rc tank questions

Home Forums 1/8, 1/10, 1/12, 1/18 – Discussion rc tank questions

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      betty.k
      Participant

i ve got a little project i need some help with. i ve already got a twin motor setup, wheels, tracks and chassis. just need a tx and some knowledge. i ve seen other dual motor rc s and they have capacitors across the + and – of both motors. is this necessary, and if so why, and what sort do i use?:8ball:

Edited by – betty.k on 10 December 2003 03:14:11

trash
      Participant

The capacitors are used to reduce noise.
      They aren’t necessary, but better to have them than not. The capacitors are usually “monolithic” type, usually 0.1uF or 0.01uF.
      You could also use greencaps/polyester etc, but they are much physically bigger, monolithics are small, and you may even care to look for SMD type components if you want to get really small.
      You may also find capacitors placed between each terminal and ground.

betty.k
      Participant

cool, thanks trash, that helps me out. i found a cheap 2 ch rc toy today with 2 vertical levers on the tx. i pulled the guts out, and the motors from the toy fit in the gearbox.works better than i expected! if i want to use the tamiya motors that came with the gearbox, should i wire them up exactly the same as the motors from the toy? the toy motors had capacitors across the terminals and also one terminal was wired to the motor shell. is this what you meant by your last sentence?:8ball:

Edited by – betty.k on 10 December 2003 03:15:21

trash
      Participant

Hahah, I love the pics, looks like some classic engineering happening there.
      If one terminal is grounded to the chassis, that’s another way of sheilding RF from getting out of the motor. It basically will stop sparklys appearing on your TV. I actually meant 3 capacitors. one from terminal to terminal and one from each terminal to the chassis of the motor.
      I actually did a pic today that shows two capacitors to the chassis from each terminal.

http://community.webshots.com/s/image7/7/63/38/98576338dcWGKm_fs.jpg

They’re ceramics and the one between the terminals
      isn’t there… hmmm. I should be soldering on in there. 🙂

betty.k
      Participant

pic didn’t work for me, but i understand what you’re saying now. i’ve got a proper battery compartment, just couldn’t wait to get it going! if you used enough blu tack and electrical tape, you could fix the sydney harbour bridge!! nice pics yourself btw. can you give me some good rc tank sites, doesn’t seem to be many around that aren’t some sort of military thing!:8ball:

Edited by – betty.k on 06 November 2003 22:09:35

trash
      Participant

I’m not exactly sure. I’ve seen many different types in Hong Kong (RC heaven). But I haven’t looked at web pages much. microrccenter.com has a good forum with other vehicles.
      The stuff I’ve seen in hong kong includes
      BCG clone tanks,
      Clone combat tanks (like jaycar sell)
      Digi Q tanks
      ~1/50th scale RC tanks
      ~1/20th scale plastic BB firing tanks
      and even some massive 1/8th scale tanks.

There are probally a few others I’ve forgotten about.

I’m not sure why some of the webshots pics don’t work… might like to just try follwing the links below.

betty.k
      Participant

no worries. nice camera tank btw, gives me ideas! some nice tiny wireless cam’s at jaycar ($250,ouch!blackeye:). in fact, they gotta lotta cool tiny stuff!:8ball:

trash
      Participant

well you’d be very upset to know they (wireless) sell for $50 in HK. But the cheap option is look out for some cheap cams either new at DSE/jaycar/oatley or keep an eye out on http://www.vkham.com classifieds. Then just buy the 2.4GHz modules from jaycar or oatley. Or if you really feel up to building some circuits, try minikits. something like 444MHz. You’ll get a speel about being a licenced ham radio operator,
      nobody cares anymore, just say yes :-).
      Might also like to try some of the TV senders either UHF or 2.4GHz.

VooDooMafia
      Participant
      Quote:
      no worries. nice camera tank btw, gives me ideas! some nice tiny wireless cam’s at jaycar ($250,ouch!blackeye:). in fact, they gotta lotta cool tiny stuff!:8ball:

Try ebay I found mine there for $30 bucks for everything (reciever camera got it all)

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.