Overland VS Monster ?

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      mrbishi
      Participant

Well as you all probably know I ve been well and truly been bitten by the mini-z bug and am very tempted to buy an overland/monster.

Just wanted to get some feedback from you all with your experiences of them. Do either of them have advantages / disadvantages comparted with eachother ?

I have seen some Overlands around which look like they have as much travel as a monster but I assume these are very custom jobbies.

Cheers,

mrbishi 🙂

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

From what i’ve heard/seen, none of the mini Z cars are offroaders, not even the monster.

They, from what i’ve seen are plagued by durability issues, unsealed gearboxes etc.

If you want a great offroad “truck” type vehicle there are swarms of 1/18 scale trucks about such as The Duratrax Mini Quake.

dtxd11chassis.jpg

mrbishi
      Participant

I’m not so really after an offroader – more of something to play around doing jumps, obstacle courses, technical stuff 🙂

Cheers,

mrbishi 🙂

TallduDe
      Participant

yeah monsters are cool but they roll over alot, overlanders seem neat but remember only yo use em on

carpet or the same surfaces as racers if your going to make jumps. plus monsters are tooooo problematic stuff is always breaking on them, unless you like taking your monster apart and putting aftermarket stuff in it which wasnt even meant for the monster (just like ph2T did) i would go for a 1/18th.

take it from me i owned a monster but i still want an overlander cant wait for the el cheapo toyeast stuff to come in :smiley2:

Jay-Z
      Participant

..man i`ve jumped my miniZ heaps, on carpet & even set up jumps at the netball courts and nothing broke!! monsters seem more fragile than Z`s, ask DGS!! monsters seem quick indoors but take it out in the open & the speed isn`t there.. miniking has a cool 4WD version!!

jamiekulhanek
      Participant
      Quote:
      I’m not so really after an offroader – more of something to play around doing jumps, obstacle courses, technical stuff 🙂

Cheers,

mrbishi 🙂

Same deal, you can use a 1/18 for anything you can use a mini monster for….

dgs73
      Participant
      Quote:
      ..man i`ve jumped my miniZ heaps, on carpet & even set up jumps at the netball courts and nothing broke!! monsters seem more fragile than Z`s, ask DGS!! monsters seem quick indoors but take it out in the open & the speed isn`t there.. miniking has a cool 4WD version!!

g.f., mate… your Z has had heaps more go wrong than my Monster… all i’ve broken is a damper stay and a front knuckle. How much has yours gone through? With all the gears between the diff and pinion of course there’s no speed!! Sheesh! Torque all over the place as a trade-off. And miniking’s truck is as slow as a monster. Only difference is size (1/18) and real 4 wheel drive. Bottom line; a stock Monster will not stand up to much (especially when there’s a couple of geese jumping racers in my lounge room.)

Jay-Z
      Participant

..don`t make me jinx myself here DGS!! i`ve never broken a damper stay or a front nuckle- acording to me all i`ve ever broken is a standard motor clip & that happened while the car was in my hand, didn`t even have AAA`s in it?!?. all i`m saying is that my mini has taken a beating & stood up to it. not even a broken H plate. am i forgetting some disaster i had??

dgs73
      Participant

on/off switch. To answer your question, tyes, you are forgetting. Either way, alot of people have told you both what jumping them will do, and ok you’ve been lucky and not buggered much. YET.

peteWah
      Participant

raaaaaaaaaaaaaawaaaah stop jumping MiniZ’S :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:
      :smiley2::D:smiley2:

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant
      Quote:
      yeah monsters are cool but they roll over alot, overlanders seem neat but remember only yo use em on carpet or the same surfaces as racers if your going to make jumps.

Monsters roll much less than regular OLs (never actually traction rolled my monster, which is very easy in the OL). The CG to overall width ratio is much lower in a monster so it rolls less. I agree that all Kyoshos should be kept inside. Mechanically, monster and OL are pretty much identical.

Have yet to break anything on the monster, OL has broken a few parts (I only noticed the cracks starting in the shock towers when building a new unbreakable chassis).

chino
      Participant

i really want tha mini quake. my offraod racer / rock crawler is an xmod, with metal cups, nuthing breaks. i did hav to change my xmods gearing to gain more torque now im able to use standard pitch pinions like micro rs4 pins or miniz pinions
      heres a few pics of a lil off roading, cool to see sum rock crawling as slide show.
      hope to have jump pics and vids soon
      http://photobucket.com/albums/v51/chino925/xmodster%20runz/?action=logout

Jay-Z
      Participant
      Quote:
      on/off switch. To answer your question, tyes, you are forgetting. Either way, alot of people have told you both what jumping them will do, and ok you’ve been lucky and not buggered much. YET.

yeah, my on/off switch did get pushed in but i think that had more to do with the switch being turned on & off without the aid of finger nails than it did jumping the thing.. sure the switch may be a little delicate but i`ve checked my Z after every jump (& it`s been jumped alot) & haven`t had a switch go again…

dgs73
      Participant
      Quote:
      raaaaaaaaaaaaaawaaaah stop jumping MiniZ’S :evil::evil::evil::evil::evil:
      :smiley2::D:smiley2:

it wont stop till the Z’s are dead… btw, Pete; your Zis running again, and shifted the Nelly wires so everything fits (yes people it does still work.) Come up this arvo. Bring your parts

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.