rcp mini-96 track anyone ?

Viewing 204 reply threads
  • Author
      kevsta
      Participant

Does anyone have a rcp mini-96 track in Australia ? If so, can you tell me how much shipping was.

Thanks.

betty.k
      Participant

damn!big.gifi thought for a second that this was a for sale thread!

i know that ph2t and myself are interested in these too, let us know what you find out8ball.gif

TallduDe
      Participant

i tried to find out shipping but they said they wouldnt do it coz of the size.

ive seen other tracks on offer but they dont have shipping to Oz. will email them to find out if they will.

kevsta
      Participant

They may do them now just for the new business. I stumbled across a thread on minizracer.com where the were prepared to ship them to NZ in two seperate boxes.

I’ve emailed them to find out shipping costs so hopefully they’ll reply soon.

Failing that, I’ll have to see if I can get one from Japan for the Kyosho labelled ones.

dgs73
      Participant

if this is the case then i’m in. I had issues trying to get my hands on one of these a year ago or so, had the same issue as TD. Biggeast issue seems to be shipping, but if you have some luck give me a call if you could pleasebig.gif

TallduDe
      Participant

the thing is if we get a small track each (hint hint) we can use em at home then obn race meets bring em together for one big arse track!!!!!!!!

well thats the dream anyway…..

dgs73
      Participant

you is a mind-reader TD… xp1700.gif

kevsta
      Participant

I still haven’t had a reply from the manufacturer so have shot off emails to mini-z racer.com and the japanese rc store that I get all my 1:10 rc stuff from…

Cross fingers….hope they do ship…

As you all know they are $199USD from mini-zracer.com. If shipping is around $100 USD then sweet…. just hope customs doesn’t slap there fees on top.

ken_wyleung
      Participant

I was ask about the shipping for Mini-96 and this is the reply:

You can go to http://www.usps.com for rates on international orders. You can use information below to find the rate for your country. Be sure to click on the dim. button to find the max. girth ( longest length + total dimension around box) for your country. Each country has different max. girth requirements.

The Wide L would be packed in two smaller boxes. If you purchase from here we can deduct some of the shipping costs which are worked into the standard price.

Each box measures 21′ x 21′ x 18′ Qty (2)

Each box weights approx. 17lbs

Shipping from Zip 91377

Shipping usually takes 7-10 days. No tracking info available for shipments.

WE BRING THE TRACKS TO YOU!

http://www.rcptracks.com http://www.rcptrackbuilder.com

Also, my friend was thought about get two of Wide L (50cm x50cm each) track, and the RCP reply if he order 2 Wide L, he can get 20 pcs of tracks free, but still waiting for reply about the shipping cost.

By the way, you have to think about the custom, they may check it and you have to pay for the tax; if you want to post it by ship.

Good Luck All!

Edited by – ken_wyleung on 12 July 2005 19:29:02

dgs73
      Participant

either way, I hope the price of postage has come down… the last time I looked into this possibility I discovered the postage and handling was almost as much for the track itself!!! (that’s off the ‘bay mind you…)

kevsta
      Participant

Here are some figures going by the Australian Customs website for a mini-96 assuming 0.755 conv rate and shipping at $100 USD….

Customs value (CVAL)$263.00$199 USD (0.755)

Customs duty @ 5 per cent x CVAL $13.15

Postage$132.00Assume $100 USD Shipping (0.755)

Value of Taxable Importation (VoTI)$408.15

GST @ 10 per cent x $408.15 $40.82

Total payable (customs duty + GST) $53.97

There is an upper limit of $50 for Customs duty before it needs to be paid. So if shipping were say $98 USD, or the customs value was reduced by a couple of $ then we don’t have to pay and duty & gst.

dgs73
      Participant

that’s abit of $$$… but if everyone was to act at the same time, postage would have to be reduced…

mini-g
      Participant

you would think but wouldnt count on it!!!!! there is also the clark option! $9 a square….and that will come down if we buy in bulk…… just a thought.

dgs73
      Participant

wanna check out Parra Clarks this weekend then big D?

kevsta
      Participant

I’m still waiting on a reply for shipping costs…

I think by the time you buy up say 40 clark rubber tiles (assuming these are double the size of the mini-96 tile), your getting close to the high $300 mark then you got to make barriers that will stay put on the tiles… so more $$$

dgs73
      Participant

mate under 200aud… easily. You got an email address i could forward something to? As for track edging, it”s too easy. When you get this email it”ll be clear as day… and cheap as s**t. Aaron, big Dave… you have email.

Edited by – dgs73 on 13 July 2005 12:36:44

peteWah
      Participant

I have a foam track how to guide on the computer here,
      Lets build the bugger…

Keymaster

Yup. Got the e-mail and here”s the magic!

foamtrack1.jpg

foamtrack2.jpg

foamtrack3.jpg

foamtrack4.jpg

foamtrack5.jpg

Clark Rubber you have to be able to supply this sorta stuff!

--
      Site Owner Guy.

peteWah
      Participant

And it was me that found this how to, Dont let Dave take all the credit…

Keymaster

*nods* And he did credit you with it 🙂 It’s a great find, I shall be very interested to see the outcomes 🙂

--
      Site Owner Guy.

dgs73
      Participant

i dont want credit, I WANT TO BUILD IT!!!!!! lol Lets do this!!I told Aaron where I got this, the credit is all yours Pete…

kevsta
      Participant

It’s all clear now, thanks guys. I was thinking of the rcp track barriers where they use the ‘pin in hole’ to keep the track barriers in place.

I hope, clark rubber have the 30cm x 30cm interlocking ones.

I’ll have a look on the weekend. Clark rubber is a 5 min drive down the road.

kevsta
      Participant

Just called clark rubber…

The smallest size is 60cm x 60cm ‘EVA’ tile which is equivalent to 4 30 x 30 cm tiles.

$9.95 each, the more you buy the better the price…

Now how many ? 24 of them would be equivalent to the rcp mini-96…

peteWah
      Participant

I thank Ripper 7 Racing And ph2t for having the link…

For those of you that don’t know they are a online magazine
      Here is the link for March

http://www.ripper7racing.com/Magazine/months/03_mar05/index.htm

dgs73
      Participant

60 x 60 is what i was thinking and hoping… we need to get together to figure this out

kevsta
      Participant

Well, the japan rc shop says it’s not in stock and can’t get shipping costs, because of this. They’ don’t sound too keen on shipping it.

Sounds like the home made one will be the money saver..

TallduDe
      Participant

nice!

i can make an indoor track aswell LOL.

maybe i like the idea of it being stored away!!!

might see what test squares u guys get has to be good ie grippie and doesnt cause fluff.

mini-g
      Participant

TD. i have had a close look at them ages ago, they are a firm rubber so no fluff… and think they would be grippy, will have to get a couple and try it.

mini-g
      Participant

or this is another option

http://www.lakeshorerc.com/

dgs73
      Participant

hmmm… too much like a slot car track for my liking… the OL track is way cool however

mini-g
      Participant

we will have to get together and talk about this…..seriously!

dgs73
      Participant

well i’ll be picking up a case ofNew tonight… we could have a chat and a beer. You allowed out to play tonight?tongue.gifbig.gif

mini-g
      Participant

man that may just be possible,

Edited by – mini-g on 14 July 2005 11:50:26

dgs73
      Participant

coolies… will see you soon…

peteWah
      Participant

Drinking beer and talking about foam… LOLRHard
      MMMMM beer foam :smiley2:

TallduDe
      Participant

i emailed that site you posted dave they havent responded.

i like the ol track they had its very nice i like the bridge idea they have if the clark rubber stuff works out ill make a bridge set up, every track needs a bridge im my honest opinon!!!! lol

dgs73
      Participant

yeah, i was looking at the OL track too, pretty cool, plus looks like modding further would be easy. Where about is this company that does these other tracks TD? USA?

kevsta
      Participant

Customs value (CVAL) $263.00 $199 USD (0.755)

Customs duty @ 5 per cent x CVAL $13.15

Postage $209.60$157.40 USD Shipping (0.755)

Value of Taxable Importation (VoTI) $485.75

GST @ 10 per cent x $485.75 $48.57

Total payable (customs duty + GST) $61.70

So guys, RCP mini-96 ship to your door in 7-10 days will cost $550 AUD.

peteWah
      Participant

Stuff that idear then…

dgs73
      Participant

yeah, i’ll pass too… bring on the trip to Clarks!!!!

kevsta
      Participant

Yeah, I’ll pass as well. Its way too expensive when you add the shipping and duty on top.

So will it be black or grey ?

z-beam
      Participant

those banked corners look hella sweet!

i wasted about $80 on lego track tiles for bits! these foam mats would have been so much better!

mini-g
      Participant
      Quote:
      kevsta wrote:

Yeah, I”ll pass as well. Its way too expensive when you add the shipping and duty on top.

So will it be black or grey ?

if you mean the clark stuff they are the same charcoal black like what the other guy used.

we still have to try it though….

dgs73
      Participant

well i’m up for getting some this week… anyone else in?

mini-g
      Participant

hmmmm….maybe if we are all getting, then it will be cheaper for us all.

kevsta
      Participant

I’m looking at getting 24 of them if they can do them at $8 a tile.

But still haven’t had a chance to look or test them. I want to see how well they interlock with each other as well as grip factor.

dgs73
      Participant

i aws hoping we”d all go at once, but I dont think it”s going to happen… maybe if we ring em with a big order and Kev/TD pick up one lot, Dave and I the other. If we all spend about 80 tp 100 bucks, we”ll have a corker of a track…

Edited by – dgs73 on 18 July 2005 14:03:56

mini-g
      Participant

will have to get on to clarks and see how much we have to get for discount.

peteWah
      Participant

what if we were spending enough to have 1 complete track each From the how to…

Then we could all go or ring to make a bigger/Mega order…

I want a whole track that i can fit in a sports bag so i don’t have to rely on others Showing up or what not or somebody has the other halve of the track and is doing a no show or has other things to do and so on…. *laugths*
      This i am sure you don’t want to happen and neither do i…

Verdict = I want a whole track :smiley2:

ph2t
      Participant

once you fellas know the right surface n stuff let us know ’cause betty and I wanna do the same thing. If ya can get the name or part number for the foam you end up using that would be great!

ph2t.

Keymaster

I was going to stop in a C-R today and check out what they have here in Canberra… but the whole MX5 battery saga killed too much time today :/

--
      Site Owner Guy.

peteWah
      Participant

I’m Going to give them a call buy the end of this week
      to talk about quantity and price and stuff.
      The inquiry would be for the lot of us, If we all want a track that is…:smiley2:

peteWah
      Participant

I know i could set a whole track up in my back driveway area
      and Dave could set up 3 or so in his dump of a back yard…

And we wouldn’t have to go to Meadowbank all the time…:smiley2:

TallduDe
      Participant

yeah get a quote for a price i dont need too many i just want a small track tho. i will make a bridge and a figure 8 set up for my place.

z-beam
      Participant

let me know what the prices are, i might be interested in a few as well.

dgs73
      Participant

about 20 each would be suffice… say 16 for the track and 4 to do the edging. If only 4 of us were to get 20 pieces, thenour pvc track would be dwarfed by the size of this. At the mo we’re looking at 8.95 ea for 20 @ 600mm square. Singularly they are 9.95 ea, but to drop the price again from 8.95 we’dhave tobuy 100 to make them 7.95 ea… and even then we only save a buck each sheet. So; here’s the maths – $180 for 20 sheets (the way I suggest doing it), 9.95 ea singular (maybe later down the track (lol) we may want to add smaller amounts so 9.95 ea aint too bad in that case), or if we’re feeling flush then 3 or 4 of us could toddle on in, plonk down 800 bucks and get 100 in one go.

peteWah
      Participant

The are 60cmx60cm or 600mm square, 1cm thick and they come in multiple colours Red, Blue, Green, Yellow and dare i say terracotta…….Yuk

I rang and spoke to the guy (Jamie) at the Haberfield CR store and he gave me all the info in the post above that Dave typed…

Supose we rang other suppliers of foam/rubber with that info and tried to get a better offer…

Could we do better is my Question :huh:

dgs73
      Participant

remember the price of theRCP track Pete? IMHO we ARE getting aawesome deal, would have a hard time doing better…

z-beam
      Participant

definatly pete, wave 500 in cash in there faces and im sure the would go below the 7.95 mark.

my dads a bit of a tightarse but he taught me the art of buying power. cash is your best freind. quotes on paper are great but dont help if there is only one stockest in australia. speak to the store manager, he knows whats going on and other employees usually havent got a clue about the margins of profit. have a look at the packaging they come in, look for the name of the australian distributor on there if there is one and clark rubber dont import them themselves you could get em wholesale. wholesale prices are definatly what your after at a quantity of over 80.

TallduDe
      Participant

might only get like 10 to 15 aye i dont want a big track for home use it would double as a bit track. plus with my section it would be a bridge bit. always fun.

kevsta
      Participant

My preference is for 24 of them tiles – but my upper limit that I want to spend is $200.

Igot that white noodle stuff for track barriers in the garage, so was wanting to use some of that instead of cutting up a another tile.

dgs73
      Participant

how you gonna fix this ‘noodle’ stuff to the edges Kev? Is’nt it round stuff? You might have to cut the stuff down the centre too… 16 of these pieces will give us a race surface of 8 x 16 ft… EACH. Put all these together and we’re SORTED

kevsta
      Participant

I’m planning on using the double sided foam tape to keep the noodle stuff in place just to test if it’ll work afterall, it’s in the garagedoing bugger all and taking uproom.

Do the tiles have a black backing, and coloured top ?What colour is everyone getting ? Green ?

peteWah
      Participant

NO,
      The colours they come in are on the prev page mate,
      They are the same colour all the way through…

:smiley2:

mini-g
      Participant

to do a simple track(oval) would need only 8 squares. can grow from there.

peteWah
      Participant

I want black, red and yes you said it Kev, Green….

The tiles are waterproof And the black tiles i reckon would absorb the heat well allowing for a better racing experience with foam and/or rubber tires :smiley2:

What do you all think :smiley2:

peteWah
      Participant

You could throw some kind of obsticle into a oval you have to start somewhere like you said :smiley2:

Edited by – peteWah on 22 July 2005 12:07:27

peteWah
      Participant

So you are going ahead with the track this Thursday Yes…

Im still going to try and find the wholesale supplier for everyone so we can buy more down the track…

Grrr Clarke Rubber.
      Why is the cost so high do you think, Its only Foam/Rubber :huh:

dgs73
      Participant

because it has to be cut, thicknessed (you know what I mean; 10mm (if thats the thickness) even on every sheet, and that price is fine Pete. I dont think you’d get em much cheaper than 9.00 ea.

kevsta
      Participant

Anyone got them yet ?

I should be getting some soon perhaps this Monday. Just got to work out how many will fit my garage… 24 might be too much.

TallduDe
      Participant

you going to the marickvile clark rubber (cant spell the suburb dude) on monday kev?

fond one in mascot like 10mins where i live i miht go there and see what prices they have an a suitable way of holding the track barriers down.

dgs73
      Participant

going to grab some in a fortnights time… probably 20 of em… in fact make that definatelytongue.gif

kevsta
      Participant

Yep I’ll be going sometime on Monday to the Haberfield store. I’m going to give myself a ‘bank holiday’ LOL.

Will want to get the Black color ones if they’ve got them.

But want to check if the bottom side is smooth and the top side is textured as I want to be able to run on both surfaces. But if the tiles are both textured surfaces, then I might have to re-think it.

dgs73
      Participant

not sure about the surfaces being different grade and hence differing levels of grip… would like to check that also. Dont forget though; once you’ve stuck the edging down you’ve effectively picked the side you’re racing on. Choose wisely!! On another point, i’ve decided to go with yellow for my edging, as I plan on using it (the track) for the occaisional night racing, and after a brief testing last night, discovered yellow will be the easiest to see with the Z lights. To quote Big Kev, I’m EXCITED!!!!!

xp1700.gif

mini-g
      Participant

ok the tiles are diff on the sides, smooth one one patterned on the other.

plus they hane edging borders made of the same stuff that you could use to put walls on so not affecting the track itself

mini-g
      Participant

also we have to try this syuff first, need prob 8 peices to trial

dgs73
      Participant

we’ll have to chuck a couple of Zs in rthe car when we go dood… big.gif

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      mini-g wrote:

ok the tiles are diff on the sides, smooth one one patterned on the other.

plus they hane edging borders made of the same stuff that you could use to put walls on so not affecting the track itself

Good stuff. I have confidence that this stuff will work if kept dust free – either way it’s better than running on bumpy slippery floor tiles or wooden floor boards.

I think the smooth surface will offer more grip.

dgs73
      Participant

I was thinking a mix of both, ie. some high speed (ha) corners using the grippier side, and maybe a couple of low grip corners to keep people on their toes. The straights I guess dont matter in that respect

z-beam
      Participant
      Quote:
      dgs73 wrote:

I was thinking a mix of both, ie. some high speed (ha) corners using the grippier side, and maybe a couple of low grip corners to keep people on their toes. The straights I guess dont matter in that respect

not possible dgs, the puzzle pattern only works one way so no mixing and matching unless you want to do some major fiddling…

how do i know? i went and got 11 peices myself today for under $65… one got hacked up and i made 6 corners and 4 strait sections. as soon as i can get more ill add some more straits.

i chose the rough side over the smooth for asthetic reasons i might have made a mistake but time will tell. i poured a bit of latex masking fluid (liquid latex) that i bought at a art store for $15 on one of the strait sections wich made it way more grippy. if you wanted you could treat the entire track in this but i might only apply it in some sections.

i ran out of pva for the last tile but had a few test runs and im really happy with it, there is great grip but i can still get the cars to slide out on corners with too much throtle applied. perfect in my books!

at the moment its a little too small to get up to top speed even with a stock motor but i suppose thats partly to blame on all the corners i wanted… it was either that or do 4x corners and 6x straits which would be a little boring…

z-beam
      Participant

ok, i did some back reading on this thread… dgs hasnt mentioned this yet but i found a local independant hardware that has the tiles for $6.50 each and $24 for four of them. only come in green at the moment and thier box came with ones with holes cut out as well… i told them im not interested in the holy ones and they will be getting onto their supplier tomorrow (tuesday) to arrange more details…

i asked for black and red but you mentioned yellow did you dave?

i measured out 2.5 cm strips and had more than enough edges for 10 mats from one mat… id say one matt cut up can edge about 12-13 mats depending on how simple you want to go…

ill get some pics up of what ive done so you all can see the rushed job i did and the layout i can get with 10. im thinking 14 at least for me to satisfy all my whims and then possibly another 4 to do some bridges and chicanes with…

all 8 is going to do is make you want more! (plus you need to cut one up, so 7 aint gonna get you nowhere)…

z-beam
      Participant

ok, big dave you wanted to know how well they connect? very well indeed! as i said, the grip is great but if you want to make it so there is zero slip there is the latex option…

heres the pic of the first stage, i think i will paint the edges with some watered down acrylic and possibly use some watered down black ink to get rid of the green…

http://community.webshots.com/photo/343150285/410514409zMgbnq#

410514409zMgbnq_ph.jpg

Edited by – z-beam on 02 August 2005 03:36:41

TallduDe
      Participant

nice z man.

glad someone is doingg something about a track hahahahahahaha

just a question how did you fix the barriers to the track glue them on or pin them down?

dgs73
      Participant

nice job Z beam… good to see someone’s got the initiative (not to mention time; a rare comodity for me these days…) to get this thing started. Nice simple layout, have you tested your Z on it yet? Or maybe I should ask how many times you’ve run on it??tongue.gif

kevsta
      Participant

Very Nice and for a much better price than clark rubber as well.

Any chance you could find out if the supplier supplies any Sydney based stores ?

z-beam
      Participant

i used pva talldude but im sure a contact adhesive would work way better, but that stuff stinks and i like working indoors…

ive had a few runs on it so far dgs and im stoked, i cant wait to get my hands on another 4 to make more straights though.

kevsta the supplier ive found is pretty tight lipped, but very reasonable and keen to do buisness. same mats for 75% of the price than clark rubber… goes to show how much these chains try to monopolize the market…

at $24 for 4 mats im sure even with shipping from here you will still be able to get 24 for under $200.

did i mention how quick and easy this took to assemble? under 20 minutes for the 10 tiles i did, with a break for a ciggy and a beer included! waiting for the glue to dry is going to take longer!

z-beam
      Participant

the pva didnt couldnt stand up to the might of my 6×2 stacked supra with foamies… i supose that i didnt wiat for the glue to dry could have added to the problem!

so much acceleration its not funny! and racing on a uniform surface makes a huge difference to tuning. this track will really invigorate the love for the mini-z i think!

TallduDe
      Participant

just curious as to how peeps are gonna stick the barriers to the track?

would be good if al of us did the same style so when twe bring our tracks together ther all the same edges and no worries!

z-beam
      Participant

the barriers dont have to be the full length of the mat, in fact id suggest following that tutorial almost to the letter as far as construction goes unless you want to keep the puzzle edges on all tiles like i did. there needs to be a gap in between the barriers so that the mats can disconnect properly.

dgs73
      Participant

yeah, i’ll be hot-glueing my edging to the surface… like Zbeam sez, stick to the tutorial and we should all wind up with the same result

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      TallduDe wrote:

just curious as to how peeps are gonna stick the barriers to the track?

would be good if al of us did the same style so when twe bring our tracks together ther all the same edges and no worries!

I’m going to try double side foam tape first and if that fails, I’ll go for the glue.

z-beam
      Participant

the tape should work fine alongside the hot glued pieces.

icebreaka
      Participant

I’ve been watching this thread for a while 😀

Nice to see tracks finally taking off 😀

I haven’t used my mini-z since January 🙁

kevsta
      Participant

Went in to CR on Saturday and checked them out – they do interlock very well compared to the cheapy kids playmats.

I’ve placed my order for some !

ph2t
      Participant

excellent work fellas, where is this tutorial?

Keymaster

A few pages ahead in this thread is a copy of it. But I think it was lifted from elsewhere? PeteWah had it last 🙂

--
      Site Owner Guy.

peteWah
      Participant

Guys,

It’s a link from Ripper 7 racing, You should know this Ph2t because i got the link from your site…

Its the March issue of there online magazine, A decent site if you ask me :smiley2:

dgs73
      Participant

Finally i’m organised… next week 10 – 15 sheets… waited long enough now…

kevsta
      Participant

I just picked up my 24 black tiles today. Got them for $200 AUD which is what I wanted to pay so a saving of $38 off normal retail.

The smooth surface looks like it has the most traction. I’ve got to test the foam tape to see if it holds up.

kevsta
      Participant

Foam Tape doesn”t work. Stick with the glue. Heaps of traction on the smooth side…

I’m going to have to visit Clark Rubber again for some yellow tiles for the track barriers. The noodle stuff is simply going to break off even when glued to the mats.

Edited by – kevsta on 09 August 2005 13:16:35

dgs73
      Participant

good choice with the yellow Kev… i’m using the same colour for edging so it can be seen by the headlights of Mini Zs… night racing anyone?!?xp1700.gif

TallduDe
      Participant

man that would be cool!

atm im too broke to at a track one purchase at a time for im afraid.

i would like to see these matts and how you can put them together would give me a better idea how to do stuff when i can see it in action.

dgs73
      Participant

pretty much as the how to describes dude… i’ll be following to the letter, probably without the corner indicators though

kevsta
      Participant

Yeah I’m following the tutorial as well, but instead of hot glue, I’m going to use a tube of shoe goo that I bought from Rebel sport a few months ago.

Oh.. and also going to do 12mm wide track barriers..1 yellow tile should give me enough track barriers to fit on 24 mats.

I got to say with so much traction – it makes the z’s hard to drive because they’re so quick to respond to steering input… it’s going to take some time to get use to.

Keymaster

There may be a fix for the steering rate issue. It would all be about reducing the servo motor speed a touch 🙂

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

peteWah
      Participant

Yeah dial the steering down a bit maybe :smiley2:

z-beam
      Participant

i had a lash with my meagre track (envious of your 24 matts kevsta!) with some freinds on the weekend, i set up both cars with stock motors and 9 tooth pinions. the supra had 20 degree rubbers on and i thought id try some hard tires up front with medium ones on the back of the lancer… so hard to steer at speed with the less grippy tires… way to much understeer… experiment with your set ups kevsta, youll be surprised!

i still prefer the foams at the moment to the 20degree all round. that little bit of loss of traction makes cornering more fun!

FALCON-LORD
      Participant

Got a question…

Did you guys end up settleing on the 600mm tiles, and how well can you run multiple cars on the track?

dgs73
      Participant

you make a good point, with only 550mm odd track width left for racing. Any more than say 6 would be tight, but staggered starts should see the cars separating a bit

z-beam
      Participant

its tight, but quite competitive even with 2 cars side by side. id imagine that even more could be run with no troubles with some carefull driving.

you guys watch a lot of the v8 racing dontcha? how often do those guys actually make contact? what penalties apply for bad driving?

FALCON-LORD
      Participant

600 mm Tiles for 7.99 at Rays Outdoors. Plus you get 6.5% discount if you join there loyalty club (No cost)(Woohoo)

If any one is interested

z-beam
      Participant

supercheap auto has em for the cheapest ive seen. $19 bux for a pack of 4 and they are charcoal in colour…

dgs73
      Participant

they’re the ones we used… Jay (Morbid Monaro) will no doubt post some pics up tonight… Awesome to run on too, used 10 degree on all four corners, then tried soft foamies as the day got warmer… lets just say the 10 degree set still have no wear. The foamies rock!!!

kevsta
      Participant

Can’t say much has been done with my track at them moment… I’ve run out of glue and need another yellow tile from clark rubber.

It’s getting there though. I’ve got another 10 tiles to go.

TallduDe
      Participant

bought 8 square from super cheap auto.

did you guys cut up one to mae barriers?

they were cheap 19 bucks for 4 61cm by 61cm squares, nice.

dgs73
      Participant

Jay used a soft foam material… good edge, as it stops people riding the edge… catches you right up if hit on a bad angle too… a little too soft though

icebreaka
      Participant

wow thanks for the heads up on supercheap.. makes it look very enticing…

kevsta
      Participant

I finally finished my track. Had to use Selleys kwik grip contact adhesive for the remaining tiles – so am not sure if this will hold as well as the shoe goo does.

I’ll try an attach some photos over the weekend.

TD, I just bought a couple of yellow tiles and cut them into 2cm strips.

Morbid Monaro
      Participant

a good glue to use is the 3M 77 or 75 spray glue, you spray it on the edging, wait till it gets tacky, then stick it down, its just contact adhesive but the spray makes it easy to apply. also kevsta how did you post that pic, i’ve been trying to post pics of the track & videos of racing

dgs73
      Participant

icebreaka; long time no see mate!!! Yeah, alot of us have gotten the Supercheap Auto mats, at 19 bucka approx. for 4, its a steal!! 5 sets gives you a decent size, then when you get 4 or 5 people together with that number… massive!! The other option is Clarks, i’ve gotta go out there this weekend some time to grab 2 or 3 yellow mats like Kevs for the edging…

Morbid Monaro
      Participant

ok guy’s i’ve got the pics & videos of the track in action

Morbid Monaro
      Participant

video

Morbid Monaro
      Participant

doh! having trouble with the video, here’s another pic

Morbid Monaro
      Participant

check out this beast against my 02 McLaren, bloody huge!!!

icebreaka
      Participant

OH WOW ! That meadowbank track looks AMAZING!!! 😀

Got 4 tiles today .. Pretty SWEET deal! .. the joins are not as smooth as i’d like, and i wish the tiles were jus that lil bit bigger! Can’t wait to get more of these and have my first efficient indoor track 😀

btw, how do u cut the yellow tiles? what tool do u use? thanks

icebreaka
      Participant

Maybe Aaron could find out the distributor of the tiles and sell them here?

kevsta
      Participant

Nice track Morbid Monaro ! Looks very impressive.

Icebreaka, use a utility knife that you buy from the local bargain/hardware shop. Get yourself a metal ruler or something similar to help keep the knife in place when slicing through the foam.

The clark rubber tiles have excellent joins – they are extremely tight but unfortunately are quite expensive.

dgs73
      Participant

should have my couple of pieces from Clarks in yellow this afternoon… edging will be done tomorrow/Saturday, then it’s break-in on Sunday!!! Sweet!xp1700.gif

Morbid Monaro
      Participant

i used the same as kevsta to cut it but i used a roll of foam cut into strips for the edge, didn’t work as well as i thought, cheap at $5.50 per meter, i’m currently changing to the chopped up yellow mat, just a little bit harder than the foam i used.

dgs73
      Participant

got my pieces today… cut them into strips, just gotta get some shoo goo or similar product to stick em down… will be ready for Sunday for sure…

Morbid Monaro
      Participant

well guy’s i had a great time racing, too much fun. got a video for everyone to watch

dgs73
      Participant

oh yeah, a very good day… bloody looooooong though… cheers to all that showed up too! Especially Zbeam and his funky new toy!! btw, wots up with the video? Why the lock off?

dgs73
      Participant

looking at your last post time M.M., I guess you left my place about 4am this morning… clap.gif

Morbid Monaro
      Participant

somewhere there, wasn’t really concentrating on the time as much as keeping my eyes open,very long day for me

Morbid Monaro
      Participant

sorry guy’s, don’t know what happened with the video. i’ll try again

Morbid Monaro
      Participant

doh, doh, doh, must be something wromg with my pc

TallduDe
      Participant

the surface for the super cheap auto matts is great even with 20d rubber it went really well.

if i had a set of soft foams it will be mega maybe too much grip a thing i have never come across with mini z’s before.

i need to get a few more squares and glue down some barriers……..

Morbid Monaro
      Participant

i know what you mean, the echo tends to flip rather than spin, most of my narrow cars have that problem on the track, i can’t see the Lambo having any flipping problems similar to the McLaren

betty.k
      Participant

i’m running foams on concrete and they’re too grippy! i’ve had to swap to rubber on the front to deaden the steering.8ball.gif

dgs73
      Participant

yeah, I had that issue when i ran the madman with the Plasma Dash… way too much traction on concrete and netball courts… messyblackeye.gif

Morbid Monaro
      Participant

lets see if this works, fingers crossed

Morbid Monaro
      Participant

awesome!!!! finally got the videos up, pretty bad quality but i had to keep reducing the file size till it worked, if you play it small you can get the idea. this a compilation of all the days racing so far & an example the versatility of the track shape & location(indoor,outdoor) also all the tracks were made with less than 40 mats. so at $20 for 4 if you spend about $200 you can make any of the track in the pic, can’t remember where i got the pic from

Morbid Monaro
      Participant

oh yeah, in the pic the tracks are all double width, since we have been making single width tracks 4 matson the pic equals 1 of our mats. although i’m trying to get enough mats to make the tracks double width,it’ll take about 120-130 mats, think it might be a while though pretty exy

Keymaster

Some Videos:

http://www.ausmicro.net/v3/thedump/indoorrace.AVI

http://www.ausmicro.net/thedump/shortmeadowbank.AVI

Edited by – Aaron on 15 September 2005 09:07:06

--
      Site Owner Guy.

dgs73
      Participant

not bad J… notice in the first part the 350Z has that weird red ‘ghost’ imagefollowing it around the track? Odd but kinda funky…

Morbid Monaro
      Participant
      Quote:
      dgs73 wrote:

not bad J… notice in the first part the 350Z has that weird red ‘ghost’ imagefollowing it around the track? Odd but kinda funky…

yeah, i noticed that too, ooooooo……….scarey, thats a result of the reduction in size, reduce the file sizereduce the quality, bit of a trade off but at least its upbig.gif

Morbid Monaro
      Participant

cool, thanx for putting those up Aaron, top stuff

TallduDe
      Participant

cool

i like the first vid of urs jay coz at the end it shows a yellow lambo doin some clean laps LOL.

Morbid Monaro
      Participant

cheers dude, i’m not sure who owns the lambo, just some ring in i guess, hehehe, nice drivin dude

z-beam
      Participant

dial up in a motel half way home in taree is incredibly slow. cant wait to see the vid and it was a superior racing experience on those matts. i had a great time that day and cant wait till next time i come down and woop you all! *evil laughter*

hows your elbow pete?

z-beam
      Participant

so yellow stood out well in the vid eh? i might have to paint up a body that stands out better…

whatever happened to that fella roe? he had the camera hook ups didnt he?

i wooped you all in the first vid that Aaron posted… the metalic supra coming out of the first collision, thats me.

Edited by – z-beam on 20 September 2005 22:28:43

Morbid Monaro
      Participant

yeah, yeah, your car ripps! Me thinks that 8 cars is a little too many for each race, next time we’ll have to get organised with heats n’ stuff, we can race for ‘the championship of the universe’, muahahahaha,VICTORY ISMINE!!!!

dgs73
      Participant

four cars would be best, me thinks… champion of the universe? We’ll see…

FALCON-LORD
      Participant

I just did some tests runs with my MMZ on the rippled side of this stuff…

I was sliding around all over the shop.

Great for a drift session, but not looking raceable

TallduDe
      Participant

hmmmm maybe one corner can be the ripple side just to add a bit of spice to the equation hahahahahahaha.

4 cars would be good plus a colour or flag system so big dave can use his timing programe on someones laptop.

maybe a the winner gets a beer and crowned champion of theZ universe at the same time hahahaha

mini-g
      Participant
      Quote:
      TallduDe wrote:

hmmmm maybe one corner can be the ripple side just to add a bit of spice to the equation hahahahahahaha.

4 cars would be good plus a colour or flag system so big dave can use his timing programe on someones laptop.

maybe a the winner gets a beer and crowned champion of theZ universe at the same time hahahaha

yeah race for the beer!!!! lol

Keymaster

What would be good is if I/we make up some basic sheets that take 8 or 12 cars and give a quick tree down to a winner…

So you start with 8 cars on the left, thehn run two races of 4 cars, take the top two cars from each race and produce a race of 4 cars, then the 4 lower placed cars race. This gives people who crash out early a chance to race back up through the ranks to get into the final race of 4 cars..

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

kevsta
      Participant

After running on this track a few times, I’m thinking that the downside of this track is that when you hit or touch the foam barrier at any angle, your mini-z get’s stuck due to the friction between body and barrier and you need to reverse to get out of the situation…

I’m thinking of lining the inside of the track barriers with some masking tape to prevent this from happening… (I hope the masking tape stays on the track barrier)…

Anyone else tried anything..? I figured it has to be some sort oftape because you still want the foam barrier to absorb the impacts.

dgs73
      Participant

avoiding thoses edges will make us better drivers… i find we hit em on occasion, but we dont get stuck unless hitting it almost dead on… i’d suggest vinyl Kev, as it’s glossy as on the face, and will hold together better than masking… plus the imact absorption will not be decreased… always a plus…

Keymaster

Electrical tape could be an option?

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

dgs73
      Participant

yeah, that’d be a cheaper way to do it than my suggestion…

betty.k
      Participant

try garden hose.it absorbsimpacts nicelyand isnot so grippyxp1700.gif8ball.gif

dgs73
      Participant

we’re after a non-grip edging solution for our indoor foam track… hose would decrease our driving line by a further 20mm… as it is, 580mm lanes are almost too narrow (and are too narrow for some…big.gif), so are looking at alternatives that do not cut into surface area… I might try vinyl on mine, will let y’all know how it goes.

betty.k
      Participant

lose the foam barriers altogether and just use hose.8ball.gif

dgs73
      Participant

could pin em in place I ‘spose… but like J and Big Dave say though, just don’t hit the edges!!! No issues then… lol Actually betty, we used to use hose before we did this whole foam mat thing… actually, that idea came to us before even the pvc condute option… we’ll figure something out. We’re a cluey bunch…tongue.gif

betty.k
      Participant

i hear ya on the space issue, my makeshift hose track has 1 metre wide lanes and me an’ ph2t are still smacking into the sides!

but garden hose is a great barrier for 1:28’s, it’s high enough to keep the cars in (most of the time!), cheap and it’s nice to the bodies at full speed.

although at templestowe i used to get nice pretty yellow scrapes all over my cars, the hose leaves icky brown smears!big.gif8ball.gif

dgs73
      Participant

plus, I noticed when we used hose that some bodies (narrows usually; not as low as wide bodies) gave the Z the ability to hop over barriers and keep going… Focca’s BMW was one that’d do it, no issues…

kevsta
      Participant

Thanks all, I’ll try the electric tape. I sure hope it’ll stick to the foam.

dgs73
      Participant

Kev; try adding a little spray glue (3M, etc.),it’ll help the tape stay stuck better…

betty.k
      Participant

oo, oo!! i got another idea. thin cardboard would be good on the foam, you could maybe use blu tack or double sided tape.

then you can print out cool sponsor barriers like the attached one (let’s step into the way back machine sherman!big.gif)8ball.gif

betty.k
      Participant

something wrong with that upload, view the pic here:

http://image53.webshots.com/53/7/87/91/470278791CHDQVP_fs.jpg8ball.gif

Edited by – betty.k on 07 October 2005 15:40:42

peteWah
      Participant

You have issues with the Boss do you :huh:

Morbid Monaro
      Participant

another idea is maybe gaffa tape or fiber reinforced tape, its strong & absorbs impact. i’m not sure that cardboard is a good idea, it would need to be replaced a lot & be pretty hard to keep stuck down, maybe some light corflute(corrigated plastic, like cardboard but made of plastic) i was thinking ofsticking a thin strip of plastic or laminate along the edge of each peice, the only problem i can see with this is the gaps where the mats join catching on the cars & not much absorbtion…… hmmmm still thinking i guess

dgs73
      Participant

been a while since this was active… time to breath some life ino it. ..After much evening racing (awesome stuff, peteWah!!! You’re getting good… we gotta avoid those late races however; i’m tired as…sleep.gifno more racing after midnight!!!), have discovered that even with a width of 580mm track, there is more than enough room for three Zs… we even managed to take the same corners at the same time… hard, but pulled off a couple of times… guess what i’m doing tonight!! Hope the racer can be fixed Pete, though the OL is interesting to race against… to say the least…

peteWah
      Participant

Here here,

Racer wont be fixed today, It will be Alteza Vs Landcruiser again tonight….

The OL is my racer ATM and is more than up for the challenge as you know, Its fun racing it and no doubt your having fun racing against it, the challenge being to get past a big arse Landcruiser and not tip him up on his side (hint) not that it bothers me because i can drive of my side as you know doing a Homer Simpson like dance LOL woop woop wooop :smiley2:

I am ready for FUN :p

dgs73
      Participant

no worries dude… there will also be an F1 Mclaren there… J’s coming up after I finish… i know what you mean by my tiping you over too, not deliberate but it was happening alot…

peteWah
      Participant

Finally he will bring a car that he can race on his track 😀

You can knock me over as much as you want or not, Just be careful when im doing my dance to get upright :smiley2:

TallduDe
      Participant

long time no speak dudes been o/s for a while kinda a on the spot holiday decision made by me.

can i come along for racing action or is it invite only? hahahahahahahaha

dgs73
      Participant

but will it be geared down? Or will he say that track is too narrow again (meaning over-geared…)? We’ll have to see… and yes,will be careful, but you too… not that there was any damage the last few nights… only the occaisional sickening thud that did nothing to the shells… way less damage than a gung-ho run outdoors anyway…

Edited by – dgs73 on 02 November 2005 14:14:39

dgs73
      Participant

TD; more than welcome!!! Every night sees the track copping some action! The more the merrier!!! Where did you go mate?

TallduDe
      Participant

sweet this sunday it is then.

good thing about this indoor track no matter the weather we will be racing!

btw i went to the USA went across the country.

dgs73
      Participant

this is true… plus sunburn is out of the question!! If we get enough people, i’ll grab some snags and whatnot and we’ll have a bbq as well…

dgs73
      Participant

well, that was a big weekend… about 7 hours racing on Saturday, then another 4-5 hours yesterday… will wack more details in the Sydney racing topic…

mini-g
      Participant
      Quote:
      dgs73 wrote:

this is true… plus sunburn is out of the question!! If we get enough people, i”ll grab some snags and whatnot and we”ll have a bbq as well…

is everyone in next sunday????? will have to do the bbq again, i’ll bring the colslaw again….oh and some meat. who else is in?????

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      mini-g wrote:

Quote:
      dgs73 wrote:

this is true… plus sunburn is out of the question!! If we get enough people, i””ll grab some snags and whatnot and we””ll have a bbq as well…

is everyone in next sunday????? will have to do the bbq again, i”ll bring the colslaw again….oh and some meat. who else is in?????

Hmm… Sounds good… but aren’t you guys going to brush farm onroad champs…?

mini-g
      Participant

i wont be, thats why i asked, what are you guys doing?????

TallduDe
      Participant

ill be there this sunday.

ill bring some sausages if theres a bbq on.

lets do heats this time maybe a timetrail if we can be bothered??

mini-g
      Participant

cool TD, see you there. anyone else????

kevsta
      Participant

I”ll try my best to get there – depends on whether the mrs has organised something without telling me but will know later on this week.

btw. is there a large enough area for a 24 tile track ?

I better start charging up the batteries tonight…

Hey Dave, did you see the Initial-D movie yet?

Edited by – kevsta on 15 November 2005 13:31:03

kevsta
      Participant

Okay, Looks like I’m good to go on Sunday.

TallduDe
      Participant

sweet man see you then.

who else is going?

peteWah
      Participant

Me of course, and i now have a racer to run…

Thanks for the servo gear TD…

:smiley2:

kevsta
      Participant

I’ll bringfresh bread rolls and thick bbq sausages plus coke.

betty.k
      Participant

you’ll probably wanna wash that lot down with some coca cola tooxp1700.gif8ball.gif

z-beam
      Participant

hey! its an 8 ball!

mini-g
      Participant

hey would be good to see you kev….

but unfortunatly i was talking to DGS and it looks like he may be working in the arvo so it might have to be a lunch bbq and early racing. give DGS a call for more info….thanks

peteWah
      Participant

We banked up 1 of the corners on the track in the last few days…

The extra speed 1 can carry in that sweeping turn is just Cunuts :smiley2:

z-beam
      Participant

you and the banked corner! i had fun smashing into your elbow that day… once again very sorry…

oh… its almost cunuts…

http://driftcat.ytmnd.com/

Edited by – z-beam on 06 January 2006 22:07:36

peteWah
      Participant

What what what, I do not recall >>> Enlighten Me Please…

peteWah
      Participant

And what the hell is that cunlink…

z-beam
      Participant

forgive me pete… it was some random crap i dredged out of your the man now dog.com

http://ytmnd.com/

have fun…

whtang
      Participant

For those that a curious.. here is a quote i just got back…

By today’s crappy exchange rate.. 1 AUD = 74.5014 JPY

Kyosho No.87051 – mini-Z grandprix circuit (50) 84105 yen -> 1128.91 AUD
      Shipping fee by EMS 23900 yen -> 320.93 AUD
      Paypal charge 4501 yen -> 60.44 AUD

Total amount 112506 yen -> 1510.71 AUD

STEEEEEEEP!!!!!

This is the 96 large tile track.. ie,. 50cm tiles of the mini96
      http://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/rc/acce_result.html?sub_series_id=100071

blurrc
      Participant

You could just buy it off atomic mods for $200us if I remember correctly + $100us for the expansion set.
      Yay the exchange rate is on the rise for us 75.5 cents OMG

whtang
      Participant

US$199 would be the mini-tile 96.. 30cm tiles…
      this kyosho one is 96 of the 50cm tiles.. still too pricey though… it would work out better to get 3 wide-L’s (120 tiles) for US$600 but then you have shipping!

whtang
      Participant

It’s finally here!!
      we’ll be organising a event in mid Oct and also planning to run HFAY later a well…
      to stay tuned for more news!

Viewing 204 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.