Spider v3.0 "Red Back" – Ready to Bite!

Home Forums Mini-Z, Mini-X, X-Mods and other Mini-Scale Mini-Z, Mini-X, X-Mods – Technical Spider v3.0 "Red Back" – Ready to Bite!

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • Author
      Keymaster

Spider v3.0, the latest incarnation of our famous external turbo has arrived

The new Spider version 3 platform takes performance to a new level by offering the same outstanding performance in a package 40% smaller than the Spider v2.1 it replaces.

The new Spider v3 will allow you to take modifications of your Mini-Z and Xmod to a new level thanks to the diminutive size. Never before has it been so easy to install the Spider Inside your racing chassis, with no wires to be seen outside the covers.

A Spider for every Chassis
      “Red back” has been tested on all current Mini-Z and Xmods PCBs and proven to have the same excellent performance as the v2.1. The tiny new size makes the Spider the best option to add real performance to your Mini-Z F1!

Spider v3 can be used with the Losi Micro-T, again the tiny size of the turbo is ideally suited to the awesome chassis!

Simple Choices:
      Spider v3 will be available in two models.

1. Regular
        • 22AWG motor and power wiring with eye terminals
        • 75mm data grade rainbow control leads
      2. Micro
        • Light & flexible power and motor wires
        • Ultra-fine Single core signal wires

Standard Features

• All Spiders include the following features:
      • 0.7mm commercially prepared solder masked PCB
      • Top-Grade IRF MOSFETS (Not samples or seconds)
      • Fully heatshrinked PCB for safety
      • Lightest and lowest possible profile of all External turbos

Order Now:
      Spider v3is fully compatible with the wiring layouts of the previous Spider, and a new Installation guide will be available soon.

How much does it cost?

Wholesale?
      Spider v3 is available in Wholesale quantities to resellers and integrators. Minimum order is 10 units pre-paid. Contact sales@ausmicro.com for pricing.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

betty.k
      Participant

that’s some tidy work there man, but i’m dissapointed that it doesn’t come in black heatshrink with a red stripe!:rolleyes: :8ball:

rcs2die4
      Participant

Very Nice, Cant wait !!

henal
      Participant

@betty.k 225420 wrote:

that’s some tidy work there man, but i’m dissapointed that it doesn’t come in black heatshrink with a red stripe!:rolleyes: :8ball:

yea im with betty with this it would be cooler with some red heatshrink with black strips or the other way around instage of just the green

Keymaster

Early production units are green for a reason. All full production will be Red 😉

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

betty.k
      Participant

you bloody ripper! :topstuff: :8ball:

betty.k
      Participant

for the benefit of our overseas friends (u.s., u.k., canada) here’s a side by side comparison of our coins. our 5c peice is about 1.4mm larger than a dime;) :8ball:

peteWah
      Participant

But remember people, colour will not add performance.

lol. I want a green 1 with black stripes

betty.k
      Participant

@peteWah 225450 wrote:

But remember people, colour will not add performance.

are you outta your mind??? everyone knows red goes faster!!:D

here’s a little comparison pic of our coins so those in the u.s., u.k, and canada can get some perspective of our 5c peice.
      it’s about 1.4mm larger than a dime;) :8ball:

henal
      Participant

omg.. wow that is small nice job man never thorth it woud be that small but can it handle like nelly turbo

hakhawk
      Participant

my god, that thing is tiny as. i never got my v1 working, might have to grab one of these and dig my cars out and have a play oneday.

Keymaster

The PCB for the v3 would fit inside the diamete of a Dime, but with the shrink etc it is Aussie 5c sized. Basically that was my target for this one. I can do smaller, but it becomes a production headache.

Power wise the Spiders and Nellys are all very similar until you step up the Nellys with the MOSFET Drivers. We all have access to the same FETs and it’s a difference of a few mOhm here and there depending on what load we use…

HakHawk, Spider v1? If you’ve got probs drop me a PM and we’ll sort out getting the chassis to me and I’ll get it running with a v3, assuming it’s not a dud main PCB 😉

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

hakhawk
      Participant

yeh, i think its a stuffed main board, its all in the shed in boxes somewhere, ive neglected it all quite a bit since im working on my big cars alot now.

Renton
      Participant

Is this beautiful looking piece of work and a nice quick motor going to get my AWD pumping or is it more set up for the f1’s

im not to tuned in with all this electronic talk, i do however want my car quick

Is there an easier motor upgrade not requiring any form of turbo?

Cheers

rcs2die4
      Participant

yeah you can just run the Kyosho X-Speed motor in the BB can !! No FET’s required !! But they do run a S#!T load better once you install a Fet stack or a V3.0 like mine !!!! hehe

Keymaster

@Renton 225537 wrote:

Is this beautiful looking piece of work and a nice quick motor going to get my AWD pumping or is it more set up for the f1’s

im not to tuned in with all this electronic talk, i do however want my car quick

Is there an easier motor upgrade not requiring any form of turbo?

Cheers

PN Speedy motor will do wonders for a car with stock FETs.

The Spider is reduced in size to make it more suitable for installing in any chassis, at the end of the day the electronics in the package deliver the same punch they always have!

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

cagefreak
      Participant

quick question, how many amps can the spider handle?

Admin
      Participant

Can anyone post any pictures of it installed? I just purchased one, hasnt arrived yet but wanted to see how some people installed it.

rcs2die4
      Participant

Hay UCDINH, Welcome to the forum !!!

I don’t know what chassis your going to install it in but here it is installed in my AWD chassis !!! 😉

I will be doing an install write up on it very soon !!

It’s a very tight fit but you can shoe horn it in …..

works extremely well !!!

TallduDe
      Participant

nice work there man

what type of motor you runiing and whats the top speed?

rcs2die4
      Participant

TA dude !

It’s got Kyosho AWD X-Speed guts installed in a BB case !!

With 1000mAh Sanyo’s and running 19/29 gearing it now has that much
      punch that within two runs it’s munched my rear drive gear (the one that
      drives the rear diff) so with that gear slipping I only got a 24k read out on
      the TSC but as we all know the AWD’s don’t read right on the TSC’s anyway !!!

It’s easily as fast as my MR01 ! With the same sanyo’s in it the MR01
      reads 51k’s and sometimes even 52 !! so yeah around that is closer to
      the top speed of my AWD !!

And with the handling of the AWD it makes for a real fun car to drive !!!

Admin
      Participant

Thanks for the pictures, I’m actually planning on running it on my overland, since my AWD and MR02 have fets already installed. Your install is nice and clean, i’ll post some pics after i’m done.

merc-blue
      Participant

Aaron any chance of a circuit diagram with purchase? cosidering whacking one into a Micro-T just need to know what wire dose what

Keymaster

Merc, wiring is the same as previous Spiders, and in the install doco. 🙂 Will dig it up later 😉

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Admin
      Participant

OMG… this thing is a rocket, I installed this in my overland, with a PN Anima motor, with 1000Mah Tenergy batteries, with high torque gears. It does wheelies forever until you let go of the trigger. I LOVE IT! My camera has a dead battery i’ll get pics up ASAP!

ph2t
      Participant

And this is why aussie external turbos (spider & nelly) are so great. Use top quality MOSFETS with real efficient characteristics and you will ALWAYS beat a fet stack, period.

Enjoy dude!

CowboySiR03
      Participant

Aaron, quick (maybe stupid question) for you…

I might be installing a newly purchased Spider onto a Xmod Evo…any chance you’d know the colour coding. I found the install doc. but I believe gen 1 and Evo wiring are possibly different.

Thanks.:D

jollyboss
      Participant

It should be the same as for the EVO nelly…am I wrong?

CowboySiR03
      Participant

If I’m not mistaken the wire coding is different.

Admin
      Participant

@ rcs2die4

I have installed several Spider2s on AWDs and cannot figure out how you are running the motor wires from the Spider. It looks like they are connected to the orginal Mini-Z PCB. I have always run the Motor wires from the Spider to the motor using a quick disconnect. Also, how are you are running the power wires to the Spider. I have always soldered them to the power clips from the chassis. Are you just screwing them in with the original chassis to PCB gang under the PCB?

Thanks!

rcs2die4
      Participant

Hay Nightcargo,

Have you read my install thread ??

http://www.ausmicro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14437

This should answer your questions but, if it doesn’t let us know and ill help in anyway I can !!!

Admin
      Participant

Hey Man thanks for the help!

I was looking in the wrong place. The install instructions used to be in the section where the spiders were sold. If I would have just looked at the top of this thread your awesome install notes were CLEARLY visible.

New to this forum and just a dumb noob error.

Thanks for not flaming and steering me in the right direction!

One question though. The old instructions made it seem that it was extremely critical to connect the spider power lines directly to the battery terminals. From my knowledge of electronics there really should not be any loss routing power your way. Have you noticed anything using your method?

Thanks!

NC out

rcs2die4
      Participant

LOL.. No probs dude !!!

I haven’t noticed any loss at all !! Works VERY well….

Keymaster

As of all units shipped this week the Red Backs have received a minor update to the FET package as part of the move to RoHS compliance.

The power/restistance characteristics are much the same, however the current ratings have risen to a continuous 13A with peak current still limited at 100A.

This means that more than ever Spider v3.0 is the premier choice for your Mini-Z and Xmods.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

hakhawk
      Participant

sounds good, got me an iwaver 02m in the mail, hopefully see it tuesday. had any chance to have a look at sticking a spider on these yet aaron? ill take some good close up pics of the pcb when i get it, hopefully it can be done.

wonder if my li-po’s still work, theyve been sitting in a box since i got em, still havent used them yet.

Keymaster

Re: IW02M – I will eventually pick one up. But it’s not on my priority list since our order with TE/iWaver fell through after close to 12 months of them having my cash.

Micro-T and new manual are coming first ulse I get sent IW02M by someone for testing.

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

CowboySiR03
      Participant

Still hoping for an answer about the v3 on an Evo xmod…it’d be kind of a shame to use it on that but I don’t have an un-modded Mini-Z boards A.T.M.

Keymaster

While a few people have installed the Spider turbos on Micro-Ts I haven’t had the opportunity to get hold of decent install photos.

So I’ve done a quick retouch to an old pic around for a Nelly Turbo. As you all know Nelly Turbos and Spiders do NOT use the same wiring.

I’ve attached the pic to this post.

Also for further reference on Micro-T installs:

• Remove FETs from both sides of board.
      • Remove motor wires
      • Solder Spider motor wires direct to motor
      • Solder Spider signal wires as per diagram to top of PCB
      • Power can be sourced from battery or point shown on PCB

--
      Site Owner Guy.

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.