Pullback tyre modification

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • Author
      Super Max Power
      Participant

Hi all,
      I am about to put some wheels from a pullback onto my BGC.
      Has anybody had any experience with this?
      What should I look out for, and what problems have you had?
      I had read the info on the BitPimps site, but any ground truth would be great.
      Thanks.

ph2t
      Participant

A few thoughts:

Don’t bend the @#$%^ pins!!

Make sure the rear wheels are centred when re-doing the axle hole or it’s game over from too much wobbling.

Make sure you balance the width of the rear wheels so they don’t look lop-sided!

Otherwise, goodluck!

ph2t.

micro_Amps
      Participant

And be careful not to bend the rear axel, they bend easier than you think and are difficult to straighten.
      I think QFM has a tute on this, when you trim the rear wheels, use the extra bits on the front wheels to space them out from the knuckles.

I just tried to link to the QFM site, have they shutdown??

:)uA

Impreza
      Participant

lol ph2t speaking from experience me thinks. The wheels will stick out a bit due to the gear on the left side of the car. So don’t cut the @#$%^ hub of the right rear wheel too short.

Personally I think the wheels stick out too much, but I guess it all depends on which body you put on top of it.

One more thing carefull not to push the axel (metal) right thru the wheel (plastic) when you are putting the wheel back on.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

This mod is really only for looks, the tomy red tyres have 10x more traction than pullback tyres.

TallduDe
      Participant

yeah the rear wheels look good, but if you use the standard orange gears and with the added weight it is actually slower then using the faster gears and the tomy pink soft tyres.

Super Max Power
      Participant

Are the pull back wheels any wider than the stock ones? They look a lot wider.

TallduDe
      Participant

yeah they are wider almost twice the width of the stock wheels.

because of this it gives them more stablity around corners, dosent cause that many flip overs.

Impreza
      Participant

wider and smaller.

Impreza
      Participant

TallduDe you beat me to the post again. I even kept that one short and to the point:)

TallduDe
      Participant

hahahahahhhahahahahaha

:p

what can i say i got a gift, just kidding :smiley2:

Super Max Power
      Participant

I found that after a while the stock tyres got hard and split. I don’t mind because they are cheap to replace. Has anyone had this problem with the pullback tyres? They will be a bit harder to find new ones – I would have to buy a whole pullback again.

Impreza
      Participant

No I haven’t had any problem with the tyres. But I do have a few and seldom use the pullback itself. I mainly bought them for the bodies.

Edited by – Impreza on 24 October 2003 16:53:27

matic
      Participant

Here is some info about pullback tires :
      measurments
      front 5×12 mm (stock 4×12)
      rear 6×12 mm (stock 4×14)
      with tires on

Because pullback rear being smaller than the stock ones, you automatically gain higher gear ratio, so the car is slower than with stock wheels.
      here are the “real” gear ratios for pullback wheels
      -from 1 : 12 you get 1:14
      -from 1 : 9.86 you get 1:11.5
      -from 1 : 8.25 you get 1: 9.62

As you can see the green(fastest) gears on pullback wheels are very little faster than orange gears with stock tires.

I think that sponge rubber should be the best for tyres. You know that black rubber which is used for cheap mousepads. Similar rubber can be bought in some stores and I`m planning to do something with that. I must just think of the right tool for making tires …. Diameter 14 of course ….

leonli17
      Participant

GOod suggestion matic about the sponge rubber.
      These will be good for tyres. They are just like the sponge tires used on Tamiya Mini 4WD Racers.
      They also as a shock absorber. Just have to find the size that fits BCGs.

Admin
      Participant

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to remove the pin from the front wheel of a BCG, as I’m half way thru the same mod.

matic
      Participant

Leonli17, let me know if you find the right size tires. I have an old Tyco mini slot car which has cool sponge tires but diameter is only 10mm… Maybe slot cars are the answer …..
      About removing front pin:
      Take a surface with the 3-5 mm hole. place the wheel side on it so the head of the pin is above the hole then use a small pin or nail (diameter LESS then 1.2mm) and small hammer to punch axle out.
      Or you can sink the knuckle in the boiling water then pull out the axle with pillers.

micro_Amps
      Participant

I have used 2 pairs of needle nose pliers.
      Or if you turn it over and hold it (like in a small vice), you can tap the pin out from the knuckle side.
      Goodluck

Super Max Power
      Participant

I am intersted to see if anybody finds some sponge rubber that fits as treads.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Yes me too on this one. If anyone has had success finding something suitable please post it here.
      The sponge will be the best tyre for these cars (just like the larger cars)but I dont know of anything that will fit….yet.

VooDooMafia
      Participant

nothing yet but the pullbacks and alloys provide the best traction that I have noticed. I also find it easyer to mount the Super pullback tires as opposed to the regular gen 1 pullbacks

Super Max Power
      Participant

OK, how have people got around the fact that the pullback rims (rear) have a bigger hole than the axle from the BCG?

Has anyone filled it with glue and prayed they weren’t wonky, or is there another method?

twizm
      Participant

im thinking of this mod on one of my spare chassis. i dont see how it changes the gear ratio at all, after all you are changing wheel size, not the size of the gear on the axle. saying that, it probably doesnt change the ratio, the fact that the tyres are smaller means lower top speed or something.

betty.k
      Participant

super max; i’ve never tried this but i’ve got an idea. put a little glue on the axle where the wheel will sit and hold it vertically till the glue dries. this should fatten the axle for a snug fit. then glue the wheel on. as i said i’ve never tried it before, but that’s what i would do if i was:8ball:

Super Max Power
      Participant

Yeah right. Do you mean use a small amount of glue on the axle and the surface tension should make the glue have even thickness?
      I will try it. If it doesn’t work it should be easy to clean up and start again.
      Thanks BK

betty.k
      Participant

yep, that’s exactly what i meant. lemme know how it goes:8ball:

Super Max Power
      Participant

didn’t work so good – any other ideas?

Admin
      Participant
      Admin
      Participant

whoever says this mod doesnt ad any performance is obviously an idiot.

http://hogjowlz.lixlink.com/thud.wmv

Edited by – hogjowlz on 13 December 2003 09:10:04

z-beam
      Participant

as for the pullback wheels, i did it once and it looks nice but the turning cicle got so crap. no good for track work. maybe i did it to tight…..

and the foamys… pengrips…. cut to size they work awesome on some surfaces but when multiple foam equiped cars colide the tires tend to lose their orientation. i have access to a wide range if anyone cant find them. PM me if interested. with out a shell the rounded balloon ones work well..

twizm
      Participant

i got mine PERFECT on the knuckles and rear axle, problem is, i trimmed the axle 0.01mm too much! *dies*

an easy way to get the rear wheels centred on the axle is in a vice grip, dont use too much pressure though.

z-beam
      Participant

the pull back wheels are to damn wide, and really more drag=less speed.

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.