project gt40

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • Author
      betty.k
      Participant

i m gonna use the knowledge aquired while hotting up my xmod to make a track oriented one:smiley16: so far the plan is:

awd xmod chassis
      i waver pcb, xmod servo
      woah nelly 1.2
      stock p dash armiture in an atomic motors can
      alloy rear cups, main shaft holders and knuckles
      flipped wheels
      yeah racing bb s
      4 cells (don t start me!:evil:)
      i waver gt40 body

i had to cut the bonnet for internal clearance, took me an hour with my stone age tools. wish i waited now that i got a fancy tool!:D

i ve got the guts installed and kicking and some of the rear end is able to be assembled too. just waiting on a couple more deliveries, then all of melbourne will know and fear me:shock::8ball:

leonli17
      Participant

Can’t wait to race against this baby and most importantly, beat it!!!:evil:

bithed
      Participant

…seeing that makes me want to ut down the paint and putty and break out the soldering iron 🙂

betty lame question but HOW are you osting your pics? i cant post any images at all..only threads 🙁 it worked once but not now…what am i messing up?

MiniKing
      Participant

Looks good bettyk…….i really like the GT40 body….ive seen one go but it was just a stocker so id love to see your one fly….post up some vids when its done….

TallduDe
      Participant

looks very nice.

i like those shells but it does limit what you can do suspension wise in a Z.

do you have the same limitations with the X?

4wd is a very goood thing, cant wait to see vids of that thing hint hint hint LOL.

betty.k
      Participant

bithead, type img and put it in those square brackets[]. then type the url of the image. then type /img and put it in those square brackets[]. i hope that makes sense, if i type the image tags they won’t appear in a post as they’re code for the forum. head up to the faq, there’s all sorts of nonsense you can do to your posts. just ask roe:smiley2:

talldude, no suspension issues with xmod chassis that trouble z’s. there would have been at the front if i didn’t chop it though. but there’s plenty of room in the rear:8ball:

betty.k
      Participant

i decided to use the xmod body clip for mounting, i just made a spacer and screwed it to the body.:8ball:

z-beam
      Participant

that rear end shot is awesome betty! nice work…

i’ll be down melbourne way for a week (stating on the 6th dec), maybe i’ll get a chance to see this new racing machine…

dgs73
      Participant

yeah, I agree. Looks phat as… how long the body mod take you all up?

betty.k
      Participant

body took about an hour and a half by hand, still got to fine tune the front once the steering is in:8ball:

dgs73
      Participant

oh, ok… just doing some homework before i take on the next big task…

chino
      Participant

i wannah fordGT body… that thing looks great hope to see vids of it soon.

do u really need tha super thick wire? i used 16 gauge silicone flex then went down to a 20 gauge and didnt notice tha difference at all. if u went to a smaller gauge it would be alot cleaner and lighter from wut i noticed.

Edited by – chino on 17 November 2004 16:34:38

betty.k
      Participant

probably don’t need the fat wire but i like it. and it all fits in no worries.

the problem i’m having now is the p dash draws current away from the steering, so it won’t turn under throttle. i think it’s the i waver pcb as i had this problem with my i waver and a nelly. i’ll probably have to go for a mid 30’s motor like the s03/4:8ball:

chino
      Participant

wut motor are u usuing in ur servo? i found that ZZmotor and clone bcg(shen qi wei) motors work alot better since they are the coreless type and provide more torque. unlike bcg motors that are normal 3 pole motors.

betty.k
      Participant

i’m just using the stock motor. i’ll take your advice and swap it out for a clone one:8ball:

leonli17
      Participant

Looks like we better not forget about 1/64scales, they help sometimes.

MiniKing
      Participant

Yeah man the GT40 body looks really good i might have to get one for my Z…….Hey LeonLi17 check your PMs dude…………:D:D:D

betty.k
      Participant

i got the body on and i gotta say it looks nice. i didn’t have to do any shaving on the front wells, there’s plenty of room for steering.:8ball:

z-beam
      Participant

lookin sweet betty! you going to do anything else to it?

betty.k
      Participant

i’m trying out some custom decals at the moment. i love the rock ‘n roll looks of this body so i’m keeping the paintwork as is. i’m making lotsa skulls, flames, ratfinks, y’know hot rod theme. maybe some clear to protect the decals.

then i’m going to screw it up slowly by driving like i normally do:D:8ball:

z-beam
      Participant

flamin’ ratfink skeletons! thats the way!

have you thought about putting mess in the front holes you cut? i think that could look great if you got the mesh’s weave the rite direction…

betty.k
      Participant

yeah i probably will. but i don’t mind the peek a boo look either:smiley2::8ball:

z-beam
      Participant

yeah betty fill it with mess!:shock:

mesh i meant, dont whatever you do fill the holes with jizz.

are the vents on the side functional or filled up?

betty.k
      Participant

all the vents were filled. those side vents would be perfect with a rear mounted motor but as the xmod motor sits in the middle vents up front are the most functional position. and i love ventilating my cars:D:8ball:

betty.k
      Participant

i finally got this sucker on a track and the results are exellent! it slid around at first so i changed tyres and it hung on beautifully. the power transfer is phenomenal, it went uphill almost as fast as downhill!:p nothing impressive on the speedo, 34kph but it’s all transfered to the wheels on the ground. i didn’t like the atomic can so i got another s03 into it and used the 11t gearset. i could even go higher, there’s still torque to spare!

of course i tested to destruction! by the end of the night there was an obvious meshing issue after a hard knock and after taking it apart i found a broken motor mount. i got spares so it’s up and running again with some minor reinforcing (2 washers).

so compared to my old i waver z 01 the xmod is a total winner on all counts.

speed/torque: just as good as as the ol iw

handling: superb! goes exactly where you point it and holds on tight

durability: this thing is like an armoured pitbull! i sliced through z beams mr01 with barely a scratch! (sorry dude!:dead:) i’d be confident to race this on a track full of z destroying 1:10’s!

weight: the hopped up 01 weighed in at 220g with batts and body. the gt40 x waver? 197g.

so i finally got a 1:28 racer that’s tough enough for me and that can cut it with the big boys!:8ball:

z-beam
      Participant

sure is tough! thanks to my “twilight stealth” paintjob on the wrx (tamiya undercoat) betty ran streight up the back end of it at full tilt sending the rex flying. it wouldnt have been so bad except the rex was sittin dead still on the finnish line while i was fiddling with a ciggy…

one front knucle and a bodyclip got done in! easy fixed/replaced…

betties x-waver can definatly hold its own, and speed wise was quite impressive. 4wd is a great change to 2wd on the track, the added traction sure does make a difference.

and finally, templestowe is an awesome track. if your ever in melbourne and want to test out your r/c’s give it a go! having a super fast z didnt seem anywhere near as good untill seeing it work wonders on a track of this size and quality…

chino
      Participant

wut tires did u cange into betty?

betty.k
      Participant

i had the stock tyres on but they were a bit too soft so i put the hard ones from the upgrade set on. i find harder tyres grip better on tarmac and last longer:8ball:

chino
      Participant

hell yeah, xmod hard tires are tha bomb

peteWah
      Participant

What are the 2 big holes for in the front end ?

betty.k
      Participant

i had to cut the fake vents out because they went too far in and would have hit the front suspension. they also allow air to flow through to the motor. form and function:8ball:

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.