question for Monster owners…

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      dgs73
      Participant

ok, how to put this without sounding like a newb… i d like to know if anyone else has had this issue… upon installing afew aluminium parts the other week (damper stays, knuckles, wheels) discovered that i can NOT get the meshing right in any pinion/spacer setup. Everything was running sweet before putting everything in, and had only pulled the motor out to replace with an Xspeed. Have checked the diff shaft (not bent), bearings (cleaned em just in case one or two had seized up), meshing in the gearbox is fine. It has has been pulled apart,cleaned and rebuilt. Now ,(finally, you all say!!!) has anyone else had this issue (not you, TD…), and further, how did you go about fixing it? Any help will be greatly appreciated… I really do want to get this thing running again, but it s been in the “too hard” basket for a while now…

mini-g
      Participant

man you still having issues with that?????

thought you must have fixed it, try putting all the stock parts back in just to see what happens(if the problem goes away). might be over tonight dude with the iron so will have another look at it if you want.

BIG DAVE

dgs73
      Participant

tried that dood… no luck. Soldering iron? Yippee!!

TallduDe
      Participant

i know i told you this but the only way i got rid of my monster problems was to sell it 🙁

i miss it though wish it wasnt so weak!

ken_wyleung
      Participant
      Quote:
      ok, how to put this without sounding like a newb… i’d like to know if anyone else has had this issue… upon installing afew aluminium parts the other week (damper stays, knuckles, wheels) discovered that i can NOT get the meshing right in any pinion/spacer setup. Everything was running sweet before putting everything in, and had only pulled the motor out to replace with an Xspeed. Have checked the diff shaft (not bent), bearings (cleaned em just in case one or two had seized up), meshing in the gearbox is fine. It has has been pulled apart,cleaned and rebuilt. Now ,(finally, you all say!!!) has anyone else had this issue (not you, TD…), and further, how did you go about fixing it? Any help will be greatly appreciated… I really do want to get this thing running again, but it’s been in the “too hard” basket for a while now…

Kyosho Ally parts or GPM Ally parts?
      Kyosho must fit, if no, read the manual. (good QC)
      GPM sometime may be fit, if no, change it. (no QC)
      Good Luck in GPM:question:

snailpace
      Participant

When you mention that you put an X-Speed Motor, do you mean iWaver’s cheapy or the real mecoy Kyosho X-Speed? I had a similar problem, well with the iWaver x-speed pro motor. Extremely tight fitting where you need quite a bit of force to fit the motor cover on (whether stock plastic or aftermarker aluminium). This is with whatever pinion/spacer combo i found. When i managed to get the motor cover back on the gear meshing appeared way too tight and noisy upon running.

With the Kyosho x-speed it fits like a glove and runs smooth as. Hope this info helps.

snailpace
      Participant

To add to that, i think the iWaver x-speed pro motor is slightly thicker by 0.5mm than stock which makes it very tight to fit.

snailpace
      Participant

With my Kyosho MT fully decked out with all the aluminium upgrades possible, i’m running a 3Racing BB motor (with 5×2 7317 FETs), fits perfectly and running sweet with lots of low down torque for wheel spin, donuts and wheelies. Perhaps can try Aaron’s upcoming PN motors, sure looks tasty:)

dgs73
      Participant

no fets in the Monster, so that’s out. ok, knuckles and damper stays are gpm alum., the wheels are real Kyosho, as is the xspeed. I’ve had this thing for about 1 1/2 years, this is the first issue of this type i’ve had. Tried everything, still at a loss. Odd thing was everything meshed sweet till i removed the stock donk. It’s easy enough to get the motor clip on (and i double check spacers are right as a habit anyway), but really seems to be struggling to get power. And yes, fresh batts. 800mah Sanyos

snailpace
      Participant

Have you checked inside the gearbox to see if there is any gunk or perhaps some plastic offcut that may have fallen in the path where the motor is suppose to fit in?

Could also be the gear on your diff or pinion on the motor stripped.

I assume and as you have mentioned that the shaft etc are fine. As a last resort, at minimal cost you can get the replacement gearbox set Part #MM07 which also includes the cover, motor clip and spacers.

I got mine from TE for USD$3.70, here’s the link:

http://www.toyeast.com/v2/proddetail2.asp?pdtid=amm07

It’ll be new again, less headache too, i’m confident this will solve your problem assuming your gears aren’t stripped.

dgs73
      Participant

all gears are sweet (suprising, as i’ll drive it anywhere there’s no water…), no stripping, all teeth on pinion, spur and other gears were cleaned/checked thoroughly, with no issues. Am going to srip it right back again tonight, will post up how i go tomorrow. Ta for the help too, am thinking a new gearbox set is on the way…

dgs73
      Participant

ok, after a rebuild, i’m at a loss. No change. Hopefully this gearbox replacement will see me terrorizing the dog and backyard again

TallduDe
      Participant

i dunno man i bought a new gear box and it still had issues…….

dgs73
      Participant

hmmm. might have tobreak out the Dremel and have a prod this weekend. It shall live again!!:p

Dracer07
      Participant

When you try to pop a wheelie do the gears slip and just click and not mesh. If so i had the same prob. Check and see if your spacer is in. Mine fell out while i was changing motors and i thought it was messed up. Ya the lil black thing that goes into the motor heatsink wasnt there. Go see if ure missing it.

dgs73
      Participant

mate that’s in place… i’m at a loss, but not giving in just yet… all seems better now, if not a little tight…

TallduDe
      Participant

ahwell man these things happen, just use the mini T as your off roader those things can take a beating!

plus i think you can race those at club levels correct me if im wrong here?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.