Question for the techies

Home Forums General Chat Question for the techies

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      merc-blue
      Participant

hey i got a old AT PSU and it needs modding so i can run my charger from it basicaly there is a lead that needs to be put to sumthing all the molex have been takes out und just the 12V and ground are in place.. there is a motherboard signal wire that needs to be modded….. any one got any help full links or such?

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

merc whats “molex”

micro_Amps
      Participant

The motherboard wire will probably have to be tied ‘low’ to 0 volts, or to a 5v ‘high’.
      Ph2t will proably know, or else I am sure there is a comp tech somewhere on these forums.
      :)uA

Jamie, “molex” connectors are those white nylon connectors you see everywhere in computers and auto wiring looms.

Edited by – micro_Amps on 22 August 2004 22:57:33

PandaBear
      Participant

Honestly, unless you’re a qualified Power Electrical Engineer & a paid-up member of the IEEE, I’d avoid any mucking about with PC PSUs.

Especially if you value your charger… and Life. blackeye:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I’ve got a tv to fix, and just worry that the capacitor might still be charged…

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh microamps i fiquered that i just wonder which one .. il try low because less likely to kill i then a higher V.. panda its not that hard.. any all you do in take out the molex cables and replace them with he leads that you are going to run

trash
      Participant

The circuit protection circuit sounds like what your trying to stuff around with. Switch modes require a load to work properly. Computer PSU’s really aren’t the thing to be using when you have such small loads like charging batteries.
      (unless of course you have a rather huge bank of them).

There are lots of better options out there.

PandaBear
      Participant

Old “AT” PSUs usually don’t need anything to trigger them ‘on’, but they might need some load balancing across the various taps. Usually done (quik-n-dirty method) by whacking on a bank of ceramics which dissipate 100-odd watts or so.

But the main problem is voltage… most of them supply only about 11.5V under load. Chargers like a clean 12V+, preferably 13.8V.

Quote:
      I’ve got a tv to fix, and just worry that the capacitor might still be charged…

Heh… leave them off for 30mins and all the caps should be pretty drained, even the flyback ones.

Unless its a simple job like dry joints or an dessicated capacitors, old TVs are hard to fix. Can’t get parts, can’t get schematics…:evil:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

it’s an intermittant proble wills, so i’m gonna resolder everything, and check for any obvios problems….

merc-blue
      Participant

hmm yeh its just i dont wanna pay 100 bux for a 6 amp PSU and even more for anything better ..

Keymaster

Merc, price up a real basic transofrmer from tricky dickies/jaycar and then get a big diode bridge and a couple of caps and knock one up yourself. Becuase you’re only using it to runn a charger you may find that it’s mucho cheaper.

Other option: 8A car battery charger, usually puts out enough voltage and current to act as a cheapo supply.

Both these presume you don’t want some mega clean nice stable 12v but rather something slightly over 12v (13.8ish) and with the kick of a mule.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

trash
      Participant

Yep, that’s what I was building up too.
      Work out how much current you need. If it’s only milliamps, then just use one of those plugpack thingies. If you need about 1 amp, then a cheapy transformer and bridge rectifier, a handful of caps and a 7812.

If you want a few more herbs, then a slightly bigger transformer and a transistor in a common base arangement for your regulator and the 7812 as the voltage reference.

How many amps do you need ?

I prefer the older TV’s. I think they’re much easier to fix than the new ones. But in most cases they have common PSU capacitor problems, De-gausing thermistor failure, or flyback transistor.

It’s amazing how many TV’s I’ve found on cleanup days that just have a busted thermistor.
      I only look for the big screen tv’s these days.
      You can’t give the others away even if they’re working.

On a side note I used to fix microwave ovens as a kid, made a lot of money out of them. Again, these days I’m lucky to get $20 for a working one in good condition. I get more value out of entertainment in blowing them up. 🙂

Recently I needed a dryer, and the cleanup day provided me with 5 of them, after I discovered how simple they were inside.

Our old washing machine broke down… didn’t take long to learn what makes them tick either.
      Water and electricity need a little bit of special attention.

But then again, microwaves and TV’s can bite those stupid enough to venture inside even when the power is turned off 🙂

merc-blue
      Participant

i need 6 amps.. which makes it hard

trash
      Participant

… and you said this was for charging batteries ??

merc-blue
      Participant

yeh for charging 1:10 packs which get charger at 3-4 amps.. and to play it safe i want a 6 amp PSU

trash
      Participant

Can you explain a 1:10 pack a little for me ?
      It just sounds like a hell of a lot of power to be charging anything with. Other than a big capacitor. 🙂

merc-blue
      Participant

battery packs for 1:10 racing. there 7.4V 3300 mAh nad there designed to be charged at about 3 amps

trash
      Participant

You mean fast charged at 3 amps ? what about slow charging ? They sound like NiCd’s ?

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.