RE: Steering spring

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      mcojoc
      Participant

Any suggestions on steering springs? I lost one (stupid me) and cannot find a suitable replacement. I’ve tried slot car (tomy and tyco) springs stretched and reshaped but they are too hard… suggestions would be appreciated, or if anyone has an extra they could spare….

Thanks!

Mitch

Admin
      Participant

Some where I saw a pic taking the springs out of a VHS video tape to do the job. Not sure if the project was successfull or not.

But just an idea anyway.

b.

mcojoc
      Participant

I saw that but hadn’t tried it yet. Thanks for the suggestion. They appear pretty thick, so I wonder how well the’ll do…I’ll keep everyone posted….

Mitch

mcojoc
      Participant

Too thick. No solution I can find just yet. I’m experimenting with (of all things)…. Thin elastic thread tied around the steering arm and the screw mount….

Admin
      Participant

I already went through all this, check out my other post about it. I tried soo much. Things like the vhs spring, no cigar, tried some wire inside of a phone line, no cigar, tried bag wraps from the grocery store, the wire in there, no cigar, nothing worked but then i found my orignal wire, tried to put it on back how it was and ended up screwing it up soo bad that now i am asking for someone that has the whole magnet rod with wire, i will purchase it from someone. Because imessed the rod up also in the process, and i dont want to buy another bit just for that one peice. So please anyone with extras or not-wanteds, please post and i will e-mail you about a price. Thank you, Dave

Admin
      Participant

What a saga, Dave! :smiley3:

Saw your “wanted” post in the buy/sell/swap area – hopefully someone can come to the rescue :smiley4:

Cheers

Derek

Admin
      Participant

Derek could you please please please try and help me out also. I have been trying so hard and im a bit-less right now and hate it. I gotta be able to find that peice! Someone has to be nice enough to sell me one, i dunno but please could you help me. Thanks, Dave

Admin
      Participant

David Have you seen a new car called the Z-cars it is on almost the same platform as the bit char-g they are going for about $20 here buy me. The motor and gears work and the spring you need looks like it would work. Hope this will help.

Admin
      Participant

Would you pay $11 for the whole front end assembly? This would include the magnet, spring, stock sway bar, even new steering knuckles (that white piece the front wheel axles press into). It would also include a spare battery andPC board plastic cover. Do I have you convinced yet? OK, here it is.

BUY AN OEM BULLET FROM TOY EAST. Yes it takes a while to mail and yes you’ll pay shipping but all these parts are interchangeable and they are only $11 at Toyeast.com.

I think you’ll find the bulled is much faster anyway. Shave the body mounts down and put your bit body on it. Then reverse the motor wires and you can even use your bit remote with it.

-Peter

Admin
      Participant

I’m in exactly the same boat… going to place an order for an OEM bullet thing now.

I’m ***NEVER*** operating on my bitchar-g anywhere near my cluttered pc area again :).

Shard

mcojoc
      Participant

I would also like to add that since I changed out the front end of my bit char with the OEM-BULLET front end, that bump steering is reduced drastically due to the stronger spring in the OEM steering arm assembly. REMEMBER TO REVERSE THE MAGNET ON THE OEM STEERING ARM AND SECURE IT WITH SOME ZAP CA OR OTHER PERMANENT GLUE BEFORE ASSEMBLING YOUR BIT OR YOUR STEERING WILL WORK BACKWARDS! DO NOT GET GLUE ON THE SIDES, INSTEAD, PLACE A DROPON THE STEERING ARM WHERE IT “CUPS” THE MAGNET AND PLACE THE MAGNET BACK IN THE HOLDER MAKING SURE IT’s CENTERED….

P.S. BY “BUMP STEERING” I mean that the car tends to NOT change direction as a result of hitting a bump. It did change direction with the old original bit char g steering arm, magnet, spring and wheels…

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.