Question on TX/RX range from an email

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

Firstly, I’d just like to urge anyone with a technical question to PLEASE post it in the forums. Unfortunately,Aaron and Ihave toparticipate in a*real* jobs during the day (hey – it pays the bills) andwe’re not always able to view – let alone reply to – personal emails during work hours.

Most critically, we *are not* experts in micro RC. But collectively – you, me and the rest of the ausmicro community are an expert forum with a formidable depth of knowledge and individual talents. Asking a questionin these forums allows EVERYONE to offer a suggestions (good, bad or indifferent) and allows EVERYONEan opportunity to learn amd enhance their hobbyist skills.

Anyway…. enough of my mindless ramblings…. here is a question that came in via email earlier today:

To: support@ausmicro.com
      Sent:Wed 1/05/2002 1:08 PM
      Subject:bit question

i have the wrx bit charg and the range is horrible. i have read reviews of people using these to terrorize pets and things up to 12 ft away. I can’t even terrorize past my feet. it goes about 2 ft before it stutters and about 5 ft it stops and won’t respond. how are u supposed to table top race? follow it around the table? if the antenna doesn’t have almost direct contact then the car stutters, but if the car is right by the antenna it runs fine. i don’t mean to bitch, but my back is starting to hurt from bending over to get the car to run. i see less problem at a distance of an arms length when i push the motor tighter to the electical contact on the car. but the metal clasp doesn’t create that much force. i am using a 3.0 motor and everything else is stock. it’s 45mhz and i have tried the 1.0 motor it came with as well and it doe! s the same thing.

hopefully i did something wrong and it can be fixed, but it has not been used long enough to break and nothing broke putting it together. i just took it out of the box 2 days ago.[/quote]

I’m assuming that the environment that you’re using it in is relatively “clean” in terms of radio frequency interference (RFI). I’m also assuming that you have fresh batteriesin the transmitter and the car is fully charged. Finally, I’m assumingthat you’re not 14′ tall and, by virtue of your height, you’re not already pushing the system to the limit.

Thus, my first impression is that it could be a dodgy car or transmitter unit. Do you have any friends/colleagues with a car on the same frequency as your own? You could try testing their controller with your car.

Anyone else got other ideas??

Cheers

Derek

Admin
      Participant

Sounds like it needs the standard filter pot adjustment. Try looking at step 7 in this link http://www.thebeeris.mine.nu/bitcharg/ It’s also a good source for other things.

Going a little with Derek’s idea…how much range do you get with the steering? Try flipping the car over so you can see the wheels move and try turning the wheelsfrom far away and get closer to the car until the wheels turn. This will only troubleshoot whether it is a reception or motor problem.

Last thought – try bending the metal tab on the motor. It doesn’t take much of a bend to increase the contact and you’ll need a sharp knife to get under the tab. Oh, and be VERY careful. I slipped once doing this and luckily didn’t slice my hand open. I figured this one out when my booster car didn’t go forward or reverse AT ALL!

Admin
      Participant

i am 5’10” and i have checked the wheels and they do turn and the response is immediate for turning and for forward and reverse, however that is when the car is right by the controller. I do not know anyone who has a bit charg in this area at all except me. I just don’t have the funds to buy another right now and see how they should work and what is not right with mine. I have no standard to base mine’s performance on. I did try the tab bending and have not gotten something flat enough to get under that thing. I will try that again though. i will look at the filter pot adjustment step now and see about that.

ryan

Admin
      Participant

Is there a possibility that it could be the Cars antenna is not soldered down correctly?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.