Save the Servo gears

Viewing 59 reply threads
  • Author
      peteWah
      Participant

Can anybody think of a way to insulate or protect servo gears in big accidents/shunts
      Do you think a servo saver would be a good addition to a MRO1/MRO2, And dose anybody on aus have the brains to implement or practice or have any theroys as to how this could be done if at all…

The cars keep going faster ! ! !

betty.k
      Participant

alloy servo gears.:D:8ball:

betty.k
      Participant

alloy servo gears.:D:8ball:

TallduDe
      Participant

yeah metal is the only way im afraid if you really are protective about your servo gears.

but remember it took a very long time to break those gears pete. other drivers on the other hand need to invest big time in metal servo gears you know who they are! :p

TallduDe
      Participant

yeah metal is the only way im afraid if you really are protective about your servo gears.

but remember it took a very long time to break those gears pete. other drivers on the other hand need to invest big time in metal servo gears you know who they are! :p

ph2t
      Participant

mr02’s come with a servo saver.

ph2t
      Participant

mr02’s come with a servo saver.

dgs73
      Participant

this was sooo obvious Pete… alloy alloy ALLOY!! :p

dgs73
      Participant

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

You can get away with just one alloy gear, the first one, but this, on big impacts will break the 2nd gear. Since i had broken like 6 1st servo gears, i had plenty of 2nds left.

I’d say go alloy 1st, you have to have a BIG crash to break the 2nd…..i.e. hit something at 40km/h would break something.

If you go all alloy, then its going to be tie rods/knuckles that are the weak point, ask betty.k , he has all 3 alloy gears.

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

You can get away with just one alloy gear, the first one, but this, on big impacts will break the 2nd gear. Since i had broken like 6 1st servo gears, i had plenty of 2nds left.

I’d say go alloy 1st, you have to have a BIG crash to break the 2nd…..i.e. hit something at 40km/h would break something.

If you go all alloy, then its going to be tie rods/knuckles that are the weak point, ask betty.k , he has all 3 alloy gears.

betty.k
      Participant

i was pretty lucky with servo gears. i found a good deal on ebay for a full set, normaly us$10 – 12 each:shock:i only ever managed to break one plastic servo gear, the 2nd. and that was a few days before the alloys arrived anyway. i’ve got a full alloy front end now, i never wanna deal with busted steering again!:approve::8ball:

betty.k
      Participant

i was pretty lucky with servo gears. i found a good deal on ebay for a full set, normaly us$10 – 12 each:shock:i only ever managed to break one plastic servo gear, the 2nd. and that was a few days before the alloys arrived anyway. i’ve got a full alloy front end now, i never wanna deal with busted steering again!:approve::8ball:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

i paid 22USD for a gpm one blackeye:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

i paid 22USD for a gpm one blackeye:

peteWah
      Participant
      Quote:

fuck dude, if you dont ask questions you dont get answers….

peteWah
      Participant
      Quote:

fuck dude, if you dont ask questions you dont get answers….

dgs73
      Participant

you dont ask the questions when the answer is so obvious!!:smiley2:

dgs73
      Participant

you dont ask the questions when the answer is so obvious!!:smiley2:

merc-blue
      Participant

lol.. guys the alloy thing is wrong.. as we all know betty lost a few to the place were all the destroyed servo gears go.. (its a pretty big place).. i think we need to work out a way to get mr02 servo savers addapted.. maybe even a direct servo swap

merc-blue
      Participant

lol.. guys the alloy thing is wrong.. as we all know betty lost a few to the place were all the destroyed servo gears go.. (its a pretty big place).. i think we need to work out a way to get mr02 servo savers addapted.. maybe even a direct servo swap

betty.k
      Participant

it’s true, i’m outta ideas on the subject now!:8ball:

betty.k
      Participant

it’s true, i’m outta ideas on the subject now!:8ball:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Solution: Don’t Fucken crash

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

peteWah
      Participant

Or get a MRO2 (now i know) and it seems alloy is not the answer….(sorry betty)
      Its where you get hit at the front end that makes all the diff…
      and more often then not contact at high speed when in mid turn puts extra strain on the gears itself…more so if there is contact to the front wheels when turning…
      You know what im trying to say.:smiley2:
      :D:smiley2::smiley2::smiley2:

peteWah
      Participant

Or get a MRO2 (now i know) and it seems alloy is not the answer….(sorry betty)
      Its where you get hit at the front end that makes all the diff…
      and more often then not contact at high speed when in mid turn puts extra strain on the gears itself…more so if there is contact to the front wheels when turning…
      You know what im trying to say.:smiley2:
      :D:smiley2::smiley2::smiley2:

dgs73
      Participant
      Quote:

says it all, but oh so hard to avoid sometimes

dgs73
      Participant
      Quote:

says it all, but oh so hard to avoid sometimes

betty.k
      Participant

after going back to plastic servo gears my steering is much smoother. but it looks like the metal servo gears aren’t alloy after all, so there’s a good chance i can repair them with some solder.

don’t crash? well it’s happening less and less now. i think i’m getting better at this driving caper!:smiley2::8ball:

betty.k
      Participant

after going back to plastic servo gears my steering is much smoother. but it looks like the metal servo gears aren’t alloy after all, so there’s a good chance i can repair them with some solder.

don’t crash? well it’s happening less and less now. i think i’m getting better at this driving caper!:smiley2::8ball:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

trent, you must realise that alloy does not mean aluminium…..

An alloy is a mixture of 2 or more different metals, so chances are it’s alloy, but maybe not aluminium alloy.

My GPM servo gear kinda looks weird, some dodgy cast stuff…

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

trent, you must realise that alloy does not mean aluminium…..

An alloy is a mixture of 2 or more different metals, so chances are it’s alloy, but maybe not aluminium alloy.

My GPM servo gear kinda looks weird, some dodgy cast stuff…

TallduDe
      Participant

so your saying that these alloy gears look dodgie? not worth it?

would it be better to use replacement kyosho stuff instead?

TallduDe
      Participant

so your saying that these alloy gears look dodgie? not worth it?

would it be better to use replacement kyosho stuff instead?

betty.k
      Participant

the alloy servo gears were much stronger than the plastic ones, it took a really big hit to break the alloys. you sydney siders have the added advantage of being far away from merc “mr damage” blueblackeye::8ball:

betty.k
      Participant

the alloy servo gears were much stronger than the plastic ones, it took a really big hit to break the alloys. you sydney siders have the added advantage of being far away from merc “mr damage” blueblackeye::8ball:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Alloy gears are very strong, and take a real beating, as you know the stock 1st gear breaks very easily so just a 3rd alloy will do, trent is just a freak don’t take any notice of what he does..:D:D

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Alloy gears are very strong, and take a real beating, as you know the stock 1st gear breaks very easily so just a 3rd alloy will do, trent is just a freak don’t take any notice of what he does..:D:D

PandaBear
      Participant

How come no one invents a bumper/overrider to absorb the impact instead of the poor wheels taking all the hit?? 🙁

PandaBear
      Participant

How come no one invents a bumper/overrider to absorb the impact instead of the poor wheels taking all the hit?? 🙁

TallduDe
      Participant

good point, ive seen bumpers for sale for certain bodies of mini z but not all of them.

i suppose have a huge arse bumper would make it look out of scale but if it protects the servo gears could be handy for some (looks at Bettyk)

TallduDe
      Participant

good point, ive seen bumpers for sale for certain bodies of mini z but not all of them.

i suppose have a huge arse bumper would make it look out of scale but if it protects the servo gears could be handy for some (looks at Bettyk)

ph2t
      Participant

trust me this is nothing. I saw a poor little kid on the w/e get his whole frontend smashed up (1/10 scale) when another car hit him side on, pow! The poor dude spent the rest of the day at the workbench…..

besides, the achillies heel in betty’s setup was the fact that EVERYTHING was alloy. not just the servo gears, but the tie rod and knuckles as well.

I have my 1st servo gear as alloy, but my 2nd and 3rd are 3 racing black delrin ones. My tie rod is PLASTIC, not alloy. Since going to this config I’ve barely had any issues…..

We’ll that and DRIVE WITH YOUR SHELLS ON PEOPLE!!!!!!

ph2t.

ph2t
      Participant

trust me this is nothing. I saw a poor little kid on the w/e get his whole frontend smashed up (1/10 scale) when another car hit him side on, pow! The poor dude spent the rest of the day at the workbench…..

besides, the achillies heel in betty’s setup was the fact that EVERYTHING was alloy. not just the servo gears, but the tie rod and knuckles as well.

I have my 1st servo gear as alloy, but my 2nd and 3rd are 3 racing black delrin ones. My tie rod is PLASTIC, not alloy. Since going to this config I’ve barely had any issues…..

We’ll that and DRIVE WITH YOUR SHELLS ON PEOPLE!!!!!!

ph2t.

betty.k
      Participant

driving with the body like this didn’t help things either!:8ball:
      MVC-15S.jpg

betty.k
      Participant

driving with the body like this didn’t help things either!:8ball:
      MVC-15S.jpg

TallduDe
      Participant

how fast was that skyline going at point of impact! and what did you hit man….

coz on the weekend dgs had a head on with my car at full pelt and it drove away with no damage! (his car is a fett modd car runing a hot motor with a iwaver skyline body) the crash pushed in my gear pinon and moved my tire off the rim.

TallduDe
      Participant

how fast was that skyline going at point of impact! and what did you hit man….

coz on the weekend dgs had a head on with my car at full pelt and it drove away with no damage! (his car is a fett modd car runing a hot motor with a iwaver skyline body) the crash pushed in my gear pinon and moved my tire off the rim.

merc-blue
      Participant

wat did i break betty i damaged the shell abit ther servo gears broke when u rolled it in the top corner

merc-blue
      Participant

wat did i break betty i damaged the shell abit ther servo gears broke when u rolled it in the top corner

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I was using kyosho delrin 2nd and 3rd, GPM alloy 1sy, topcad tie rod and topcad 1 degree knuckles, and only ever broke something (the 2nd servo gear) when i whacked it at full noise…

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

I was using kyosho delrin 2nd and 3rd, GPM alloy 1sy, topcad tie rod and topcad 1 degree knuckles, and only ever broke something (the 2nd servo gear) when i whacked it at full noise…

betty.k
      Participant

i had a few nasty knocks throughout the day, i think cutting out the grills weakened the front as well. it was mostly superglue by the time me an’ merc’s mini had some cool neck and neck racing. i think i spun out in front of him and it was bye bye skyline!:dead:
      my issues were with the full alloy servo gears. they just don’t mesh as smoothly as the plastic ones. i think jamies setup is a better option:8ball:

betty.k
      Participant

i had a few nasty knocks throughout the day, i think cutting out the grills weakened the front as well. it was mostly superglue by the time me an’ merc’s mini had some cool neck and neck racing. i think i spun out in front of him and it was bye bye skyline!:dead:
      my issues were with the full alloy servo gears. they just don’t mesh as smoothly as the plastic ones. i think jamies setup is a better option:8ball:

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

The thing is, something has to be sacraficial, a servo saver is the best option, and they have saved my buns many times in the past, but there aint one for the MR01.

If you make everything alloy, something still has to give…..

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

The thing is, something has to be sacraficial, a servo saver is the best option, and they have saved my buns many times in the past, but there aint one for the MR01.

If you make everything alloy, something still has to give…..

peteWah
      Participant

Here is a bumper for a MRO1, This may help:smiley2:

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=144_21_76_471&products_id=193

:D:D:smiley2:

dgs73
      Participant
      Quote:

http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=144_21_76_471&products_id=193

cheeky little tacker…:smiley2::D
      something else to break, dat’s all

kevsta
      Participant
      Quote:
      Quote:

cheeky little tacker…:smiley2::D
      something else to break, dat’s all

I got a feeling that any hard head on smashes with that thing attached will end up stripping the screws in the chassis that hold it on.

Oh, and it will only fit cars that don’t have a low front spoiler.
      🙂

Viewing 59 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.