Pics and Vid from the latest Melbourne meet!

Home Forums Mini-Z, Mini-X, X-Mods and other Mini-Scale Mini-Z, Mini-X, X-Mods – Discussion Pics and Vid from the latest Melbourne meet!

Viewing 61 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Well, we had a great time today even though most of the day we played chicken with the weather!!! It got close to being a wash out at times but otherwise we were lucky.:smiley16:

In the end the track was still wet in most places so all of our cars were spinning out like crazy. Even the stickiest slicks didn t help that much….:dead:

My grief with today was that there was more “fix all your bloody problems” time versus actual track time. I busted a front gear box on the madforce, so I replaced with the alloy one that s for the Overland. There s a space issue though that limit s my turning to the right. I mounted some washers under the screw posts to add some clearance and that did help BUT now the servo saver was popping out of it s place and causing issue, back to the drawing board on that one…

I also busted the front servo in my mr01, gotta pull it apart and find EXACTLY what happened. I see myself going onto my THIRD servo 1st gear. arghh…..:evil:

Betty busted a h-plate. Pork busted a h-plate and his servo gears. Leon was lucky. Merc busted the usual stuff, this guy is a walking casualty ward for R/C, lol….

We came to the conclusion that everyone that broke something was runnning a Nelly turbo, haha! maybee not the best marketing point! lol….

Pork brought his speed checker, man those things as waaaaaay cool!

My mr01 with a nelly and the 35turn http://www.minizworkshop.com motor pulled 56kph (12t) and 36kph (9t) respectively. The madforce (with diff lock plate on) was a healty 28kph. Take the diff plate off AND hold on of the tyres so all the power goes into the other tyre saw the madforce top out at 50kph!!! wow, this is caused by the tyre deforming and pushing out from centre. this increased diameter leads to a bigger tyre and hence greater top speed.

I can t remeber the speeds of the other guys cars, I m sure they ll post the info here shortly. The important things was mine was the fastest. lol……

Leon s car was probably the best “on track” performer for the day. Betty s wanna-Z was pretty good as well, but steering twitch issues brought it down. Mind you , my mr01 had severe steering issues as well.

Anyways, here s some photos from today s meet up. The players are Leonli17, Betty.K, Merc_blue, Pork_hunt and myslef, the ph2t stor…..

I ve got some video of the day s action as well. It will be uploaded shortly.

cheers,

ph2t.

Edited by – ph2t on 20 June 2004 21:04:24

Edited by – ph2t on 25 June 2004 14:54:05

Participant

Wow top stuff from Melbourne,Can’t wait for the videos 😀
      Too bad Sydney doesn’t have a permanent rc track except off road track :p (comment me if i’m wrong)

btw ph2t check your PM:smiley2:

Participant

ph2t the ground looks very uneven for racing MR01’s….or is it flatter in reality? BTW i managed to reach 35 kmph as well but with an SO3 + twin turbo setup……btw what rc is that above the micrors4? 🙂

Participant

above the Micro RS4 is a Tamiya M03 Mini Chassis.

Participant

Well, here’s the first video:

race1.jpg

Basically this was the closest we got to a real race for the whole day! It’s starts out with cars going everywhere and basically the only car that crossed the finish line was merc’s M03.

http://users.tpg.com.au/ph2t/temp/temp_race.avi

Divx, 1.8MB

more to come!

ph2t.

Participant

the seond car crossed the finish line was my miniZ. except it’s not on the movie.
      And my MiniZ topped out 46kph on the speed checker with 11t pinion and 37t armature.

Edited by – leonli17 on 21 June 2004 00:29:06

Participant

geo, the surface is smooth as, laid in one go tarmac. it’s just the wet patches that make it look uneven. although i wish there was something wrong with the surface, then i’d have an excuse for my bad driving!:D
      certainly was a bit of carnage, but nothing we couldn’t handle. great to meet virgin atlantic and see some nutso drifting, great day for it!
      of course there’s vid of the race i did the worst in!:8ball:

Participant

Bugger i wish i had my MR01 going at 100% and had the skill to drive it, I would have lapped yas on my 2nd lap!!

Participant

cheers for the info. Hopefully we’d all meet up sometime and have a grand race….maybe at the canberra g2g if that’s still on :).

Participant

😀 the way we were driving you could’ve lapped us with a stunt twister buggy!:8ball:

Participant

oh yeah mate its still on… we missed you on the weekend dude… shame dat, but crap wind all day. Wound up only staying for about 2 hours. Too cold!!

Participant

oh yeah mate its still on… we missed you on the weekend dude… shame dat, but crap wind all day. Wound up only staying for about 2 hours. Too cold!!

Participant

I’ll be there next week dgs. By then hopefully we’d have faster Z’s, the speed at which those melbournites go is insane! It seems the fastest we get is with plasma dash….

just seen the vid, fantastic. The bigger tamiya was quite loud….and the track is HUGE. Makes our small ‘L’ look microscopic 😉

Participant

yeah those melbourne peeps are lucky with that track.

i couldnt even see my car if i used that track would have to wear my glasses:p

btw that tamiya mini screams, but y 4 no body?

Participant

lol u like my mini.. heheheehehe it had no body casue i was cheating with a 7 cell pack.. hes pretty fast with a 6 cell but the 7 cell was just to give it a touch more speed

Participant
      Quote:
      I’ll be there next week dgs. By then hopefully we’d have faster Z’s, the speed at which those melbournites go is insane! It seems the fastest we get is with plasma dash….

dude, none of us (apart from pork_hunt) were running plasma’s. I wish! I was running a 35turn. leon was running a 37turn and betty was running an x-speed(45turn)……

ph2t.

Participant

Here’s the next video:

this is just the fellas mucking around, including a bloody grumpy cameraman! lol….

http://users.tpg.com.au/ph2t/temp/muck1.avi

Divx, 1.7MB

more to come!

ph2t.

Edited by – ph2t on 22 June 2004 07:47:03

Participant

GeoZ: u have a S03 with TLP Twin Turbo right? u should be able to reach 40kph plus on speed checker no problem with big pinions. My motor is pretty much like a S03 without neo magnets. THe turbo is a V2 but double stacked.

ANd man the second movie is good. but we missed the scene when the M03 hit my Z’s front and flew up. my Z got away with just a tire mark on the bonnet.

Participant

where is this track??

Participant

all track info is here http://users.bigpond.net.au/putnam/

i’d swear the audio is from dumb and dumber!:8ball:

Participant

Mini-z with a nelly and a plasma dash. Pick it up, throw it at a wall, THATS how much damage you will do to it on its firt outing. In one year of stock LXX-z’s haven’t broken a single part, in one day manged to break 2!

Participant

leonli, my mini-z with tlp turbo and SO3 is run with a 9t setup; I’ll definitely consider getting a 12t pinion in the future! BTW the TLP twin turbo of mine is a dodgy one, there is no reverse (just funny glitching).

How did you ‘double stack’ a GPM V2???? I heard from many ppl that a single one will do (?)…..did you solder it directly to the Z’s + – posts?

About Neo’s: although the SO3 is faster than x-speed, those mags certainly slow things down. I’m getting rapid runtime drops using SO3 + twin turbo setups….and after 10mins, the magnets ‘lock’ the motor down. I usually have to give it a push to have things running again. I don’t think this is normal, and if it is, it’s certainly not worth putting neos for that added torque effect 🙁

While I was in Taiwan, the people there used the handwound 35t rotor….possibly the same as yours….it was plenty loud, tho.

Back on topic, nice vids;)

Participant

yeah, back to the topic of vids….

I couldn’t resist, I had to do another madforce video. I like this video ’cause it was a solid outdoors experience in mud and gravel packed surfaces. In the vid you really see how well the oil shocks run.

For ages I only had oil shocks on the rear (don’t ask) and when going offroad FAST, you tend to loose it and the front end stays up in the air most of the time.

now with oil shocks, she glides on butter…..

http://users.tpg.com.au/ph2t/temp/temp_madforce.avi

Divx, 4.9MB.

yeah!

ph2t.

Participant

nice vid man.

i always found on grass my monster jumps too much and the front is always in the air, but on gravel and loose surface its aot of fun!

Participant

maybe my alloy front servo case is contributing to the front end weight, dunno…..

Participant

Nice Video!(because i took it, lol).

Participant

Nice video, better than the one before LOL

Anyhow Ph2t how come the monster keeps getting back on 4 wheels everytime you flip? Do u have a roll cage or something inside that thing?

Participant

it’s called luck, the thing just kept on goin and goin. it doesn’t have any roll cage kinda things.

Participant

is the track up the top a 1:10 track?

Participant

yeh its a proper track.. but with the mini-za that we got we need the room.. i dont think you could race the mini-zs without having somthing like a 1:18 track (mrs4s and m-18s) atleast

Participant

Any plans to do this again in the near future?

Participant

you’re in Melb!!!???? Cool! another playa!

Mate, betty and I were there yesterday for bit of a track test on the latest mods! We’ll have another meet soon, undoubtably!!

ph2t.

Participant

oh we’ll be doing this again for sure! it’s a pity we all bought our z’s just before winter, makes meetups fewer, but we’ll be there again:8ball:

Participant

yeh guys once my Z is here i think we need a meet.. so we can show. ‘kyosho’ mods vs ‘our’ mods also the xmod will be together (but slow) just waiting on a package

Participant

Great 🙂

Not much of a driver,
      Dunno much about setting up the cars,
      But love messing with the electrics 🙂
      And always willing to learn.

(Live in Heathmont, Work in Croydon.)

Participant

shit man, up until last year I lived in Ringwood, worked in Bayswater… you know that place that makes da trucks…….

Participant

Kenworth? Along Canterbury Road?
      How about now, Hopefully not too far.
      How about everyone else?
      (Boronia would be mor convinient for me, but perhaps templestowe is best for everyone else)

Participant

I go to Croyden for work sometimes…

Participant

we’re spread out pretty far! i’m in the inner eastern burbs. kenworth? i know someone that used to work there:smiley2:

and man, one look at our driving skills and you’ll feel alot better about yours!:D:8ball:

Participant

so there’s a track in boronia? it’s on scoresby rd yeah?

Participant

There’s some tennis courts on the right hand side of Dorset Rd just after the Boronia Road intersection, Its used by the Boronia club (can’t remember their full name) they use it for 1:10 races Wednesday nights, but i’ve seen others use it on the weekend for practice, we wouldn’t have exclusive access, but given the speeds you guys have been quoting I would love to see how the 1:28’s measure up to the 1:10’s.

Edited by – kitsune on 21 July 2004 09:02:34

Participant

the speed quoted are all speed checker speed so u cant gauge the speed from that. also 1:10s can turn at the speed were as the Zs cant really u cant drive full thottle

Participant

Well, here’s a funny video where my rear tyre goes haywire and my car manages to shake it’s own h-plate off, lol….

Divx, (790KB)
      http://users.tpg.com.au/ph2t/temp/blooper.avi

Here’s some video of my mr01 and me trying to keep the thing from spinning out, bloody rear tyres……

Divx, (1.5MB)
      http://users.tpg.com.au/ph2t/temp/nelly.avi

The car in both vids is running:

– nelly 1.1
      – 35 turn armature, ball bearing can, plasma dash magnets, carbon brushes
      – 9t pinion
      – pn-racing motor mount (the best mount there is!)
      – GP-750 x 4 Nimhs (heavily mistreated)

ph2t.

On a fresh set of nimh’s she was hitting 40kph on the tammy speed checker..

Edited by – ph2t on 21 July 2004 17:11:26

Edited by – ph2t on 21 July 2004 19:03:41

Participant

it was pretty funny watching the h plate disassemble itself before my eyes!:D rilly gotta check them screws from time to time ph2t!!:8ball:

Participant

Can you put the nellyrun.avi vid back up plz ph2t ?

Participant

thats some funny stuff.. u sohuld teflon tape them screws in (learnt that leasson with the roll shocks) they loose screws all the time

Participant

yeah, there was a typo in the link for the 2nd vid, all fixed now…..

Yeh, the rear end setup is still screwy. I gotta tighten everything up.

ph2t.

Participant

Fark man, that thing looks like it was very hard to control.

Participant

yeah it was due to the fact that I had no rear suspension setup. I didn’t have my roll shocks installed, nor did I have my rear tyres glued on, as I need to do. I just scored a rear damper shock so I gotta ad that too.

that’s what I mean, until I get the handling ok, there’s no need to increase the top speed, YET!

ph2t.

Participant

i think wat hes saying is “until i learn to drive as good as everyone else then i can make it faster”… JK mate.. yeh i deffiently agree no use in having pure speed if it cant be controlled (the main issue i had with a xmod was getting it to turn at high speed)

Participant

smart arse….:smiley2:

Participant

I know exactly what you mean…..I have decided that the XMOD is going to be my last 1/28 R/C….for now.

Just not practical enough….

Participant

I’m sooo tempted to go 1/18 now, soooo tempted….

Participant

heck, even i’m looking at 1:10 4wd offroaders!:p:8ball:

Participant

ph2t, have you considered different oils for the shocks?? Most LHS’s have 100ml or so bottles, which is enough for about 5 refills on a 1/10.

What weight oil is in them as standard??

changing oils (and keeping them topped up) is very important, and will see different damping characteristics.

Participant

they’re spring roll shocks dude, not oil, can you get oil roll shocks? or you talking about the damper shock? if so that’s just spring as well…. I though only the mr02 had the oil damper shock…..

ph2t.

Participant

yeh samn.. betty/ph2t if you want 1:18 i know ther is a mini-t and a VMG on ebay both for 200 ish (aud)

Participant

when i wasy same (i though oil shocks only in mr02)

Participant

Trent, i’d reccomend 1/10 4wd off road,

nitro or electric, both can be fast, both have pro’s and cons.

Participant

yeh go for a tamiya.. dirt thrash is awrsome (but abit expensive) theres also the baja champ and baja king… also kyosho do the best GP offroads. (also things like associated b4 and the schuy fireblade but spares are hard 2 get) metro hobbys does a RTR duratrax pretty cheap

Participant

I never want to here you say that you dont want more speed ph2t!! or ill slap you 😀

I was looking into getting a 1:10 scale madforce, but it was gunna cost me to much and at the moment im saving for a car. The price i can remember was 600 aud with the car, pretty much fully hopped up.

Participant

lol, speed isn’t very hard to gain if you have the cash and all….keep adding batteries (using something to keep it safe for the electronics, like Jshwaa’s regulator mod…lol), wind the motor down, keep stacking FETs/turbos, blah blah….It’s CONTROLLING the speed that gets difficult….What’s a 75+ mph system worth if you can’t hook it up to the ground?

For trying to go straighter, you could always (I’ve said this before) put harder springs in the front and softer in the back, put harder tires in the front and softer in the back, adjust the motor so that it’s behind the rear axle….Of course, with less traction in the front and more in the rear, it won’t spin out too easily, but then it may be hard to turn…meaning you have to slow down for the turns or whatever…It’s kinda hard to find the right balance…that’s why some people go for handling upgrades before the speed upgrades…lol….

Viewing 61 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.