Steering fet go bye bye – help please

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      kitsune
      Participant

Wanted to show of my mini-z to a friend today and discovered something interesting if the steering pot isn t connected the pcb won t let you drive the car … so if for some reason you get no throttle response and everything seems fine at that end of the car check that the wires for the steering pot are still attached.

once I d sorted that out (and placed a metal tie rod in the servo to replace a damaged plastic one) i fired up the Iwaver , tested the motor and then tried to test the steering, it went left ok, but only went about 1/2 way to the right, when i tried again the magic smoke escaped from the steering fet and the top of the fet developed a bit of a bubble.

I ve done a quick search for info on steering/servo fets on ausmicro and microrccenter with no luck, I m hoping someone can save me some time, at worst I ll have to sit down and work out the chip s pinouts myself …

I suspect that there was too much load on the servo motor (the steering seemed a little stiffer than usual, tho not much) and given that I was using 5 cells the poor little fet might have decided that enough was enough, what I would like to know is …

does anybody know what fets I can use as a replacement, and if so any tips/warnings I might need to know …
      or failing that
      could anyone farmiliar with the pin outs of the servo fet for the 01 Iwavers let me know what they are so I can see what I can use
      or failing that
      could someone let me know the details printed on top of their fet in the Iwaver 01 s (might help me work out what I can do.

Thanks in advance

Keymaster

You can use the same FETs as the motor!

BUT

You must replace both, an dnot stack them. I can get you a PAIR or IRF7389s or IRF7317s real quick if you need them tomorrow (Express Post) .. PM me before 4pm 😉

A.

--
      Site Owner Guy.

kitsune
      Participant

Thanks, both for the quick response and the offer, but I can afford to wait, I should be getting the 7317’s from you (they are just going to be even more useful than I had thought) with the te order + the tyres.

I dont see an identical pair of fets up that end of the pcb. I think i have heard that some Iwavers use 1 where as some kyosho use 2, unfortunately I cant post a pic at the mo, but I will when I get the chance …

Once I have all the goodies, I’ll sit down and revamp the whole thing, including the aluminium chassis, I’m thinking of trying a blank PCB wafer to bring down the weight, and instead of just casually hacking it out I might do a design on the ‘puter and try folloing that, that way if it works I can post it on the forums for others to use 🙂

leonli17
      Participant

yea kisune, u might know. where can i get fibreglass sheets(a Blank PCB board except without the copper).

kitsune
      Participant

I wish I knew, I’ll be using one with 1 side copper, the other unclad.
      I got mine from Electus, Jaycar srock them if you can only get them retail, if you can get a trade account set up with electus you can get them wholesale.

Jaycar
      http://www.jaycar.com.au
      HP9512
      Single sided copper clad, for making PCB’s.
      – 150mmx150mm 1 side clad w copper
      1+ RRP: $6.20
      4+ RRP: $5.50
      10+ RRP: $4.90
      Electus Distribution
      http://www.electusdistribution.com.au
      HP9512
      Single sided copper clad, for making PCB’s.
      – 150mmx150mm 1 side clad w copper
      1+ EX-TAX: $3.65
      10+ EX-TAX: $3.34
      25+ EX-TAX: $2.89
      (So you have to add stuff like gst, shipping, insurance etc, but if you are they kind of person who visits Jaycar regularly well worth the effort of setting up an account, they seem to be Jaycar’s supplier/wholesale arm and so the pricings about %30 better than Jaycar – though milage does vary depending on the products.

hope this helps

leonli17
      Participant

thanks alot. i’ll have a look on electrus.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.