Question About Mini-Z AWD w/ LiIon

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

Hi,

I was wondering if I could get some help with my mini-z awd. I have completed the Lithium Ion conversion (2s2p) configuration. The motor I am trying to run is the PN racing Xeric AWD motor. Now, I had an Atomicmods V2 board installed and it seemed to get hot rather quick. Also it is rather large and is difficult to fit under by Subaru body.

I was think of trying either the V4 Spider or the Bug. Which one do you think would be better for my application and will not get hot like the V2 board.

Thanks in advance

betty.k
      Participant

hi man, welcome to the joint!

my guess is the lithium cells are the reason the v2 board gets hot, they have a lotta voltage and deliver a lotta current.

i’m not sure if the spider or bug would be suitable at that voltage and there are some issues at the moment with the ausmicro shop so i’d just forget the whole idea for now. :8ball:

Admin
      Participant

Hi betty.k thanks so much for writing back!

I understand that lithium ion cells have higher voltage that is why I have them configured two in series and two in parrallel so the finial voltage is:

3.7 + 3.7 = 7.4v

so the voltage should not be a problem, right?

Also, please tell me what’s going on with the ausmmicro shop? Are they not accepting orders for anything at this time?

Thanks!

Admin
      Participant

Well I sorry to say the heat problem on the V2.2 is from your Lithium Ion
      batteries because of the AMPs that can push to the motor. You will have the same heat problem on the V4 Spider or the Bug. You are not going to get away form the heat problem. The thing I done in the pass is cut out the side windows of the chassis to let more air to cool down things. I reading about the V4.0 or bug they can take up to 12 volts but the other things like steering motor will not.

Regards,

betty.k
      Participant

yeah, what he said;)

miniz’s are designed to run on 4.8 – 6V so any more will cause things to warm up.

one solution is to wire the cells directly to the turbo then run a 5V regulator between the cells and the main pcb. :8ball:

Admin
      Participant

Thanks so much for you responses guys!

First off, please tell me why if the voltage is too high when everything runs cool when I am not using a “hot” motor. aka Kyosho X-speed?

Also, please tell me what is up with the Ausi shop right now?

betty.k
      Participant

you’re dealing with multiple factors, when you up the voltage you push the electronics harder then adding a hot motor pushes it even further. hence the heat.

no one knows what’s happening with the ausmicro shop other than orders placed aren’t being carried out. :8ball:

Admin
      Participant

Betty.K,

Please tell me more about your 5voltage regulator idea. I don’t think I fully understand the need for it/ the problem it will solve.

Is the regulator to protect the servo from the high voltage of the lithiums? This would not solve me heat problem of the V2 would it?

betty.k
      Participant

@gertman 230038 wrote:

Is the regulator to protect the servo from the high voltage of the lithiums?

correct

This would not solve me heat problem of the V2 would it?

correct again, i guess it wasn’t such a good idea after all! doh! :8ball:

Admin
      Participant

betty.k,

I really should have reviewed all the specs on the V2 better. It already has a built in voltage regulator of 6V. Anway, I think I am going to stick with it AND add one of these: in the rear window http://www.buyextras.com/su30dc5vmale.html

I have a Subaru WRX STI body and have already made the hood scoop functional……just like G-D intended!!!

Maybe in a few weeks I’ll have everything done and give you an update.

blurrc
      Participant

Hey I thought I better just post the question here instead of making a new thread.
      Just wanted to know what the cheapest place to buy mini z awd ready set or parts is?
      Thanks. Blur.

betty.k
      Participant

right now, my first choice would be buy stuff from renton. he’s got some tasty parts for sale and i guarantee they’d be cheaper than new:
      http://www.ausmicro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17141

as for comercial shops you can look at rcmart/dinball:
      http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/default.php

and toyeast has a limited selection too:
      http://www.toyeast.com/v3/ncatlvl1list.asp?cid=1

there’s also atomicmods (i don’t have a link, use the googles;) ) :8ball:

kevsta
      Participant

Also, check out shops from Japan – RC Champ
      http://www.rc-champ.co.jp/Champ_International/International_index.htm

Shops from Hong Kong – Egr Mart
      http://www.egrracing.com/shop/rc-car-kit-miniz-c-275_276.html

Ebay seller – Hobby Japan
      http://stores.shop.ebay.com.au/Hobby-Japan__W0QQ_armrsZ1

I’ve purchased mini-z from all of these sellers back when the value of the dollar was respectable.

blurrc
      Participant

wow thanks for the info.

I already new about atomic mods and it looks like it is the one of best places to buy them so ill probaly just stick with them when I have the dough to get one.

This is a bit off topic but just for interest sake is it possible to drift 2WD rc’s? Also can you buy petrol powered drift rc’s or is that a bit uncommon?

Anyways Thanks. Blur.

betty.k
      Participant

@blurrc 230103 wrote:

is it possible to drift 2WD rc’s?

yes, but not easily. in fact it’s bloody hard!

Also can you buy petrol powered drift rc’s or is that a bit uncommon?

fairly uncommon for petrol drifters, petrol engines tend to be used on larger scale rc’s like 1:5 scale. but there are a few nitro drifters around. (nitro = nitro methane, 2 stroke engines) :8ball:

blurrc
      Participant

Thanks betty.
      I love the sound of a nitro race rc. When I was in germany at the hockemheim ring race track they had a rc track that you could use for free and there was a guy driving a home built nitro and boy did it fly 🙂

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.