Review: LXX Super Perfection

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Ok here’s the sh1t. I just recently scored one of the new LXX Super Perfection IV series of cars. Bottom line is that I’m happy. Here’s the breakdown…..

I bought it from ToyEast for $11.90USD:

http://www.toyeast.com/proddetail2.asp?pdtid=ADEL032

The sets are known as the “Classic Series” and all this means is that the only two shells you get in one package are the LAMBORGHINI or FERRARI. Depending on what frequency you choose, all the cars vary in colour.

I bought the 40B channel setup.

rev_1.jpg

You get:

1) The controller
      2) The 40B chassis
      3) Two bodies, Labmo and Ferrari
      4) 3.5 Perfection Motor
      5) 3 sets of tyres, soft, med & hard.
      6) Decals sheet.

General Performance

This car is great! The handling is better than your regular bit. The car had for me a 9 meter range (indoors) out of the box with no mods. There is no “command hold” problem that suffered the TOMY Sbcg’s. The performance under %50 boost is way better now than on the 1st gen LXX booster cars. Even with the Perfection 3.5 which isn’t a very good motor (the perf 3.8 is a briliant motor though, go figure) the %50 boost mode works well and then pressing the top left button on the controller you go into %100 boost mode.

Controller

I like the shape of the new controllers, this was the same with the TOMY controllers as well and for all those people that have TOMY Sbcg’s you will know what I mean. One thing that does set this controller apart is the switch on the back. Referring to below’s diagram:

switch.jpg

The switch says A,B,C but this DOESN’t mean freq selection. This means either “Daul Speed Mode” or “Constant Speed mode”. Basically this means the car can be a two speed car OR a singe speed car.
      The switch only has two positions, not three which is misleading given the A,B,C selection.

Tyres

You get 3 FULL sets for each spec. Soft, medium and hard.
      Notice the tread on these tyres:

tyres.jpg

I’m yet to use them as the stock tyres are slightly sticky. They are nowhere near the slicks of the first gen LXX’s though.

Chassis

Chassis is clear, duh! Smaller and lighter than the first gen Bit’s, you get to see the steering magnet in action. (sad..)

chassis1.jpg

body3.jpg

body2.jpg

You can see that the bodies could sit better. The rims are nice though!

The quality of the shells are quite good. They are a bit stiff, making them tricky to remove from the chassis.

body1.jpg

Now the Guts

Running a 120mAh NiMh inside. Runtimes I haven’t really tested yet. Don’t have a fresh set of batteries to be able to benchmark.

battery.jpg

The electronics layout is the same as Bits and 1st gen LXX’s.

guts.jpg

A bonus is that the control circuitry is based on the TX6/RX6 chipsets so there is no major changes to the circuitry apart from the ability to operate over 3 channels. I haven’t had a detailed look at the PCB to quantify this extra circuitry yet. I might later.

This also means that they are easy to MOSFET mod since this has been done to LXX PCB’s before. I have fet modded an LXX before with no problems. Crazydave has a layout diagram I beleive for LXX’s in the “Mosfet PCB diagrams” thread in Wiered Science at bitpimps.

One thing I have noticed is that the LXX boards punch more energy into the motors. It is well known that the first gen LXX boosters were quite crappy (specially on %50 boost) and they needed mosfet modding just to be able to work properly. If these new Super Perfections perform better stock then I hope the mosfet mod will get even more power into the motor.

See below for the RX6C chip on the receiver PCB.

pcb.jpg

Also if this 40A,B,C and 27A,B,C channel stuff works out well, I think I might of found my new stock chassis for my cars….

ph2t.

Edited by – ph2t on 10 December 2003 11:35:20

Participant

nice score man, i cant wait till mine comes. which one out of them tyres are the soft one. and i like the idea on the controller so it can be 1 or 2 speed car.

Edited by – brendan123 on 10 December 2003 00:43:10

Participant

waaaaah!!:sad: i want wanna them!!:8ball:

Participant

sweet i really like those wheels on that sucker!

hows the paint job on the shells? are they better then the Beatle coz that paint job came off after it hitstuff, really uncool.

Participant

hmm.., these or the new tanks??? Maybe both:)

Thanks for the review ph2t. With three settings on the controller, what does the third do?

Participant

thanks for the review ph2t, they sound great.

Participant

I got a Super Perfection (Esso Supra & Skyline) a few weeks ago. The controller is cool – the buttons have a sort of sqwishy feel to them, unlike the click click of the normal controllers.

Hey Ph2t – did yours come with the extra heatsink that doesn’t fit? I can’t get mine to clip in.

Participant

Imprezza – the controller has a 2 way switch for boost or single speed, its got ABC printed above it just to confuse us.

Hope I’m not hijacking your review ph2t 👿 🙂

Participant

Review udpated fellas. I was so tired last night I didn’t even realise I uploaded the drivel I presented the first time around.

We’ll here’s the full review now.

Kero, mine didn’t come with a heatsink man. I’ve never used any perfection heatsinks.

ph2t.

Participant

when you said the car chassis was smaller and lighter, did you mean that the Bit shells won’t be able to fit on? Nice Review, though

Participant

THe size of the chassis is the same. What were square corners are now bevelled edges so in that respect it’s more efficient in the space it takes up.

The TOMY shells have the same issue in fitting like the 1st gen LXX’s. The front tab on the chassis is too wide and needs to be filled down a couple of mm on each side to fit.

ph2t.

Participant

Are the wheels (front and rear) the same size as each other, or are they the same sizes as regular Char-g rims (if you get what I mean)???

Participant

Same ratios as Char-G rims.

ph2t.

Participant

ph2t, are you saying they can’t gurantee which shell you’ll get, and in what colour? I’m also wondering if you can pay toyeast by paypal, and how much they charge you on shipping, cos it might be a good idea if we do a group buy, as i hear toyeast over charge on shipping, anyway man, nice buy, the diablo gt-r is my favourite lambo shell 🙂

Participant

You can guarantee what colour shell you get, BUT it’s only ever gonna be the lambo and the Ferrari.

ph2t.

Participant

Nicely done Ph2t. Can you confirm that they are actually running on different frequencies for 27A,B & C. Or does that only refer to the switch on the back with the ‘dummy’ third position? Eg, does this 40B car respond to a CCG 40Mhz controller at all.
      :)uA

Participant

I can only infer from the toyeast site that they run on the 3 “channels”. The TOMY SBCG controllers are channel selectable, eg A,B or C. The LXX Super controllers aren’t.

As for running on the freq I’m not sure. I currently don’t have a working 40mhz controller. I do know though that the 40B super LXX car responds to my Smartland Micro MCV controller (the Smartlan tanks at toyeast) at 40Mhz so go figure……:approve:

ph2t.

Participant

Sounds like the 27A B & C freqs might be a bit of furfy, but I’d like to be proved wrong.

Participant

i know this is not a perfection clone but i was doin a search on ebay for LXX stuff and came across this buyer. he selling what appear to be first series clone LXX with ferrari bodies and a spare skyline body for only $2.99 US plus shipping heres an example of his stuff

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2565&item=3161214930

now that price is cheaper then buyin a ferrari body at toyeast. he is also selling light beatles for like $1 aswell.
      he also has lambos aswell

btw this is the same guy who sellin cheap as rc planes!

Edited by – TallduDe on 11 December 2003 20:43:30

Participant

He also charges you $13UD for shipping!

Participant

Yeah, they will get you on price one way or the other. I have dealt with this guy in the past and not had any problem at all.

Participant

ive ordered a super perfection 1 out of toyeast along with another $200 of micro rc stuff.
      THE SITE IS SSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CHEEP!
      Most Stuff is 1/4 of their usual prices. AMAZING!

Eat right,exersize…die anyway!

Participant

confirmed: the perfection sbcg’s are on the freq’s stated. i got an awesome tomy enzo (40a) and there is no interferance fom the clone (40c).

murcilago shell looks so good and the blue tip 3.5 running with 12:1 gears is a dream come true.

Participant

good to hear Z…..what do you think of the perfection clone?

Participant

I have a few of these too. I love them. They do come in the seperate freqs, as stated, but some of the freqs are on original bit channels. For example, my 27mhz “a” controller will control my 27mhz tomy original bcg’s, but the other freqs I have don’t interfere at all. It’s nice because I now have 5 different 40mhz that don’t interefere with each other. I think the “a” series of these cars are on the same old freq, but the “b” and “c” series are on seperate freqs within the same band. i.e. “a” = 27mhz, “b” = 27.125mhz, and “c” = 27.5mhz. You can check my gallery to see some more pics of one of the lambos. Already fet modded and dual-celled one. Love the way it runs.

Participant

I am not so sure about those frequencies on the Super Perfections.
      I have a 40A here and it is controlled by a 35Mhz controller, and there doesnt look to be any difference in the circuit boards either, all standard Lxx.
      I’d like to see a full test of the Lxx SP freqs, I think you will find they are just the standard freqs we have been working with.
      Hachi-Ryoku, its not really possible to do the type of receiver circuit that the Lxx use (a super regenerative) in as close freqs as 0.125Mhz, they just arent that sensitive. They would need an Rx crystal for that, and they havent got them.

Ph2t, the Lxx cars seem to run better because they are using the D9D/B9D transistor pair, the late version Tomy cars are using the KEY/KIY transistor pair which are slightly higher resistance. They did originally use the 9D pairs in their early cars and booster machines but changed to the KY sets, must have been cheaper for them I suppose.
      The Super BCGs are again using the 9Ds thats why they go a bit better than the series 1 bcgs.

Participant

the clone does fall a couple of mm short (and in bit terms thats quite a lot). the shells are nice but sitting next to the tomy ones the flaws show through…

me thinks the perfection company have a scam system of getting all of tomy’s slightly faulty pressing equipment hence the extra flash ( excess plastic along mold lines) and off center logos e.t.c. unfortunatly perfection didn’t get any of the chassis molds as a true clone of tomy sbcg’s would have been nice for modding and parts. the rims are nice and shiny but the unclip feature of sbcg aint there.

performance wise it’s the best clone available, but it aint as good as the enzo,contach or porche.

keeping it on permanant boost tho. half speed sux.

micro: the sbcg’s definatly have a litle more grunt in the power department, for steering and drive which is extremely welcome.

Participant

How would they be getting two 40mhz cars to run at the same time? I figure there’s gotta be some kind of frequency split.

OR……

If the basic tx/rx comunication is in beeps, then the 40mhz “a” may work with 1~4 beeps. For example;
      1 beep = forward
      2 beeps = back
      3 beeps = right
      4 beeps = left

Now lets say the 40mhz “b” works with beeps of 5~8. So,
      5 beeps = forward
      6 beeps = back, etc……

I know the techy term isn’t beeps, but it’s what I remember from the books I’ve read. Am I on the right track, or am I totally lost?

Participant

Thi applies only to the LXX super cars…
      Re having 2 cars on 40Mhz, what I am saying is that THEY ARE NOT BOTH ON 40Mhz. The 40A I have here runs perfectly on 35Mhz, I think it is a 35Mhz car.
      I think that the 27a,b,c and 40a,b,c frequencies labelling is not correct and (just a hunch) but I think that the frequencies go something like this….
      27A = 27Mhz
      27B = 35Mhz
      27C = 45mhz (or 40Mhz ?)
      and
      40A = 35Mhz
      40B = 45Mhz
      40C = 57Mhz
      Or something along those lines.
      Because in the first generation of Lxx booster cars they did have all 6 frequencies (27,35,40,45,49,57) I think they have just used these and label them (market them) as 27ABD and 40ABC because Tomy do. (Tomy’s cars ARE actually variations on 27MHZ and 40MHZ)
      Give it a try, get your LXX super car, charge it up and try and control it with a tomy booster controller (a 4B if you have one). My feeling is that it will control it, unless you are using a 40 or 49Mhz cars that are not on the 4B controller.
      Just a hunch, but i’d like to know if I’m right.

Participant

Hey uA, I just came to the same conclusion since my 40b super lxx controls 49 Mhz car and vice versa. They just took the old frequencies and “rename” them except 49 mhz which wasn`t available before…I wonder if thats legal…

Participant

Legal? who knows.Misrepresentation? probably.
      Keep in mind they are cheap clones, they have improved the chassis on the supers anyway so thats something.
      Ok, so lets start a list from cars tested…

27A is controlled by..?
      27B is controlled by..?
      27C is controlled by..?

40A is controlled by..35Mhz
      40B is controlled by..49Mhz
      40C is controlled by..?

I’ll add to this as people post results.

Participant

well i can add my 2c now, just got a 27 mhz A.
      first i gotta say i received my toyeast order in 6 days via surface mail in perfect condition! the extra shipping is well worth it.:)
      first impressions i found a lotta flaws,poor quality paint job, a steering coil not glued in, wonky rear wheels, steering arm pops off the knuckles. but these are probs i can fix. having said that i would still buy another one, love the tyre set and the batt, the controller feels good, and the chassis is clear! (wooo!). they’re cheap enough to just buy for parts!
      i did some testing with my 27 mhz controllers. i used;

enertec micro charger
      2 clones
      dragon micro x tech tank
      clone 35mhz

the only tx that got a response from the car was the enertec 2 speed and all it did was twitch a bit. the 27 A tx got no response from any of my cars.
      overall i’m very happy with this little package, despite it’s flaws. and i’d buy them again:8ball:

Participant

sorry micro, the 40c (clone)cannot be controlled with any of my three 57mhz controllers (one of which is the tomy multi freq)

Participant

i’d definatly pay the extra 10 usd for an original tomy. the shell alone is worth it. a working enzo model for under $40 aus is almost unbeleiveable.

Participant

Z beam, my suggestion of the 40c being 57mhz was a guess, perhaps its a 40 or 49mhz that you dont have on the Tomy 4B. I have some of those cars coming so I’ll check them out when they arrive.

Participant

cool. i got a 49 clone somewhere too. i’ll give it a go as well.

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.