stripped thread suggestions

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      klims
      Participant

i somehow managed to strip the plastic thread on my firelap 04 that holds the centre bit to the back suspension part. ive tried a few things like that plastic tape for plumbing threads to stop leaks, hoping that it would create a tight fit and hold but have so far been unsuccessful. i was gonna resort to filling the hole with glue and jammming the screw in but am convinced that there must be a better way. anyone got any ideas or had any luck with a particular method? i should also mention that i cant use a bigger screw because it is one of those round head rotating ones that is stuck inside the bracket.

rcs2die4
      Participant

Hey klims,

I have always just put a drop of CA glue on top of the hole and then screwed
      in the screw most of the way (not all the way!!!) in. This pushs the glue down the hole and creates a new tread !!! let it dry completey then undo the screw, and your good to go… it has always worked well for me !!!

Edit !!!

HEY HEY, I’m not a New Enthusiast anymore !!! woohoo !!!

klims
      Participant

hey rcs2die4 whats CA glue? so you just put a dot on top so that it doesnt actually drop in, then screw it in? and why not all the way? does this end up stripping the newly created thread?

betty.k
      Participant

i think ca glue (cyoalphabetonate!) is superglue, but don’t quote me on that.

i used to put a blob of superglue into the stripped hole, poke it down there with a toothpick and shake off any excess. you don’t want it to be full, rather you want to coat the walls of the hole. let it dry then tap a new thread with the screw.

but if you wanna do it like it was new again then get yourself a “plastex” kit:
      http://plastex.home.att.net/

i’ve used it on lotsa things like mini z bodies, plastic gearboxes, even my heli is wearing some!
      i seriouisly can’t recommend it enough, it’s a plastic factory in a box! paid for itself many times over! use many, buy lots!:D :8ball:

rcs2die4
      Participant

Betty K,
      Thats the stuff !!! I should have put the brand !!!

Everyone,
      The brand I use is ZAP !! I use this brand for all my hobby gluing needs, especially when I’m building RC planes from bulsa it drys in seconds instead of waiting for hours for wood glue to dry !!! The three main ones are the ZAP CA dries in 1-5 sec (PINK), Slo-Zap CA dries in 30-60 sec (YELLOW) and ZAP-A-GAP CA+ dries in about 20 sec (GREEN). For thread making I use GREEN as it has better gap filling properties for making the thread!!! To glue plastic to plastic use Plasti-Zap as the pink, yellow and green can (not always) leave a white haze on the join

Theres even special foam safe glue for when you/I build rc planes from foam it’s called ZAP-O (O for odorless).. it’s sweet stuff,

Heres a link to all there different types for glue….
      http://zap.supergluecorp.com/zapglues.html

Klims,
      yeah mate I just put a drop of green ZAP on top of the hole, it sorta makes a bubble over the top !!! then screw in the screw…

The reason I dont screw the screw all the way in, is because sometimes it makes it very hard to get the screw back out once the glue has set !!! I normally leave a gap of about 2mm.. I’ve never had an issue removing the screw if i’ve left the gap !!

Hope the info helps !!!

klims
      Participant

yeah its been a great help. will save me days of trial and error. that plastex stuff looks good. do i need to buy it online or is it available in shops? i cant be bothered shopping around and by the sounds of it you have done all the hard work betty.k!

betty.k
      Participant

i’ve never seen plastex in a retail shop but then again i’ve never looked :8ball:

klims
      Participant

so if you dont mind me asking bety.k which kit would you recommend and how much did you pay all up including shipping?

betty.k
      Participant

i was lucky and recieved the small 5g kit as a gift.
      i got it from a guy who said he got it from the guy that imports the stuff into aus. it’s apparently used most in the motorcycle industry, i think “gt motorsports” (makers of plastex) is a bike company. can’t give you any more info other than that.

i’d do a google search, it’ll come up somewhere:smiley2: :8ball:

Ogier
      Participant

I found an expired ebay auction for it but couldn’t post last night, my browser or the site was playing up. Bugger, I can’t find it now.

But it is on UK ebay: check out item # 290003869826 .

Cheers, Graham.

klims
      Participant

thanks for that Ogier. might give a pack a shot and see how i go. if anyone else has some experience with this product or knows of something similar available locally please let me know.

betty.k
      Participant
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.