small problem on chassis.. ideas please..

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      icebreaka
      Participant

Hi,

The slot on the chassis where the heat sink connects to, has a small crack and now the heatsink wont stay..

I’ve already tried to epoxy it together but to no avail.. any ideas?

my last option would be to get a $10 chassis from JNH :dead:

NSR34
      Participant

hey man, this aint a good thing to do but bend the arm from the heat sink back a bit to releive a lot of pressure, not a permanent fix but will last a while,then get a $10 spare chassis. 😀

icebreaka
      Participant

LoL .. i already done that last week and snapped the heatsink.. then i got a replacement just today from micro for $3 n i dont wanna break that one :smiley16:

Edited by – icebreaka on 24 October 2003 01:08:23

micro_Amps
      Participant

We had a thread on this not to long ago, but I jus re-read thru it and not alot came out of it.
      There was one good idea work a try, it was posted by b007a, ….

To fix the split lip … try this.

Drill a very small hole on either side of the slot. Use a small bit … I found one at the hardware store in a hand drill in the welding supply area. Not sure what the drill is used for but within the drill handle are a bunch of small drill bits … about the size of ones used to drill holes for PCBs. The hand drill looks like an Exacto knife.

Anyway … put a wire through the holes and twist to bring the split together.

NOW, if you drill too far forward then the body will not go on and if you drill too far back the heatsink lip will catch the wire (or not go in at all).

I have not tried my own advice, as I have not split the lip on any chassis, yet.

Sound like it could work.
      :)uA

DaveF
      Participant

Just like getting rid of Cowboy X… “It’s so crazy it just might work.”

icebreaka
      Participant

hmm.. well atm i melted it and half of it is melted down :S .. but the heatsink is sticking lol.. jus gets disconnected occasionally… maybe i’ll try epoxy again..

btw thnx for the suggestion.. 🙂 i might try it someday……….. someday.. 🙂

HACHI-RYOKU
      Participant

I just glue it with super glue, wait a few hours, glue it again, wait a few hours, glew it again, then finally wait like a day or so. Use a file to trim it down so it will fit back into the slot. This method makes a very strong bond that wont be broken by anything short of throwing it against the wall. If that doesn’t work, then buy better glue. Also, don’t run it while you’re waiting for the glue to fully dry.

Duct tape and super glue will actually fix anything.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.