Please help me – chosing a ride.

Home Forums General Chat Please help me – chosing a ride.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      blurrc
      Participant

Sorry if I am posting to much I dont mean to spam ๐Ÿ˜ฎ I just wanted some help picking a new ride.

I am looking for something 1/18th or smaller but I dont want a bit sized car.
      I am also looking for a car that has alot of upgrades available so I can get right into customizing but I would really like it to be able to be setup for drift. My budget is probaly around $120 but I could stretch it. The only cars that I can think of are Xmods or an Iwaver (but I dont know much about these). I am a fairly confident driver and wanted something that can get up to a decent speed.
      If anyone can think of a suitable car or suggest one of the 2 I mentioned I would be extremely grateful

Thanks, Blur.

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

You are probably best off looking around for a “Takara Tomy Drift Package” car… I haven’t tried one or even seen them in person, but you could get 2 for the money you are looking to spend, and they MIGHT tide you over until you can afford to drop the cash for a Mini-Z AWD…

Random one I found on eBay…

blurrc
      Participant

yer i suppose your right but i will still have to think about it i know the best place to buy those cars so i might just go for one of them thanks
      i still would like to hear some opinions on the xmods and I wavers though

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

I haven’t had an Xmod, but only because they never got released in Australia. The last I-waver I had had the dodgiest electronics I have ever used… They came good on 3.6 volts though…

On the other hand I have had a few Tomy and a few Takara cars, and they have all been great fun. I reckon there are probably hop ups out there for the Drift Package if you hit up Google…

Just my $0.02…

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

for drifting you’ll want a Mini Z AWD, but will cost more than $120..

blurrc
      Participant

Yer that is why I was looking towards buying an Xmod with drift set up.
      Thanks for your help Pork Hunt but there arenโ€™t any hop ups available for drift package light unfortunately although you can put tamiya mini 4wd motors in them but I will probably go for the Xmod because I have only ever owned toy like rc cars and I want to get into something a tad more serious.

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

From what I have seen of Xmod they aren’t that much more serious. If you can get a hold of one these days, (the only way to get one in AUS was to get a Yank member send you one) it is going to cost you ALL of your $120 and it will be only a little better than toy-grade. I reckon Mini-Z tyres will fit on the TTDP if you get sick of drifting, either one you will want to add M-Z electronics to after 12 months or so…

Don’t make me buy one just to prove a point ๐Ÿ˜€

BTW Welcome to the forums man, I have been weighing this exact same idea up in my head for a few months now… Solved now, bought a 3ch Heli… ๐Ÿ˜€

betty.k
      Participant

i’ve had a go of the drift light cars, they’re great fun and don’t really need any hop ups. for the money you wanna spend i’d say they’re the best choice. :8ball:

blurrc
      Participant

Ok I might get the dpl then although i did find a Xmods 1st gen on aus ebay
      “buy it now” $60, $15 postage and the starting bid is $20, any comments on that buy?

blurrc
      Participant

Yep I have decided to get the dpl and I am going to buy a tamiya mini 4wd motor for it ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ Thanks alot for your help Betty, Pork and Dave maybe I can even be official dpl guy :p but first I gotta get it from ebay. Also can somene still answer my question in the above post.^^
      Thanks again guys. Cheers :beer: Blur.

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

I’m not sure what else we can cover…? From what I have read $75 for a first gen Xmod is a good price, but you are still stuck with non-hobby grade electronics, cheap plastic parts, no upgrades, no support in Australia or Asia, dying support for mods, etc, etc, etc… The DPL has most of those limitations, but is 5 years newer and if you watch the videos it looks like MAD fun! Check out Youtube for video of a stock Xmod, I haven’t even been able to find any… Best of luck either way man!

whtang
      Participant

have you considered the i-waver? they have those on ebay as well…
      check out betty.k’s post here..
      http://www.ausmicro.com/forum//showthread.php?t=17122&page=2

then you can come down to the gigspeed track and take it for a spin :o)

blurrc
      Participant

I wish i could but i live in QLD and I dont know of any micro rc tracks around were i live….. What state has the most action when it come to micro r/cing?

blurrc
      Participant

Sorry for double posting.
      I just wanted to know what you need to do to set up a Iwaver for drift?
      And were is the best place to buy car/parts besides from ebay?

EDIT:

Does anyone know when the Iwaver 04m awd will be released?

Dangerous Dave
      Participant

Iwaver 02M and IW01 are both 2WD, so setting up for drift is very hard, and driving/drifting even harder.
      Would try hard drift tyres on the rear, maybe same or hard rubber on the front.
      I can powerslide a bit on my carpet with a RearMount Iwaver Skyline, at best it would border on drifting, limited control.

Sounds like Gigspeed (the track in Melbourne) have cars and parts.

The IW 04M has been in the pipeline a long time, most ppl wonder if it will ever be in production. Mini-ZRacer.com has some info, but not much.

blurrc
      Participant

I am gonna gey the DPL and then wait till I have more money for a mini z awd ๐Ÿ™‚
      oops my sig is huge

blurrc
      Participant

Ok this is sad ๐Ÿ™
      Nearly a month later and I didn’t get any of those cars :(:(
      but I am buying the zip zaps car from renton to ad to my micro collection ๐Ÿ™‚
      Just out of interest what do you guys reckon the best 1/36 to 1/18 sized off-roader is? ……. I can’t decide ๐Ÿ™

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

My mini-z Overland has been AWESOME the whole time I have had it. Started out with Spider + Anima and was stupidly fast. Dropped it down to a Auldey 4wd “slot” racer motor and put some Lego tyres on it for a couple of years. She has been relegated to the shelf due to not being able to find steering knuckles… ๐Ÿ™

The local hobby shop up here has a Kyosho Half-8, but with the Japanese HumVee hard-shell, $160! If only I had the funds for it…

What are you looking at, at that scale?

blurrc
      Participant

Yer the overlands look pretty awesome but I was thinking of something more rugged and for outdoors use as well. As in like a losi or a pro pulse or something along those lines.

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.