question on range…

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

I have 2 OEM regular bit charGs – one 45Mhz and one 27Mhz. Both running 2.2 motors. From what I see from inside, they dont have the cripple capacitor but one has a lot more in range. ANy idea why that is? The gears are different and thats about it really.

Admin
      Participant

frequency is the answer… A 45 Mhz signal is nearly half the size of the 27 Mhz signal so the grossly undersized and terribly inefficient antenna on the 45 Mhz car does a little bit better job of grabbing the signal. To put it in perspective…. a 27 Mhzwavelength is about 32 feet peak to peak. To get a good signal you want a full wave,3/4, 1/2, or 1/4 of the total wavelength. The old 8cm antenna on the the car is doing the best it can do. it should really be at least 8 feet long.

Hope this helps

Tai

Admin
      Participant

So as a rule of thumb, the higher the frequency, the better the range?

Admin
      Participant

Theoretically:smiley1:

As long as the transmission power is the same (the transmitter may have a higher output at lower freq)

Admin
      Participant

i find my 57mhz rx7 gets about 8 metres, which is not bad.

i also have 35mhzand 45mhz boosters, and they both only reach 3-4m!!!

gave them all nice long new cat5 antennas, and it didnt make any noticeable difference. i also put a longer wind-up wire on the booster controller, but that did not change things either.

the next step is to find a telescopic antenna that will fit nicely in the controller! (been looking but have not found anything yet)

Admin
      Participant

I wouldn’t mind trying to boost the trasmission power rather than working on the reception. Maybe someone could look how wind up the wick on the pissy transmitter.

Tai

Admin
      Participant

yeah my friend suggested that I stick 4 x AA batteries on the controller with a potentiometer across the added 2 batteries to tweak the voltage input to see if the range can be hiked up. As it is, my OEM controller has a much bigger range as standard than the 4 channel booster controller….gutted that is the case, but I’m using it mush more because of it.

But I will try getting a long extending antenna first to see if that improves things.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.