paint stripping question

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      froggy
      Participant

hey yall! i was wandering how i would go about stripping the paint of a BCG shell that has been painted on over the original colour with enamel paint. dont wont to damage the shell.

thanks guys! :smiley2:

Admin
      Participant

Nail varnish remover and a q-tip. Be very careful – The nail varnish remover may damage the plastic with prolonged contact.

Cheers,

Allan.

froggy
      Participant

i’ll give it shot, thanks for the tip debblah. oh and welcome to ausmicro, you’lle feel right at home with this friendly bunch!:)

barto_85
      Participant

yeah, i was considering re painting a car i screwed up (my first paint job) it has about 3 or 4 layers of paint (different colours) that were very quickly applied. Whats the best way to remove this, or is it too late for the old rexxy.

froggy
      Participant

i tried the nail varnish but it didn’t work too well it stained my shell. i tried terps after, that was better but it still left some paint in cracks and hard to reach areas. the worst part was that it fogged up my windows, can i use any thing that wont harm my shell in any way? more importantly not fog the windows.:angry:

Edited by – froggy on 12 September 2003 18:42:07

barto_85
      Participant

yeah, i’m with you, dont want to do any damage to the shell. Anyone done this before?

Admin
      Participant

Don’t use nail polish remover on plastic, it will melt. Oven cleaner works well as does Castrol Super Clean. Both will remove paint without melting the plastic. You can use enamel thinner if you are quick, but you still risk melting the plastic. I’ve heard PineSol works well, but I’ve never tried it myself.

VooDooMafia
      Participant

I use mineral spirts never had a prob with it harming the plastic and trust me I have use it alot(not saying much for my painting skills LOL)

froggy
      Participant

but does it fog up the windows? thats my main concern.

VooDooMafia
      Participant

I have nerv had a prob with it foggin up the windows.

froggy
      Participant

thats terps right? and how long did you leave the shell in for?

brendan
      Participant

i just use got all sand paper but only very fine grit sand paper if u use the heavy stuff u will wreck ur body

froggy
      Participant

that works great! especialy on clones, thanks brendan.:D

leonli17
      Participant

some clones has a thick layer of paint. It is good to use sand paper.
      I don’t really know about on Bit CHar-g shells. It’s really easy to scrach the plastic and only way to cover it is a thick layer of paint.

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.