R/C Tamiya Mini 4WD Racers

Home Forums General Chat R/C Tamiya Mini 4WD Racers

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      leonli17
      Participant

I am probebly a bit late for this. But it’s just the news for me. THe new era(not really, just add a controller and reciever) of the Tamiya Mini 4WD racers has come.
      THey are now like slot cars and can control the speed by a Remote COntroller.
      I’m excited because I had been played with Gen I Mini 4WD since Grade 2. And then i stopped when i came to Australia. GOt carried away abit.
      Here is the link: http://www.tamiya.com/english/rcmn4wd/parts/parts.htm

The parts hasn’t been changed that much except better(way better) looking wheels and shells. And different chassis and Front and rear FRP sets.

And the downside is that there is no Mini 4WD Races in Australia.
      Maybe any of u guys know any races on those things?

I don’t think i can go to sleep tonight.

Pork_Hunt
      Participant

I just got home from work (night fill, Big W) and I saw Tamiya Mini 4WD’s for sale, couldn’t have too close a look at them tho.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Interesting, no steering though. They seem kind of like larger versions of bit racers being track runners, but with an rc on/off.
      I’ve been using a mini 4wd speed checker, and didnt even know about the mini 4wd cars.
      :)uA

Edited by – micro_Amps on 28 October 2003 09:05:23

VooDooMafia
      Participant

I remember when I was a kid they had those cars like that called “record Breakers” and you could change all the parts and whatnot. You then could get track for them to race on. Will have to see if they are still in the parents basement 😀

leonli17
      Participant

THese ones are RC proportional Speed Control so ur car won’t fly out of the track on tight turning as ofter with out roller mods.

micro_Amps
      Participant

Ahhhh, cool.
      Like you said LeonLi17, rc slot cars.
      What kind of top speed do these things get up to?
      P.S. I put a friends slot car on the speed checker (with a short piece of track to keep the power on) and it ran at 43kmh.

Edited by – micro_Amps on 28 October 2003 10:00:59

bithed
      Participant

No mystery about these ones fellas and I am SURE this is old news for most of you…The scale of the Tamya Mini 4WD series (we call them ‘mini yonku’ in Japan 🙂 and their more recent cousins the RC Mini 4WD are at an incredibly close scale to those of the Mini-Z…

Quick hint 🙂 Mini Yonku FOAM tires ROCK on a mini z…stick like dog poo to your shoe…spoilers, rollers etc and lots of other little bits fit too…But i DO recommend the foamies for your Z…

To quote my good friend disney…(sing it…)

‘Its a WHOLE NEW WORLD !!’

leonli17
      Participant

I think they are the same scale aren’t they? Both 1/32.

SO does anyone have any info on Mini 4WD Races in AUs?

And uA: These cars do go really fast on track with a good motor.

Racer9
      Participant

It is not propo.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Leonli, the mini Z are 1/28, a bit bigger than the 1/32 M4wd, these things are aaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnncccccccccciiiiiiiieeeeeeeennnnnnnnnttttttttt, been around since i was a lil tacker.

The motors available for these are great, they run on 2 cells, so chuch ’em in a 4 ceell mini Z with a mosfet mod and you have a ripper of a mini Z!!. i.e. Tamiya Mini 4WD plasma dash sees 58km/h on a grossly overweight 200 gram mini Z.

If you scaled up a mini Z to 1:1, it would weigh around 4 1/2 tonnes!!!

bithed
      Participant

…Jamie VERY true…the mini yonku hail from way back…RE: scale the R/C mini yonku are scaled slightly bigger than their ‘turn on and let run till they fall down dead’ conterparts…Bodies include your usual suspects of gtr, subaru and evo 🙂

…Jamie you and I DO need to speak about your experiments with motors etc, I will be in touch 🙂

…Racer9 they were never designed to be full propo and they dont need to be…It is not a design oversight nor a desirable option…

…The controller is merely for speed…The cars themselves run
      around an oval or 8-track…best modified car wins either by lap counts or a nose in front…Tamiya uses this whole series as a warm up for the kids before they get into 1/10 and it gives the dads, (usually dads but mums too 🙂 to be with the kids while dad fiddles with his 1/10…

…Microamps…not a slot car as you might think with the pin and tabs on the bottom but think more of a BB in a straw…Courses are usually oval or figure 8 but Tamiya pulls out some crazy ones at the shows…You get the occasional one jumoing out of a corner but pretty much they just run where the track goes 🙂

micro_Amps
      Participant

I had a play with one of these today (thanks LeonLi17), very interesting little things.
      They scream. lol. Kinda funny, they maybe ancient but they slipped under my radar, never heard of them before.

leonli17
      Participant

Bithed: The cars don’t follow the track that good if u don’t modify them properly. With an Ultra Dash, with a car unmodified chassis and without the Remote Control to control the speed into the corners. The car will fly out of the track for sure. So the RC will make the laps faster because u don’t have to put higher rollers on the car to stabalise it and that reduce the weight of the car. And do u know when did the RC Mini 4WD came out?

Jamie: The Plasma Dash is not a top speed motor campare to other motors from Tamiya 4WDs. It’s more like an endurance motor( it’s easy to notice the different design of the motor cap).

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

The regular Mini 4x4s are ancient, but the R/C versions are only about a year old.

Totally useless though, as compared to proper slot cars. I wonder why Tamiya bothered. They should go back to making slot cars or go back to making a new TamTech. Not this.

jamie, so your Z weighs 2.049 kgs? Made the whole thing of tungsten?

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

OTP, scale weight is 28x28x28……which equates to around 4 1/2 tonnes!!!

Leonli, i was told by most who have tested mini 4wd’s that the Plasma dash was the fastest motor available with the highest revs and most power, the open endbell and HUGE commutator show this….

I used to play with these cars when i was little, but never knew about hop up parts.

Bithed….motor experience?? What do you want to know??

bithed
      Participant

…I luv the TAMIYA motor that wont ‘drive’ the car until you nudge it with your finger and it then stops when it hits something…VERY Japanese…lol…

…Along the same lines as these are the…Microamps you gonna love these things baby…The Dangun Racer series…for looks these things rock !!

…Jamie I will run some things by you at a later date 🙂

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

Off the top of my head, a Z weighs ~300g (0.3kg)

0.3 x 28^3 =6585kgs!

You’re right. I always though weight scaled down correctly too:

Eg 1/10 car, 1.5kgs

1.5 x 10^3=1500, so it’s about right

leonli17
      Participant

Bithed: are u talkign abotu the Tamiya 130 Motors that drive until you nudge it? and stops when it hits something? Are those on the 4WD Racer’s page the same motors?

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

OTP, my mini Z weighs 195 grams RTR.

trash
      Participant

The tamiya motors sound like a really simple problem that I was having with my mini-Z. The batteries weren’t fully charged and the torque required to overcome friction just wasn’t quite enough. I replaced the battery charger and it doesn’t happen anymore.
      I’ve seen those 4WD tamiyas somewhere too, but they didn’t grab my attention. I think I saw them in KL where they were probably asking some rediculious price.
      There is another type of 4WD car the is much better than Mini-X. I’m supprised that I never see them mentioned here.
      HPI – RS4’s. They are better than mini-Z and mini-X, but the cost is more expensive and I’ve been waiting for the price to come down.

http://www.hpiracing.com/kits/micro/micro-m.htm

oldtamiyaphile
      Participant

We know about the MRS4, but at that price and size, I think most people would rather buy 1/10.

For indoors, even the 1/24 cars are on the big side.

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      …I luv the TAMIYA motor that wont ‘drive’ the car until you nudge it with your finger and it then stops when it hits something…VERY Japanese…lol…

Tamiya Touch-Dash Motor (#15225)

… always wanted to pull one of those apart… :p

PandaBear
      Participant
      Quote:
      ….I think I saw them in KL

kay ell… r u M’sian? :smiley16:

Quote:
      HPI – RS4’s. They are better than mini-Z and mini-X, but the cost is more expensive and I’ve been waiting for the price to come down. http://www.hpiracing.com/kits/micro/micro-m.htm

Why wait any longer?

They’ve long been down to US$100 for new kits, and have seen them
      change hands locally for ~A$100-150 for rolling chassis cars.
      (You need to add your own radio & electronics, maybe battery.)

They won’t get any cheaper than that matey, if it did it’ll be suss.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Man i’m itching to have a look at one of those ‘touch dash’ motors.

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.