby co? they sold em $300 last time i checked.

i really like the look of XMODS….but i dunno
      wats a good price for mini z’s and xmods so i can see a bargain if i find one

-thx

Prowler3
      Participant

hobby co? they sold em $300 last time i checked.

i really like the look of XMODS….but i dunno
      wats a good price for mini z’s and xmods so i can see a bargain if i find one

-thx

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

mini X’s are 1/28 4WD, they are weak and need special motors with long shafts for 4wd.

XMODS…..these may put you off ever buying a 1/28, they need quite alot of modding, both upgrade parts and work with a soldering iron and hobby knife to get them going nicely.

Mini Z, everybody loves these, the quality, performance, parts availability and huge range of upgrade parts from many different manufacturers make them a great vehicle to have.
      Mini Z’s use KO PROPO brand electronics and have a 512 step ESC, XMODS have 16 steps, mini X have 512 also, i waver has ??

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

mini X’s are 1/28 4WD, they are weak and need special motors with long shafts for 4wd.

XMODS…..these may put you off ever buying a 1/28, they need quite alot of modding, both upgrade parts and work with a soldering iron and hobby knife to get them going nicely.

Mini Z, everybody loves these, the quality, performance, parts availability and huge range of upgrade parts from many different manufacturers make them a great vehicle to have.
      Mini Z’s use KO PROPO brand electronics and have a 512 step ESC, XMODS have 16 steps, mini X have 512 also, i waver has ??

Prowler3
      Participant

yeah? i mean xmods look so much more sick tho! lol

wat sorta battery times do u get out this range of cars? also yeah, wats a good price for a mini-z so i can look at prices and know good value.

can u use inside? i mean room is a problem but theres no probs?

Prowler3
      Participant

yeah? i mean xmods look so much more sick tho! lol

wat sorta battery times do u get out this range of cars? also yeah, wats a good price for a mini-z so i can look at prices and know good value.

can u use inside? i mean room is a problem but theres no probs?

Prowler3
      Participant

ok….also if someone could fill me in on palm runners too….thx

Prowler3
      Participant

ok….also if someone could fill me in on palm runners too….thx

betty.k
      Participant

you can run these indoors, no sweat.
      battery times vary wildly depending on the type of battery, how hot the motor is, etc. just buy nimh to start with, alkalines just don’t cut it. with a stock z setup you should get about 1/2 an hour with nimh:8ball:

betty.k
      Participant

you can run these indoors, no sweat.
      battery times vary wildly depending on the type of battery, how hot the motor is, etc. just buy nimh to start with, alkalines just don’t cut it. with a stock z setup you should get about 1/2 an hour with nimh:8ball:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

palm runners are a kids toy, the only thing they have in common with the Mini Z is the wheels and bodies, the chassis and elecs is a cheap design with non proportional control, like a Bit Char-G.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

palm runners are a kids toy, the only thing they have in common with the Mini Z is the wheels and bodies, the chassis and elecs is a cheap design with non proportional control, like a Bit Char-G.

N-Hawk
      Participant

When looking at costs, note this: I thought the XMod might be a good starter in the 1/28 realm ’cause it was just $50USD intially. But in a matter of just 2-3 weeks, I found that I’d paid out well over $150USD for Radio Shack proprietary parts to upgrade it to a merely competitive level. Could have bought an Iwaver or even a Mini Z MR-01 for less than that! (and can’t even sell it to recoup my costs – a BIG newbie mistake on my part.)

Not familiar with the Mini X…

Don’t overlook the Iwaver – a Mini Z clone proving itself to be measure up competitively to the Kyosho at about 1/3-1/2 the initial cost. And it’s fully compatible with MR-01 parts.

N-Hawk
      Participant

When looking at costs, note this: I thought the XMod might be a good starter in the 1/28 realm ’cause it was just $50USD intially. But in a matter of just 2-3 weeks, I found that I’d paid out well over $150USD for Radio Shack proprietary parts to upgrade it to a merely competitive level. Could have bought an Iwaver or even a Mini Z MR-01 for less than that! (and can’t even sell it to recoup my costs – a BIG newbie mistake on my part.)

Not familiar with the Mini X…

Don’t overlook the Iwaver – a Mini Z clone proving itself to be measure up competitively to the Kyosho at about 1/3-1/2 the initial cost. And it’s fully compatible with MR-01 parts.

betty.k
      Participant

i should mention, the i waver is a “get what you pay for” deal. the parts are more fragile than on a kyosho and the steering servo pot degrades quickly. i had always planned on upgrading mine and i find problems just help me understand these things better, so i’m happy with my i waver purchase. but if you want something that runs sweet outta the box and you don’t wanna buy parts weekly for it then buy a kyosho mini z:8ball:

betty.k
      Participant

i should mention, the i waver is a “get what you pay for” deal. the parts are more fragile than on a kyosho and the steering servo pot degrades quickly. i had always planned on upgrading mine and i find problems just help me understand these things better, so i’m happy with my i waver purchase. but if you want something that runs sweet outta the box and you don’t wanna buy parts weekly for it then buy a kyosho mini z:8ball:

Prowler3
      Participant

well, how quikcly do these things go through batteries? like 8 AA in a controller!!! what!!!!

I like the look of iwaver’s. what should i upgrade imeeddiatly to make it more durable!

Prowler3
      Participant

well, how quikcly do these things go through batteries? like 8 AA in a controller!!! what!!!!

I like the look of iwaver’s. what should i upgrade imeeddiatly to make it more durable!

betty.k
      Participant

the tx lasts about 2 – 3 weeks with frequent use on alkalines. but i bought nimh’s again.

bearings is the number one upgrade for any rc. and the front end on i wavers is the weak point, knuckles, tierod, servo gears, servo pot. the h plate will break fairly soon too, forget about buying another plastic one. after that it’s pretty much all performance upgrades.:8ball:

betty.k
      Participant

the tx lasts about 2 – 3 weeks with frequent use on alkalines. but i bought nimh’s again.

bearings is the number one upgrade for any rc. and the front end on i wavers is the weak point, knuckles, tierod, servo gears, servo pot. the h plate will break fairly soon too, forget about buying another plastic one. after that it’s pretty much all performance upgrades.:8ball:

Prowler3
      Participant

hey, another one

XMODS… ppl said they wont keep up…does that mean they r slow or handle worse? cuz they look alot more fun to fool around with and just seem better value for a hobby car

Prowler3
      Participant

hey, another one

XMODS… ppl said they wont keep up…does that mean they r slow or handle worse? cuz they look alot more fun to fool around with and just seem better value for a hobby car

betty.k
      Participant

xmods are slow. they take quite a bit of modifying to get them up to decent speed, most i’ve heard of is about 40kph or so. mini z’s on the other hand can be made to launch into orbit:p:8ball:

betty.k
      Participant

xmods are slow. they take quite a bit of modifying to get them up to decent speed, most i’ve heard of is about 40kph or so. mini z’s on the other hand can be made to launch into orbit:p:8ball:

merc-blue
      Participant

Xmods can be fast.. just need lots of $$$$

merc-blue
      Participant

Xmods can be fast.. just need lots of $$$$

Prowler3
      Participant

i mean, like are they slow? or just not as fast as miniz’s?

Prowler3
      Participant

i mean, like are they slow? or just not as fast as miniz’s?

betty.k
      Participant

just not as fast as mini z’s. but they surely go fast enough. i’m getting one soon so i’ll know for sure then:8ball:

betty.k
      Participant

just not as fast as mini z’s. but they surely go fast enough. i’m getting one soon so i’ll know for sure then:8ball:

merc-blue
      Participant

lol really betty were from??

merc-blue
      Participant

Prowler3
      Participant

yeah, i really want one but i dont trust ebay..might get it sent to someone in america so they can send it 2 me

Prowler3
      Participant

yeah, i really want one but i dont trust ebay..might get it sent to someone in america so they can send it 2 me

betty.k
      Participant

well, i’m expecting some goods from an ebay shop that always stocks xmods. i’ll let you know how it goes. the only trouble i’ve had with ebay is winning bidders that don’t buy their goods!:angry::8ball:

betty.k
      Participant

well, i’m expecting some goods from an ebay shop that always stocks xmods. i’ll let you know how it goes. the only trouble i’ve had with ebay is winning bidders that don’t buy their goods!:angry::8ball:

dgs73
      Participant

poured all the upgrade parts into my Schmodd, only to have it about half as slow as my slower Z… needs a Plasma up it I think… Mini X are the smae size a Z, but a weaker chassis… fully mis-mounted motor, 4wd. See one going, perform better than the Xmod. Z agian; 4 batts for car (use NIMH; better results, last about 50 mins, less for hotter setup), and 8 in controller (these last 3 or so months… just dont leave it on!!) All up you can pay heaps for mods for any but the best value IMHO is the Z…:approve::D

dgs73
      Participant

poured all the upgrade parts into my Schmodd, only to have it about half as slow as my slower Z… needs a Plasma up it I think… Mini X are the smae size a Z, but a weaker chassis… fully mis-mounted motor, 4wd. See one going, perform better than the Xmod. Z agian; 4 batts for car (use NIMH; better results, last about 50 mins, less for hotter setup), and 8 in controller (these last 3 or so months… just dont leave it on!!) All up you can pay heaps for mods for any but the best value IMHO is the Z…:approve::D

dgs73
      Participant
      Quote:

merc; if all your posts are this short, no wonder you’re ahead of me… you should be ahead of Betty at this rate…:D

dgs73
      Participant
      Quote:

merc; if all your posts are this short, no wonder you’re ahead of me… you should be ahead of Betty at this rate…:D

betty.k
      Participant

i just got my stuff from here:

http://stores.ebay.com/Movie-Centrals-Variety-Store_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQdptZ0QQsclZallQQsotimedisplayZ2QQtZkm

it was a good deal all the way. they got xmods, zip zaps and related accesories:8ball:

betty.k
      Participant

i just got my stuff from here:

http://stores.ebay.com/Movie-Centrals-Variety-Store_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQdptZ0QQsclZallQQsotimedisplayZ2QQtZkm

it was a good deal all the way. they got xmods, zip zaps and related accesories:8ball:

Viewing 46 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.