Viewing 31 reply threads
  • Author
      peedee
      Participant

How do i paint my body and what paint do i use

thanks

kevsta
      Participant

Just don’t use the spray on tamiya paints because it bubbles and cracks on the surface of the shell – based on my experience. I’m thinking of hand painting mine now.

Kevsta

VR-4
      Participant

for solid colors use a air brush with some testers model paint. for doing stripes and studd just use testors paint makers then just spray a clear coat on it after

barto_85
      Participant

I actually use the spray on tamiya paints and have had no trouble with mine. I usually do about three fairly fine coats and I really like the final result. I have also experimented with car spray paint and found this good too, but again it must be applied in thin layers.

RacerX
      Participant

sand back some of the existing paint with fine grade sand paper and then use a light coat of primer then no matter what pant you use it’s safe

oxhadokenxo
      Participant

This is probably gonna sound like a REALLY stupid question..but I have a clear body I’m doing nothing with (I hate plain clear bodies)and I was thinking of painting it..which side should I paint (lol). I had a friend with large r/c cars and he always painted the underside so the paint wouldn’t scratch off..but which side do you paint..

barto_85
      Participant

I usually paint on the outside, but I have heard of people painting on the inside, I’m not sure which is better, but I usually paint on the outside.

Impreza
      Participant

oxhadokenxo, paint the outside of the body. Make sure you include a base coat/primer coat as well. Tape up the windshield and other areas you do not want painted prior to starting. If you are worried about the paint scratching off then add a clear gloss finish to your painted car.

If you want to have head and tail lights on your ride then paint those on the inside. For head and tail lights I would suggest a thin layer of paint only to glaze over the area. There are other ways/paints to do this but this has worked for me:)

oxhadokenxo
      Participant

Can someone tell me what kind of primer I need to use? Is primer neccessary? I don’t have a airbrush or anything so it’s not gonna be a pro job or anything, I just have 2 clear bodies and I dislike clear bodies…I guess I would be painting with a brush too and doing little detail with paint pens. So would primer be neccessary for something like that?

barto_85
      Participant

I dont use primer on clear bodies, I think you need to on the already painted ones. Just give it a very very light sand and there shouldn’t be any problems. Dont rely on me though, wait for someone more experienced to confirm.

RacerX
      Participant

From my model making experiacnce primer is not neccesary but gives better colour and I think it protects the paint job a bit more. but like barto I’m no expert

oxhadokenxo
      Participant

I’m guessing use the finest sandpaper possible? Anyone ever used spray paint?

z-beam
      Participant

your guess is right. DONT use real car spray paint. it is way to thick. and make sure you mask the windows and press real firm on the edges of the tape to stop piant messing up your windows.

good luck, and check the older threads about the topic……

PandaBear
      Participant

Major tips that no one else has mentioned…

1) use only GOOD masking tape. Get the Tamiya yellow stuff or the BLUE tape that 3M sells.
      All the other $2 beige stuff… don’t waste your
      time and efforts.

2) primer is good if you’re painting light colors
      that are not very opaque. Primer gives opacity
      to the lighter colours, covers up any darker
      or clear areas.

3) always use same type/brand of primer as paint.

4) if you don’t care for clear windows and can’t
      be bothered masking, just paint the bodycolor
      whole then handpaint the glass areas with black.

5) BCG clear bodies are too thick for painting on
      the inside. It’ll look like a lump of crystal…

barto_85
      Participant

I do use spray paint, and yes the finest sand paper possible. z-beam, I believe you can use real car spray paint if you are very careful, the gloria in my gallery was painted using car spray paint, but of course, I shook it for about 10 minutes and made light coats.

z-beam
      Participant

10 minutes! that musta been my problem.
      nice metalic purple.

barto_85
      Participant

nah it wasn’t really 10 minutes, but a few minutes. I just painted my supra with car paint also, check it out here. I think it turned out well. just scroll down this page a little, both of my cars are there.http://www.bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpForum/viewtopic.php?t=1510&start=135

barto_85
      Participant

nah it wasn’t really 10 minutes, but a few minutes. I just painted my supra with car paint also, check it out here. I think it turned out well. just scroll down this page a little, both of my cars are there.http://www.bitpimps.lixlink.com/pages/phpForum/viewtopic.php?t=1510&start=135

ph2t
      Participant

I’ve used car paints like barto as well with no probs. Heat the can in *warm* water for about 10 mintues then shake the can for a futher 2-3 minutes. This works well……

ph2t
      Participant

I’ve used car paints like barto as well with no probs. Heat the can in *warm* water for about 10 mintues then shake the can for a futher 2-3 minutes. This works well……

barto_85
      Participant

oh ok, havn’t tried heating the can, thanks for the tip.

barto_85
      Participant

oh ok, havn’t tried heating the can, thanks for the tip.

ib311
      Participant

did you look at the painting mods at RCmod?

ib311
      Participant

did you look at the painting mods at RCmod?

peedee
      Participant

what about using citadel model paint for warhammer would that work

Super Max Power
      Participant

That’s a lot of surface area to cover if you are planning on inking and dry brushing a whole BCG cover. If done well the effect would look very good.

Anyway you get a better finish with spray on paint.

Impreza
      Participant

With a bit more practice under my belt I would suggest that either airbrushing or spraying the primary color on you car is the best way to go.

Panda is right on the money with not mixing acrylic and enamel paints :blush: When you spray enamel ontop of acrylic it tends to bubble or strip the acrylic layer (I found that you can hand paint acrylic ontop of enamel with good results-but it is best to keep it simple and not mix). I also agree that primer should be used when painting light colors as you will have to spray on more layers of paint on without using a primer. And last… ph2t and others are right on the money when they tell you to warm the paint (and shake it) as it will give you MUCH better results. Just don’t shake the airbrush propellant:)

As for sanding prior to painting I feel that for me it only helped on previously painted cars (helped take off a layer or two of paint so the final job doesn’t look so thick). On clear bodies I just make sure the body is clean. But I am open to other ideas on this one.

sorry for the long post and thanks Panda, should have listened to you earlier:smiley2:

twizm
      Participant

painting is fairly simple. ive never done a bit, but my 1/24th kits usually turn out brilliant. tamiya paints are good but make sure you buy the correct type. get plastic paints, not the lexan body paint. ALWAYS USE PRIMER. i dont heat my paint, i just shake it for 5minutes or so and make sure its nice and ready. clear gloss works well, but you need to shake that ALOT so it doesnt come out gluggy. also for that showroom shine use some of tamiyas polishing wax, its the best thing on earth to cut back that rough paint job into a silky smooth mirror finish.

*was not paid for that advertisement :clown:*

Impreza
      Participant

Haven’t tried the wax. Will have to look for it next time I am in a hobby shop.

brendan
      Participant

i used car paint on skyline shook it for bout 3 mins they just sprayed over it, taping it first but, i never use primer. The body was white so there aint really a differnce when using primer or not.

z-beam
      Participant

peedee: if you can dry brush well do it, i have and it looks great if done subtly. clear coat afterward to protect the art…

‘prezza: masking sux bad, so painting windows with acrylic silver or black after a nice enamel spray like you said is my prefered technique. but just as before give it a clear coat afterward for nice shiny looks.

another tip for sprayers: tamiya coloured transparent gloss’ are an awesome creator of realistic depth. a metalic purple with blue transparent (2 coats) gives the deepest bleu you ever seen. candy green metalic ala my echo (or whatever) with blue on top results in a real nice jade green.

soon to see what the metallic purple with a pink transparent will result in.

Impreza
      Participant

brendan, primer will definately help when you are putting lights in your body or are working with a body mod or the body is several different colors when you start.

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.