Skyline Booster Range

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

Just bought a 57Mhz skyline booster set with 3.0 motor and 2.2 motor.

This obviously comes with the 4 channel controller, and when built, the range was about 2 foot.

This is NO good whatsoever.

Does anyone know how to (drastically) improve this 2 foot range?

I`ve got a 57Mhz NORMAL Scooby, and this had NO crippling capacitor. It`s range is fine. So, i naturally looked inside my new booster controller, and can`t see the “crippling capacitor”.

Why is the range so poor?

Cheers, a very disappointed Manguish…

Admin
      Participant

I had exactly the same problem. I have a Skyline 27Mhz Booster set and the range was about 3ft as standard but after fitting a retractable aerial, I get about 6 feet. Still bloody poor compared to my 15-20ft range of my Leyu and TT OEM Regular bits. Someone posted a 20ft result after an aerial mod but I havent found the details.

Admin
      Participant

Oh. Where`d you get ya retractable aerial from?

Disappointed, cos i`ve a 57mhz scooby (normal one) and it`s class.

Admin
      Participant

I searched all over for a bloody retractable aerial but found nothing suitable…even at Maplins. Ended up buying a really cheapo nasty radio in one of those cheapo nasty shops (sub market quality!!) and whipping off the aerial. Fits nice but it doesnt increase the range that much.

infinite
      Participant

my booster range use to suck too, but i changed the antenna on my remote and i changed the antenna on my car as well. i replaced the car antenna with telephone wire that you run along the wall, cause it has a solid copper core and my antenna on my remote is like 1 1/2ft now. after all the modifiying, i get like 50ft of range now.

Chewy
      Participant

Do you have binoculars to see what your Char-G is doing when it’s 50 feet away? :smiley1:

infinite
      Participant

well i’m estimating it’s about 50ft, cause i was on the third floor of my house and i told my brother to keep going down the house until the car stopped moving, but he was all the way into the basement and it was still going strong.

Admin
      Participant

infinite…what did you replace the booster antenna with?

infinite
      Participant

all i did was go to my local electronics shop and bought a telescopic antenna, the ones you see on radios.

Admin
      Participant

Is there any specs on the exact telescopic anteanna you got ??

Thanks

infinite
      Participant

what kind of specs do you need?? it’s about 1 1/2 ft long it’s about 5mm in width.

Admin
      Participant

can you ewxplain a bit more the wire that you used to replace the antenna on your car?

Admin
      Participant

can you please expand a bit more on the wire that you used to change the ariel on your car??

infinite
      Participant

the antenna i used was just your typical telescopic antenna that you find on am/fm radio’s… i’m sure that you’ll be able to find one at your local electronics store.

infinite
      Participant

Attached Image

infinite
      Participant

Attached Image

Admin
      Participant

Hey infinite

I get what kinda antenna your using for your controller, but youv also cahnged the antenna in your car right ?? Can you tell us a little more about that ?? Greatly appreciated, its a great mod, well done 🙂

infinite
      Participant

i just used a regular telescopic antenna for the remote that i found at my local electronics store.

The wire i used for my car is just regular i think CAT1 wire that you find in the telephone cord that you run along the walls of your house. it’s good cause it has a solid copper core, but it’s a little bit heavier than the standard antenna that you get with your car.

Admin
      Participant

How long is the antenna off the car? it looks massive…

With the booster controller I get only a little under standard range on a normal bit but 2ft tops on bot my boosters. This leads me to believe the problem exists in both the booster and controller, but mainly in the booster…

-dan

infinite
      Participant

well my antenna for my car is no longer than 5inches.. but it’s a little heavier than the regular antenna, so it’s made my car a little prone to flipping..

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.