Story of my two Nellys.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Izord
      Participant

I ordered two Nelly v1.2 from ph2t. He was very good about sending them.

I have two MR02s. So I installed one, but I must have soldered it wrong, because it smoked both the Nelly and the PCB on the car when I turned it on.

Then I tried the other Nelly in the other car. First I was worried because it didn t work right and started getting hot, then I noticed a little solder on the first connection jumping over to the next soldering pad, so I redid it and then it started working perfectly.

First I tried it with the upgrade kyosho motor. On a speed checker I was getting 20kph before the Nelly, and 24 kph with the Nelly.

Then I assembled a Atomic/Plasma hybrid from ph2t s instructions and broke it in. With an 8T pinion I get 37 kph on ordinary rechargeable AAA batteries. Sweet.

By the way I tried a GPM pinion, the kind with the set-screw, and it was sheeite. Sloppy, wouldn t mesh right, and not even round. I never have had any luck with anything made by GPM. I think GPM is form over function.

I went back to an ordinary Delrin press-on pinion.

By the way, last time I raced Phil, the guy with the X-mods I beat his pants off. Now that I m getting my car dialed in, he can t keep up. He can t turn as tight or keep the line.

I also put an Atomic rear suspension on and I just called phil to make sure he ll bring his cars to work tomorrow. It s all over for him. hehe

ph2t
      Participant

bugger to hear about the first attempt mate, shoot that one back and I ll fix it for ya.

from the speed quoted I take it you built the plasmatomic with neo magnets?

My favorite config at the moment is neos and an 8t as well. If you’re not running with a ball diff then I suggest you get one. I have mine set to a lightly less than medium give (whatever that means, lol! ). I’ve found the iwaver diff more consistent that my GPM one. You can get one from the ausmicro.com shop.

cheers,

ph2t.

Izord
      Participant

ph2t, Yes it s built with the neo magnets. Still going strong.

One other guy at work has ordered a Mini-Z and another is interested.

I gave the first guy some parts to help him out. He’s into electrical tinkering, so I gave him the burnt out PCB and Nelly too. I don’t think you would have wanted to fix it though, because by the time I gave up on it, all the soldered had melted really bad.

But I am waiting for the next revision Nelly for the Li-pols. Are you still working on that project?

Hope to hear from you soon. I’ll probably buy a couple.

Izord

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.