Parts and upgrades

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

I got to this forum through QFM Racing Bitchar Custom Modification site and still have many questions but I have managed to come up with at least one suggestion for cheaper parts. The springs for the front suspension can be aquired at a lock smith store. I search all over to find the spring for cheaper and then realized (my father being a locksmith) that the compression springs in a lock where just about right. I went to the local locksmith and got them for 10c apeice. considering that they were going for $2 and you had to wait for shipping.

Secondly I found a the NiMH 1/3 batteries for .25c and .50c apeice for decent ones, BUT you have to order $500 and $200 respectively. :smiley11:

http://www.powerstream.com/NiB.htmis one of the places. On top of that it would take them 3-6 weeks to get the order to you.

Anyone else find where to get (tear apart certain battery pack) these batteries cheap?

Another mod required rare eath magnets, which can be aquired at Radio Shack for about $1.50

If you have any suggestions or experience where to get cheap upgrade parts, lets hear!

Oh ps, the place i got the car was at a kiosk they also had motors there a box full of them and all the ends different colors. Each for a buck… I ask in another thread about it, but does anyone know if that would rate the motors speed for “generic motors”?

Admin
      Participant

yeah red is 3.0 (30000 rpm)and green is 2.2 (22000 rpm) and pink is 3.8 (38000 rpm) and so on

DaveF
      Participant

I would have said the 2.2s are urine yellow, but maybe that’s just me.

DaveF
      Participant

I would have said the 2.2s are urine yellow, but maybe that’s just me.

I’ve always wonderred – what’s the benefit/advantage of the rare earth magnet? Why bother spending the money to get them at all.

Nice tips on the other stuff though. What make/model of lock was the spring from (save time when we go into the locksmith), or what was the specs for the spring (size, wind, tension, etc.)?

AdamC
      Participant

Anyone else interested in getting some of these batteries in? if a few of us get together …….

Has anyone else done this and selling them at a reasonable price?

Admin
      Participant
      Quote:
      Originally posted by AdamC on 10January2003

Anyone else interested in getting some of these batteries in? if a few of us get together …….

Has anyone else done this and selling them at a reasonable price?

AdamC go to http://www.batteryworld.com.au and phone the number to find your nearest dealer, i got 2 decent batterys for around $10 including shipping, they make a lot of differance!

Admin
      Participant

Davef, i don’t have the specs on the springs yet. I just went to the locksmith and showed him what i wanted and where they went. He laughed and found the springs for me. Didn’t take long. But I should have some more specs soon. My father is sending an assortment of springs to me and I will see which work the best and can then pass the information on. My father said you could pick up bags of the springs for $4 or 5 for 100.

AdamC: as for the batteries i would be in for it, but we run into a slight problem of the companies are in the US and as i see a lot of the people are in AUS. But if you could get a even 10 people to buy them that reduces your cost to about 20 a person… not bad. So you would have 40 batteries… LOL but if you are like me you have several cars and there is always a friend or two that would buy them off of you.

IF anyone in the US is interested let me know we can start getting a list

DaveF
      Participant

People sell those batteries on eBay for about $4 US each, with $1 US shipping. Battery World in Aus sells them for about $5 each, and they have shops Aus wide.

Thanks VB. Any wiser on the Rare earth magnets?

GT-ahh
      Participant

its my understanding that char-gs come with rare earth magnetsanyway….

AdamC
      Participant

Thanks Cranga and vbbartlett

Yeah i have 5 now (just bought an OEM celica from a local hobby shop, yellow motor) There’s a batteryworld around the corner from where I am (newcastle) you dont happen to know a part number would you??

DaveF
      Participant

Not off the top of my head. What’s in a Char-G already is a 1/3 AAA 50mah NiMH battery. The best upgrade they can sell is a 1/3 AAA 130mah battery (so they told me), but I hear that 150mah is out there somewhere.

Admin
      Participant

AdamC

I dont have the info on me now, but when i purchased from battery world, i just said that i need a 1/3 AA battery around 100 – 160 NIMh i think thats what it is and they looked it up in the book, they should know what you need if you speak to the right person, if not ill post here with correct info later.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Just to get things straight, the Tomy N50-AAA NiCd batteries are 1/4 AAA. 10mmdia and 14mm long.Thats ONE QUARTER AAA. I dont know why people keep refering to them as 1/3AAA .(1/3AAA batteries are 20mm long and wont fit).You can get the batteries in Vic (Oz) for about AU$30 for 10 including postage. The site is setup as an international website in US$ but stock is mailed from South Yarra in Melbourne and will be in Oz letterboxes 2-3 days after ordering.

http://www.batterieswholesale.com/nimh.htmscroll down to the 1/4 AAA listing and note the comment on their site that this is an upgrade battery for Tomy Bit Char-g R/C cars

Now that is just too easy

uA

Admin
      Participant

Something is amuck… http://www.batterystation.com/nicads.htmlists the battery sizes also and first thing is that the N50-aaa are listed as 1/3 AAA. The size listed for that battery is 10.5×16

now the NiMH 1/3 aaa are listed at 10×15 making them smaller and still usable. This information can be verified at http://tinyrc.com/qfm/racing/mod_04.htm#14where it describes the type of battery and how the NiMH are slightly smaller.

But as far as micro_Amps was stating, I would agree with him that from that site you should order the 1/4aaa, since they state that battery is the one for microcars.

The other question is – Is there a difference between battery sizes between the courntries??? Maybe and then again it could be that one store labels them different from the next. So thx to micro_Amps for bringing out the fact that you should LOOK very closely at the battery size of what you are ording!

OH as i was surfing for this post it occurs to me the Problem… DUH, it is the brand of battery you are buying!!! I found another site http://www.tperc.com/tpespecsNiMH.htmlthat has the size for a 1/3aaa listed as 10×13.7… quite a bit shorter than what is needed. And so watch out and also watch for whether the battery is NiCad or NiMH

Admin
      Participant

Springs!!! Well I have some good news. (No specs yets sorry) But the springs i do have work totally awsome!!! Even better than I thought. Ok lets see if i can describe what is going on. The springs are tappered so you neede to cut of the tappered end and then cut the spring to size, well that is what I thought. YOU DO NOT NEED TO CUT OFF THE TAPERED END!!!! At first attempt the tapered end doesn’t fit but ifyou screw the spring on it widens the spring and it fits and tight too. What that means is that the precision of the spring height doesn’t need to be exact!!! Using something small and sharp you can move the spring up the rod to the height you would like the springs set at. Note that you have to get pretty close but just slightly smaller than you need. But by adjusting where the spring sits on the rod you are able to fine tun the height of the car!

On a second note – I have NO clue why you would want the rare earth metals over the magnet there… just saw it in a mod. I guess I should thing whether all mods are benefitial. :smiley9: If anyone has a thought one way or not let us know.

Ok yet another subject… tailskids, anyone have any ideas how to build one or RATHER where to get the parts???

micro_Amps
      Participant

Sorry Vbbartlett you are correct. The site I suggested seems to list them as the WRONG size. I have only everbought the batteries from there so I took for granted that 1/4AAA was the size. If you measure an AAA battery it is about 44mm long so the batteries we use being about 15mm long whichis definitely1/3!!!

People be aware that different manufacturers are calling the battery we use both 1/3AAA and 1/4AAA. Make sure if you are ordering thatu buy the one that is 10mm x 15mm or there abouts. The supplyer I suggested lists them as 1/4AAA but states its BCG compatible. The compatibility comment is correct, the size is not. The dimensions however are correctand they are cheap at about $AU3.00 each delivered.

http://www.batterieswholesale.com/nimh.htm

Impreza
      Participant

Sorry, a bit confused now?? If I want to buy a Nihm battery do I get a 1/3 AAA or a 1/4 AAA?? I think I will take one of my Nicd’s in with me when I check out the stock at the local shop:(

DaveF
      Participant

Take the battery and car with you.

micro_Amps
      Participant

If you are shopping for the NiMH batteries buy the 1/3AAA (10mm x 15mm) unless you go to the site I suggested, they are calling them 1/4AAA. They are the only site calling them 1/4

I apologise if I caused any confusion

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.