Squeaky bit motors

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      peteWah
      Participant

Just recently_My bit motors started to make horrible squeaky squealy noises (WHY) sugesting to me that the motors were on there last legs…:dead:
      I was going to bin the motors when the idear of Singer Sewing Machine Oil came to mind…
      I applied the oil to the motors spindle while it was running bare
      and presto, I had never herd a bit sound so silent and i also noticed a speed increase SWEEEEEEET:)…

Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to fix it.

dgs73
      Participant

how did you run it “bare”? (I assume you mean not in the chassis.)

merc-blue
      Participant

easy just tape wites on and other side to a single AA

dgs73
      Participant

sorry, I know nothing, remember?:angry: Will give it a try tonight…:D

Edited by – dgs73 on 17 August 2004 15:56:06

peteWah
      Participant
      Quote:
      easy just tape wires on and other side to a single AA

No merc i did not run a AA batt on it, but i guess you could…:D

Dave i was running the motor in the chassis with no pinnion and just poured the oil on to the spindle itself and run the motor back and forward for a few charges, then cleaned up any spillage in the chassis afterwards, There was not much spillage but be carefull, You dont need much of this oil

You could do it the way Merc said to but i dont know where the neg – point is on a motor but the poss + it seems is clearly marked on most bit motors…

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

The bushings wear and cause chatter, due to the high RPM, the chatter is high frequency, sounding squeaky. Oil creates a layer between the shaft and the bushing which the shaft actually floats on.

Don’t worry, bit motors should last years if you treat em right…

betty.k
      Participant

i’ve had the same thing happen to me, and i cured it the same way you did. this also happens with larger motors that have bushings too.
      and jamie’s right, i dropped a motor in a cup of tea once! it never skipped a beat and still runs fine!:8ball:

peteWah
      Participant
      Quote:
      i’ve had the same thing happen to me, and i cured it the same way you did. this also happens with larger motors that have bushings too.
      and jamie’s right, i dropped a motor in a cup of tea once! it never skipped a beat and still runs fine!:8ball:

Tetley thats my cup of tea:D:D:smiley2:

When dgs was first into the mini z he had the same sort of noise come from a stock motor
      Ive never heard that noise come from a 540, nor do i wanna

jamiekulhanek
      Participant

Just remember these motors have an iron stack that will rust if not treated with wd40 (if the get moisture in em)

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.