Spider v3.0 Preview!

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Spider v3.0
      Here’s a pic of the board – they arrived from fabrication yesterday and I haven’t had a chance to run one through production yet, but lets just say they’re small….

Over 40% SMALLER than the Spider v2 family cementing it’s place as the smallest PRODUCTION Turbo on the market that retains all Brake function and works with Mini-Z, iWaver and Xmods.

First production samples will be released to a test team over the next few days, and Sales will commence directly after Easter.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

kevsta
      Participant

Wow look at the size of that. That is definitely tiny.

I’m getting tempted now.

klims
      Participant

thats pretty impressive Aaron.

i have been looking at the 3 chip setup you were talking about. looks interesting. do gates tend to “pull high” or “pull low” or whatever? i guess i’d have to do some testing to find out…

rcs2die4
      Participant

That’s damn small !!!

Keymaster

@klims 225266 wrote:

thats pretty impressive Aaron.

i have been looking at the 3 chip setup you were talking about. looks interesting. do gates tend to “pull high” or “pull low” or whatever? i guess i’d have to do some testing to find out…

Varies for chip to chip, some types tend high, others low… But it does work (well the FETs we currently use in Spider) with a IRF7317 type working as one half of the pairs.

I had a quick sketch of the 3 chipper, but couldn’t do the size that well. The foot print wouldn’t decrease and most likely increase above the v3 and that was my primary aim – to have the “smallest” and well and truely stake the claim on that title.

Over the life of this base design we’re planning a v3.1 (Lightweight microwire) for internal installs and a v3.2 (RoHS Lead-Free)

v3.3 will see the adoption of “S’n’P” that takes the idea of external turbos to a level never seen before….

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

klims
      Participant

3.1 internal? wow you have really been doing some serious design and testing. where does it fit? is it in the place of the old mosfets?

so is this board double sided? looks like you have some vias happening, or are they just for heat…

so what does this ” S’n’P ” mean? i’ve never heard of it.

cagefreak
      Participant

lol, I really can’t tell since I’m not familiar with your currency. If that coin is anything like an american quarter then that’s damn small. Great job.

<

is getting overly excited.

klims
      Participant

smaler than a quarter. closer to a dime… thats next size up from a penny right?

betty.k
      Participant

size does matter! :topstuff: :8ball:

rcs2die4
      Participant

LoL !!!! :topstuff:

Admin
      Participant

@Aaron 225263 wrote:

Spider v3.0…works with Mini-Z, iWaver and Xmods.A.

Can we use it with Team Losi 1/36 Micro T, too ?

Keymaster

@klims 225270 wrote:

3.1 internal? wow you have really been doing some serious design and testing. where does it fit? is it in the place of the old mosfets?

so is this board double sided? looks like you have some vias happening, or are they just for heat…

so what does this ” S’n’P ” mean? i’ve never heard of it.

On a MR01 it can fit above the steering fets, ie between the servo and the main PCB (Spider v2 fitted there)… On a MR02 we can expect to squeeze it above the old stock FET lcoation. AWD may be possible in the stock FET location.

Yup double sided, we went double sided with the v2.0 and never looked back. As per usual our boards are fabbed on 0.7mm thick double sided material with proper green stuff screened over the boards to protect everything.

You’ll have to wait a bit (months) for “S’n’P” to break cover, but it will revolutionise the concept of turbos. You will finally be able to buy a turbo and enhance it to suit your needs.

And no “S’n’P” doesn’t mean “Smoke and Pray” 🙂

The 5c coin is small. and this thing can be trimmed (corners) to fit INSIDE the ring of the coin….

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Keymaster

@klims 225270 wrote:

looks like you have some vias happening, or are they just for heat…

The Vias are done to get the double sided thing happening, but we’ve also arranged them in such a way that we now get better heat sinking than a v2.1, a tall order considering the size drop, current paths are also better mapped and one of the key design faults in v2.1 has been well as truely addressed.

I’m out of town for the next week and then we’re into production!

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Keymaster

@RedTeam 225279 wrote:

I haven’t checked into the Losi Micro. The v3 platform with micro wiring would fit somewhere on it, but if it’s electronically compatiblem I wouldn’t know at this stage.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Admin
      Participant

@Aaron 225282 wrote:

I haven’t checked into the Losi Micro. The v3 platform with micro wiring would fit somewhere on it, but if it’s electronically compatiblem I wouldn’t know at this stage.

A.

Thanks a lot for your reply…then, we’re waiting for you to come back…Happy Easter !

betty.k
      Participant

@RedTeam 225279 wrote:

i think so, ph2t installed a nelly on his and it was a big boost in power :8ball:

ph2t
      Participant

yes, the spider will work a treat on the Micro-t, just like nelly does.

Well done Aaron! 🙂 Very nice work! See my motor and ‘tronics thread at rippers for info about hooking it up. I think we still use different colour codes though, lol, so users beware! ahah…

ph2t.

rcs2die4
      Participant

whats the addy for rippers

betty.k
      Participant

http://www.ripper7racing.com/

nice big micro t section :8ball:

rcs2die4
      Participant

thanks dude !!! :topstuff:

cagefreak
      Participant

easter has come and gone hehehe

Keymaster

Yeah – Had a few hiccups, took the big 1:1 trouble maker on a Club Cruise some 900km from Canberra, including a run through inland NSW. Ended up getting stuck needing some critical repairs in Coffs Harbour for two extra days.

Spider v3.0 Pic below showing the completed size. It’s wearing green at the moment, but the final production colour will be different again.

Also I’ve attached a pic showing the relative sizes of the PCBs.

From Left to Right:
      Spider v3.0, Spider v2.1 and lastly a Spider v1.1

--
      Site Owner Guy.

ph2t
      Participant

veeeeeeeery nice! bet i packs a punch too huh? lol…

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.