Problems with from wheel binding?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

Hi Guys,

The front right wheel of my Bitcharg binds up with hair etc from the floor. This makes it pull to the right badly. Anyone got any fixes? It’s really hard to get the muck out.

Anyone know how to take the front wheels off?

🙂

Admin
      Participant

I had a different problem that required front-end disassembly, too. Here’s the thread that helped me out.

Admin
      Participant

Thanks, the link doesn’t work though.

🙂

Admin
      Participant

Well to take the front wheels off, you start off by taking off the body. Then you have to take off the clear plastic peice. Then there is a small gold screw, take it off. Then pop open that black peice that was held on by the screw you just unscrewed. Then take off the bar that holds the magnet, but be gentle and careful. Then both wheels on each side just come right out of their holes. Putting it all back together is pretty tricky. You have to put the wheels back into their slots. Then drop the bar that holds the magnet and let the top of the wheel stand things get into the holes of the magnet bar. Then take the square plastic peice you took off and clamp it back down on top of the wheels. Screw the screw back in, put the plastic back on, clamp the body on and you’re ready to go. Dave

Admin
      Participant

Sorry guys… the re-jigging of the forums is playing a bit of havoc still smiley7.gif

This is the URL you’re after….

Cheers

Derek
      (Back home after a 4hrs driving to wish his mummy a happy Mother’s Day!)

Admin
      Participant

Hi Dereck,

Maybe third times a charm? Link didn’t work again.

Also just to clarify, i really want to know if you can take the wheel off the axle to more easily clear the built up hair from inbetween the wheel and axle.

🙂

Admin
      Participant

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – some days you just shouldn’t get outta bed :smiley2: There must be something screwy going on with the database at the moment….

Anyway, below is a copy/paste of the post in question, so you don’t have to wait any longer (or get further frustrated with dodgy links! :smiley5:

========

You asked for it – and you got it!After a number of posts (on here and the M3 board) about how the steering mechanism in a Bit Char-G works and potential problems/fixes, we decided to push forward the scheduled photo session of front end disassembly and the steering mechanism.

Ladies(?) and Gents – Here is a direct link to the photos that I’ve just uploaded. Yes – eventually these will become part of a detailed technical article – but for now you’ll just have to browse them in conjuction with the following brief notes:

Warning : DO NOT attempt this operation unless you have either:

VERY steady hands, a #0 Philips screwdriver, and a sharp eye to avoid damage

OR

A qood quality soldering iron to repair any damage

OR

Spare cash lying around to buy a new car!

Not trying to scare anyone off as this *IS* a simple procedure. You just need to be patient and careful if you want to get through it with your car functioning at the end 😉

===========================================

Pic#Description

========================================================

1Remove the main body of your car

2-4Slide off the clear receiver cover

5-6BE CAREFUL. Some of these wires are simply single

copper stands. They are VERY easy to break!

7-8Locate and remove the front end locking screw

9-10The wheel assemblies will fall out

11Here we can see the magnetic steering assembly in

the nude

12-13 The red coils are essentially tiny electro-magnets

that attract/repel the centre assembly to make the

wheels turn in and out. Clever, huh?

14-17 This is the bit that physically turns your wheels.

NOTE: If the steering trimming switch on the bottom

of the car no longer appears to work, you’ve

probably managed to dislodge the shiny element from

its holder. A tiny dab of PVA glue will fix that

once and for all!

18-24 Just play the tape backwards and your car is in one

piece again.

Have fun, kids 🙂

===========================================

mcojoc
      Participant

I’ve had hair caught in the wheel on the axle and was able to get it out without disassembling the car… First thing I found out is that out of the 2 cars I have running on my living room hardwood floor, that the one that I oiled (lightly mind you!) the front axles on, attracted more dirt and hair, so I don’t do that anymore. For the ones that did, I took a sharp exact-o knife and placed the blade between the tire and steering mount on the axle and started sawing away on the metal axle. This “CUT” the hair wrapped around the axle and allowed me to use a tweezer to pull it away without having to disassemble the car or even pull off the front axle and wheel… I’vehad no problems since I stopped oiling….

Admin
      Participant

There is no such thing as a light “oiling” with these cars… :smiley4:

The best approach, @ this stage, appears to get a tube of Ceramic Grease, apply reasonable amounts, play in/on a VERY clean enviroment for a charge, or two, then dissassemble the car and wipe all the grease, that is visible, away…

This will leave a tiny smear of the grease on the parts, and is MOREthan enough to keep the vehicle operating smoothly… For a while…

:smiley8:

mcojoc
      Participant

I agree with ISOROPIA. I used an HO ‘Pin’ fed oiler for this. It distributes a very, VERY small amount of oil and it STILL gunked up the works…. I won’t even use the grease. I guess I’m paranoid now…

Admin
      Participant

Thanks guys,

I reckon i’ll run it dry and use the hobby knife to clear the hair etc out.

Thanks again.

🙂

Admin
      Participant

YOU CAN TAKE THE WHEELS OFF THE AXLES!

I learned the hard way but here’s how you do it.

Disassemble entire front end like they’ve told you so far so you have the wheel, axle and steering knuckel all together. Now, take a block of good wood, 2X4 will work. Drill a 1/8″ hole in the wood (large enough for the axle to go through but small enough to hold the wheel on top of the wood). Take your wheel and put the outside of the wheel flat down on the wood and use a jewlers screwdriver and small hammerto hit the axle out from behind. The axle pops out and wheel comes off. Now you can go buy some hot wheels, take the wheels off, drill the axle hole out, face them to proper width and put them on your car! Check out the rims on my Digi-Q. I haven’t put anything good on my Bit Char-g yet but I had to take the wheel off for other technical difficulties. Trust me, this trick works great. Then to put them back on, you just use pliers and squeeze the axle back in the steering knuckle. Piece of cake!

http://www.geocities.com/pfabersac/digi2.jpg

-Peter

Admin
      Participant

Prabbit

Firstly – welcome to the forums. FANTASTIC first post, too!:smiley15:

Just a reminder that geocities doesn’t allow direct-linking to images hosted on its servers – you need to put up a Geocities-hosted .html page with a link in that.

Alternatively, feel free to email me the image and I’ll hang it off our image server for you.

Regards

Derek

Admin
      Participant

I read a Japanese site somewhere (with the help of Babelfish) where they replaced the pin with a screw so they could easily remove the front wheels.

mcojoc
      Participant

Those wheels are COOL…. Nice work Prabbit…

Now every 1/87 and 1/64 scale car I look at won’t be safe….

The above is me getting ideas….

Admin
      Participant

I never knew why my links didn’t work. How about this?

http://www.geocities.com/pfabersac/digi.html

http://www.geocities.com/pfabersac/digi2.html

Oh yeah, did I mention that I painted the flames and added the racing stripe?

-Peter

Admin
      Participant

Digi-q was quite a bit harder, they have a Hex shaped axle drive on each rear wheel since the steering is by different speeds on rear wheels. It is sure a LOT harder to steer then my Bit Char-g but it kicks butt on speed and acceleration! My bit with 3.0 and fast gears still has slower top speed than Digi-q.

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.