-sorry for this- buying an iWaver…

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
      Prowler3
      Participant

Hey everyone!

..i was a member here ages ago mostly in the char-G area..and my experience pretty much covers that and superslicks from Toys R us LOL..cheap fun… but anyway

i was looking at some larger scale RC cars…i like the look of xmods..but i dont like the Idea of having to get one shipped over here at a chance of it not working. i was thinking of something like the ‘iWaver 02 F1 GTR’ which is in the firelap 2.0 section of the ausmicro store and i think is RTR

from what i can tell the MR02 chassis is most popular..and the iWaver is a clone of it…what makes this chassis better than others?

does this also mean the majority of parts for mini-Z MR02 will run happily on a iWaver MR02?

If anyone has any general feedback on these iWavers it would be much appreicated or any general wisdom on what im tryna 🙂

sorry for the nooby questions too

see ya & thx

betty.k
      Participant

if you do want an xmod that’s guaranteed to work you could ask a ‘merikan like sg219 to buy one and test it before shipping.
      radio shack are having some great sales at the moment so if you’re gunna the now’s a good time.

the 02 (iwaver or kyosho) is highly regarded as a track car thanks to it’s nice low center of gravity and tunability. i wouldn’t go saying it’s the “best”, a lot of people are starting to favour the 4wd ma010 but for me personally i’m sticking with my 02.

kyosho vs iwaver? well iwaver is a copy of kyosho. they’re about 1/3 the price and about 1/3 the quality. that’s not to say iwaver is crap but if you can afford it go with kyosho.
      but i started out in the 1:28’s with an iwaver, it’s not as nerve racking working on a cheapy compared to a kyosho:D
      iwavers are a good way to get started in 1:28;) :8ball:

kevsta
      Participant

I’ve also just placed an order for an iwaver02. From little reading it seems most people just replace the iw chassis with the kyosho one and get alloy front knuckles for durability. Parts are interchangeable between iw02 and mr02 but not with iw02m.

Keymaster

Yep, the iWavers are mucho improved compared to what they used to be. The IW02 we’re seeing now are very good out of the box, and when the new IW02M arrive they’re (we’ve been promised) a leap again.

We do have the Genuine Kyosho and the iWaver 02 RTR (Ready to Run) sets in stock at the moment, and really it does come down to a choice of budget. The iWaver is a great entry level, get familar with teh scale etc and enjoy it. The Kyosho is twice the price and if you don’t enjoy the scale then there’s more “lost” if you know what I mean?

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Kerosene
      Participant

If you can pick up a cheap iWaver then go for it. They’re pretty good value as long as you don’t get a dud. But as Betty said, if you can afford it then get a Kyosho – they’re a million times better (especially the TX). BUT I’ve never used an IW02, only the older ones.

As for MR-02 vs MA-010, you should see if you can try them yourself. I much prefer the MR-02 for cheap thrills, but the MA-010 is a much more stable and manageable car for racing.

blabla :p

aussiexmodder
      Participant

im an Xmods racer all the way. I get mine over the internet at atomicmods.com

merc-blue
      Participant

I had few MR01s in my day and never really held onto them as they didnt drive but recently got a MR02 and i LOVE IT its handles soo well,

Prowler3
      Participant

oh k, thx for that..now for my round 2 of questions LOL

1…a few of you mentioned quality of the iWaver…is it decent, but just not prefessional grade? like how does it compare in strength and materials etc to xmods? what do i have to do to break one while driving? etc

2. What does the changing from an iWaver to Kyosho chassis involve? is it a difficult process? i imagine there would be some steering servo or something to be transfered?

3. what is the run time of these cars generally? do they run on standard sized batteries..or do they have internal rechargables?

4. is this product

http://shop.ausmicro.net/product_info.php?cPath=21_41_32&products_id=528

a ready to run, everything i need, 02 chassis clone..’nothing else needed’ pack? it didnt say RTR on it so i was confused..sorry

Anyway thanks heaps for your help..i remember why i liked ausmicro 🙂 see ya and sorry for being a newbie..lol

merc-blue
      Participant

1, iwaver arent bad just not on the same level and kyosho, but a few crashes will break a few bits once reaplced with aftermarket bits theyre fine from what i have seen/read

2, bassicaly unscrewing the whole thing a reassembling it all into a new case its not THAT hard you will have to dismantle it eventually aslong as you keep the parts organised

3,they run on 4 AAA cells, so buying a few sets of rechargeable AAAs is recomended, runtimes can vary fomr 5 minutes out to 30 minutes depending on motors gearing and how agressivly its being driven

4, all you need with that is 8 AA batterys for the transmitter and 4 AAA for the car

Ogier
      Participant

I’ve had an iWaver 01 for a couple of months now, along with a dozen other people at work.

They are great fun, but mine handles like dogs balls – it spins on it’s own when it picks up a little speed, so I race in reverse 🙂 Unfortunately running into things backwards does more damage than forwards.

The other people with 01s have pretty good handling.
      I’ve picked up a second hand 01 cheaply and it has the good handling that I’ve been envious of, so I’m using my original one as spares now.

With the stock motor and gearing and a set of 900mAh AAAs, I’m sure I got 1 hour run time (4×15 minute session) but much of that was chasing the cat in our small loungeroom. 🙂 ie: mostly low speed.
      Now with a iWaver x-speed +Plus motor, it’s about 15 to 20 minutes before steering stops working due to low batteries, but the motor is drawing more amps and still goes fast, straight into the first wall!

One guy has an iWaver 02 and it seems to be quick, handle well and is a lighter car. We’ve got 20 iWavers coming in as a group buy in a week or 2 as most of us are upgrading. 🙂 They are good fun, especially in the office.

Graham.

kevsta
      Participant
      Ogier wrote:
      They are great fun, but mine handles like dogs balls – it spins on it’s own when it picks up a little speed, so I race in reverse 🙂 Unfortunately running into things backwards does more damage than forwards.

Part of the fun with these cars is to work out why the car is handling bad and to improve on it so that it out handles the competition. Have you checked that the h plate isn’t tweaked/not perfectly flat, one of your front wheel nuts isn’t on too tight or adjusted your ball diff so that there is minimal slip ?

Wish I could race in the office like yourself.

Ogier
      Participant

I’ve gone through so much on this car that it’s just frustrating. I’m sure there’s something that I’ve missed though.

H-Plate, one was tweaked but I’ve tried (and broken) 3 of them now, not all of them can be wonky. 🙂

Yep, the office has gone crazy on 1/28s.
      My boss wants one, his boss has one and his boss is on the list for one in the group by. All we have to do is go up 2 more bosses & we hit the CEO 🙂

Prowler3
      Participant

this should be my last couple oo questions, thanks to you all for being so helpful….to me it seems kyosho MR-02 is the biz…and all thought i like the keep my money in this country..it appears that i can get these shipped to me for approx $200 which seems a bargain.

http://www.angolz.com/home/productDetails.aspx?PLU=0000300427&catId=121

http://www.angolz.com/home/productDetails.aspx?PLU=0000101075&catId=121

something like that i was thinking….does RM and MM refer to engine mounting? rear and middle? does this really affect handling? or mostly autoscale body choices?

anyway..thx again

betty.k
      Participant

does RM and MM refer to engine mounting? rear and middle?

yup, rm = rear mount, mm = mid mount

does this really affect handling?

probably, the motor is a big part of the cars weight. i personally like the mm configuration, brings the center of gravity more in to the middle

or mostly autoscale body choices?

there’s a difference in wheelbase between mm and rm so you have to select a body that matches. :8ball:

Admin
      Participant

The shop here at ausmicro has Iwavers 02m in stock according to their site.

Keymaster

We wish – I’ve got to update the store listings as iWaver has b=pushed back the launch date… Again….

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

mini-g
      Participant

good to here some more mini-z’s are kicking around sydney. Prowler, did you used to come down medowbank?????

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.