Stacking Stock FETs

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      vroomvroom55
      Participant

I have 2 sets of stock xmods FETs taken from the evos, is it possible for me to stack those FETs on top of another car’s stock FETs so it becomes a 2*3 stack of stock FETs? Would this help the car? so maybe i could run one of those high end stock FET motors with lithiums, because the high end stock ones are ment to be ran with the stock batteries which are 4 AAAs. I realy need someones response because i have no idea if it will be good or not, because i don’t want to pay someone $10 to do it jsut to find out that it did absolutely nothing.

Renton
      Participant

im no expert when it comes to electricty.

but something tells me unless they are the same fets this would not be a good idea.

anyone who knows there electrics want to help out??

vroomvroom55
      Participant

They are all the same FETs, but im not sure if it would even do anything because they are the stock FETs, and if would work, would a 2*3 stack of the stock Xmods Evo FETs be equivalent to a 2*1 stack or maybe even a 2*2 stack of upgraded FETs?

Participant

When you stack Fets, the resistance gets cut in half, and the current-handling capabilities essentially double. I say essentially because Fets were never meant to be “stacked” on top of each other in the first place – The bottom Fet does not have the air contact to effectively cool itself and thus lends itself to failure under hard abuse i.e. Lithium.

A simple answer is yes, a 2×3 stack of stock Fets would help. BUT! If you want to get your moneys’ worth, IMO, I’d have a 2×2 or 2×3 stack of upgraded EVO Fets installed. They have much better specs than the stock units. If you can have the two extra sets of stock-EVO Fets stacked on your car for cheap, you could try it. But I am not sure of the stock EVO Fet’s specs – A 2×3 stack of Stock-EVO Fets might only be as good as a single-layer of upgraded-EVO Fets.

Hope this helps:smiley14:

betty.k
      Participant

@Felix2010 230434 wrote:

When you stack Fets, the resistance gets cut in half, and the current-handling capabilities essentially double. I say essentially because Fets were never meant to be “stacked” on top of each other in the first place – The bottom Fet does not have the air contact to effectively cool itself and thus lends itself to failure under hard abuse i.e. Lithium.

A simple answer is yes, a 2×3 stack of stock Fets would help. BUT! If you want to get your moneys’ worth, IMO, I’d have a 2×2 or 2×3 stack of upgraded EVO Fets installed. They have much better specs than the stock units. If you can have the two extra sets of stock-EVO Fets stacked on your car for cheap, you could try it. But I am not sure of the stock EVO Fet’s specs – A 2×3 stack of Stock-EVO Fets might only be as good as a single-layer of upgraded-EVO Fets.

Hope this helps:smiley14:

yeah, what he said!

also, when you stack fets the gate voltage needs to increase. in your case with lipo cells you should be ok but under normal curcumstances stacking fets causes a delay between you hitting throttle and the car responding.

in the same way that a double stack doubles the current capability each fet halves the gate voltage. :8ball:

vroomvroom55
      Participant

I would get the upgraded ones but i bought a 10 pack of the upgraded FETs for the Xmod Evo, 5 of each type, so im having a 2*3 stack on my R8 and a 2*2 stack on my Hummer, and the stock FETs that was removed im going to use on my Bumblebee Camaro i save a little money. The person who is stacking my FETs for me said he will do all 3 of my cars for 10 US dollars, so i think that’s pretty cheaper considering that every other website charges 15$ or even more for installing a single layer of the upgraded ones. Also i heard that the more i stack, the faster the car goes but the slower it turns, can someone tell me more about this, i think it has something to do with what BettyK was saying.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.