steering too sharp

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Admin
      Participant

:smiley4:hi, all:

i’m new to the forum. there’s some pretty good advise here :smiley14:so i thought i’d see if some one could help me with a problem. i just got a pennzoil zexel gt-r kit. the problem is the steering is really sharp. it literally turns on a dime. it also seems to hold for a split second after i release the turning button in both directions. the result is an unintentional 180or sometimes even a spin out :smiley7:. it’s difficult to control the little bugger. anyone else have this problem?any fixes out there?

my guess as to the spin outs was that the surface i was playing on was too slippery (linoleum floor tile). on carpet, however, it doesn’t spin out but still holds the long turn :smiley11:.

anyone?

Admin
      Participant

The surface your using sounds a bit too slippery, might want to look into grabbing a set of “soft” tyres and givinbg them a whirl.Are the linoleum floor tiles polished? I’ve got the same sort of thing on my kitchen floor (unpolished) and the traction holds great with a castrol nismo gt-r 2.6 engine medium tyres setup.

I *wish* both my steering directions were equal though :), left is nice and tight and right is waaaay out. Have you had a look at the steering adjuster switch under the car? Only other things I can think of would be to check there isn’t any dust or stuff on the axle and tyres and to perhaps open the “bonnet” up and make sure the steering mechanism is alright and nothing has come out of place.

Shard

Admin
      Participant

Actually, it sounds perfectly normal. My car did the same thing. You just need to learn to drive :smiley2: Seriously though, you need to learn to anticipate your turns and drive accordingly. One technique is to tap or pulse the turn button to smooth out your turns.

As for tires…unless you buy the AE86 Trueno Tune-up set, you’re not going to find anything softer than the tires you have until August (that’s when the Bit Char-G tire set comes out). However, if you get the Bit Racer tire set, you can put harder tires on the front. That will decrease the initial grip when you turn and make the front tires slide a little through the turn. Then your car will not whip around as fast.

Admin
      Participant

yeah, shouldn’t be anything to worry about. just put harder tires on the front or softer tires on the rear to lessen your oversteer. if the car starts to barely turn, then you went too far. b

Admin
      Participant

Yep, I agree. PUT HARD TIRES ON FRONT. This gives larger turning radius at high speeds and small radus when going slow. The bit racer tires fit perfetcly

Hard in front and soft in back is the only way to go. I wish they made even a harder front tire.

-Peter

Admin
      Participant

thanks for the comments!:smiley15:

putting harder tires on the front wheelssounds like it would make sense.

ylexot: i have been practicing the “tap steering” technique. it seems to help some as well.

ciao for now.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.